Popular Tags: misleading_thread_title [+] [View All]
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a whole bunch of additional items promised in the Kickstarter stretch goals. Since we just met another one (release of a Car Wars game) I thought it was a good time to post where we are on that.

/ PDF copies of The Ogre Book & Ogre Scenario Book 1 (e23) - ACHIEVED!
/ Ogre line editor (Daniel Jew/Jen Atkinson/Steve Jackson/Drew (wolf90)) - ACHIEVED!
/ Ogre record sheet app (Ogre War Room) - ACHIEVED!
/ Four Eight extra scenarios by Steve Jackson published (Nov 2012) - Nine scenarios up on website - ACHIEVED!
/ Austin launch event (Nov 2012) - ACHIEVED!
/ Steve at Gencon and Origins - ACHIEVED!
o Ogre Expansion (new units & 1 map, late 2013) - "Late in 2017 at best"
o Ogre Miniatures, 2nd Edition hardcopy & PDF (late 2013) - someday
/ Ogre computer game (end of 2014) - ACHIEVED!
o Car Wars (forum end of 2012, game published late 2013) - forum up, Classic game published, next edition Kickstarter in 2017
/ 30+ minutes Tom Smith music downloadable (no date) - ACHIEVED!
/ 4+ online Scenarios from Contest, compiled into color PDF (no date) - ACHIEVED!
/ Classic counters available (no date) - ACHIEVED!
/ Rules for the KS units (Vulcan, Ninja, Engineers and HWTs) - ACHIEVED!

(Not a stretch goal, but a task SJG has taken on)
o Nightfall scenarios - Last in line

More than half delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that's a lot of goodies still to come. I, for one, am looking forward to the music. New scenarios will be great, but I need to play Casey Joneski a few more times first anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thank you for that. This is the core of what I suggested Phil Reed post given that we were 6 months out from the Austin release party. I was hoping for the list you have put together plus a few notes on effort/progress on things not mentioned in the updates during the last six months. Much better than Phil's "We will announce when there is news. Posting an update to say "no news!" would annoy me. A lot. I'd rather not annoy anyone."

I do have some news on the progress of the Ogre game. Steve told me at the Austin launch party that just prior to the launch party the developer they had handed the game off to bailed returning all the money they had received. SJG was back to having find a developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to Phil I don't think that they want to get our hopes up by giving us dates oy for them to not make it.

It's something that SJG are noted for they never announce anything these days until it's well into production and only street dates when they have literally started shipping from the warehouse.

In all honesty I am not expecting these to be completed until at least 2016, given how the game was delayed, and with particular reference to the assault packs and expansion how low the sales are potentially likely to be, unless if course the expansion can function as a standalone game, something which would be fantastic IMHO.

I have no doubt that all of the stretch goals will be fulfilled, in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bounder wrote:
Thank you for that. This is the core of what I suggested Phil Reed post given that we were 6 months out from the Austin release party. I was hoping for the list you have put together plus a few notes on effort/progress on things not mentioned in the updates during the last six months.

I know hearing "there's no news" can be frustrating. It's frustrating to me at times because I'd love nothing more than to say "Here's the progress!" But I cannot. Our staff time is limited and we're just coming off of a huge crunch that sent to print close to twenty releases, none of which were Ogre titles. (Car Wars fans will be happy to know that Car Wars Classic was one of those titles.)

As we have said before the ODE demolished our schedule and we're working to recover. And with Steve and Daniel both dealing with real life stuff we currently have no staff dedicated to working on Ogre. We're looking into it, but there is no news.

Please notice that we said "no news" about Car Wars for quite a while and then announced that Scott Haring came back to work on Car Wars with us. So "no news" doesn't mean things aren't happening. It means nothing has happened that is ready to be treated as news.

The best place to watch for updates is the Kickstarter page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBigGeordieGeek wrote:

We will finish. But yes, this will take time. We cannot drop our core business and devote all of our staff time to this project since that would ultimately lead to serious problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
TheBigGeordieGeek wrote:

We will finish. But yes, this will take time. We cannot drop our core business and devote all of our staff time to this project since that would ultimately lead to serious problems.

Absolutely if you dropped core bussiness then there may be no money to finish them!

At the end of the day we want the stretch goals fulfilled, but done right and not rushed and not in a way which harms SJG, we do want Ogre and Cars Wars to go on, hence we shall be patient, heck if it takes till 2022, we know they will be done, it's just something that will take as long as it takes.

And I will once again commend Phil for taking the time to come here and give us the answers he is able to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figuring that the release of ODE was a year past the date originally aimed for, the stretch goals should also be pushed a year back or more.

They will get done when they get done. I prefer SJ Games takes the time to make a good final product than make a rushed, half baked product to make people happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who clicked on the thread title expecting some recommended stretches to do before or after lifting the ODE box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited with update on music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Atkinson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
selenite wrote:
There were a whole bunch of additional items promised in the Kickstarter stretch goals. Since we just met another one (release of a Car Wars game) I thought it was a good time to post where we are on that.

So we're past the half-way point.

Thank you. This is very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated to reflect online release of winning scenario contest entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
/ Car Wars (forum end of 2012, game published late 2013) - ACHIEVED!

The forum is up. The game has not been published - this is for 6e which should appear on Kickstarter.

What's been done now is a reprint/clean up of Car Wars Classic and the recent Kickstarter of Car Wars Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
selenite wrote:
/ Car Wars (forum end of 2012, game published late 2013) - ACHIEVED!

The forum is up. The game has not been published - this is for 6e which should appear on Kickstarter.

What's been done now is a reprint/clean up of Car Wars Classic and the recent Kickstarter of Car Wars Arena.

Yeah, sixth edition comes later. Scott has been working on it and I've started running manufacturing specs through the factory. Scott sent me his dream component list. Now I crush his dreams with reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Scott sent me his dream component list. Now I crush his dreams with reality.

Ouch!

I assume the miniature powered cars with working weapons will make the cut…

<grin>

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

Looking up the $700k stretch goal: "We will launch a Kickstarter project for Car Wars! We *think* this will turn out to be a refinement of Car Wars Compendium 2.5, but you'll tell us. Our supporters at the [new] $23 level and higher will be invited to join an exclusive Car Wars forum, where we’ll build the new edition from the ground up."

Yep, you're right. I'll edit to reflect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the stretch goals mentioned Steve producing 8 scenarios - 4 to be released November 2012 and 4 to be released December 2012. whistle

selenite wrote:

Regarding the latest update about the scenario contest entries, 14 weeks to release all 14 scenarios? Then 60 days after each scenario for feedback? Then time to incorporate the feedback into each scenario?
Going by that timeline, we'll see the final version of all 14 fan-created scenarios sometime in late October 2015, at the earliest. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
. . . we'll see the final version of all 14 fan-created scenarios sometime in late October 2015, at the earliest. shake

Later than that.

We will not rush this. Each scenario is being given time for proper playtesting and review BEFORE assembling everything into a finished PDF package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
PhilReed wrote:
Tennberg wrote:
. . . we'll see the final version of all 14 fan-created scenarios sometime in late October 2015, at the earliest. shake

Later than that.

We will not rush this. Each scenario is being given time for proper playtesting and review BEFORE assembling everything into a finished PDF package.

Thank you.

I have a pretty good feel for how much work goes into play testing, and really appreciate your effort to ensure good, balanced scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
I believe the stretch goals mentioned Steve producing 8 scenarios - 4 to be released November 2012 and 4 to be released December 2012. whistle

Checking - yep, four for the 90k goal and four more at 130k. Edited.

Yay for crowdsourcing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Tennberg wrote:

Later than that.

I should hope so. There's nothing worse than half-baked scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
Thank you.

I have a pretty good feel for how much work goes into play testing, and really appreciate your effort to ensure good, balanced scenarios.

You're very welcome. We have zero interest in throwing these scenarios out there and saying "we're done!" Steve Jackson Games celebrates 35 years in 2015; our plan is to do what it takes to be proud of today's work 35 years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:

o Four Eight extra scenarios by Steve Jackson published (Nov 2012) - Assault Packs in playtest

I still haven't gotten confirmation from anyone at SJG as to what the Assault Packs are. The updates on KS seem to imply that they're going to be available for purchase through their online store, as they'll require new counters, sheets, etc. Also, there are going to be only four of them.

The stretch goals said Steve would create eight scenarios based on counters in the base game. These scenarios would then be posted online. That seemed to imply that they'd be free.

TL;DR - I think the eight scenarios and 4 Assault Packs are different things. The Assault Packs seem to not be a part of any stretch goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
TL;DR - I think the eight scenarios and 4 Assault Packs are different things. The Assault Packs seem to not be a part of any stretch goal.

They're not an exact match, no. When we have more info from SJG I'll update the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated to show Steve Jackson taking the Line Editor hat.

Announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.