Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for feedback on Rehtmeyer, Inc. to determine if they are any good. They manufacture and license games. Has anyone used them? Let me know your experience with them good or bad. Please post or email me (info@chaostle.com). Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have never used Rehtmeyer to handle any of my licensing deals, because they charge too much for their services. They charge on the front end and expect a 40% royalty-split on the end. They also charge too much for manufacturing services.

If you are needing manufacturing for you product, then I would suggest that you first should shop around and take bids for your product. If you are seeking an agent, then contact: Andrew Burton with Excel Development or www.exceld.com . He has excellent references and everybody from Hasbro to Wizard's of the Coast knows this agent. HE has been quite successful over the years.

I usually handle my own licensing deals, but I do shop around for manufacturing (US Manufacturers Only). I don't use Chinesse manufacturers or any other overseas companies. I pay a little more in the shortrun, but save in the longrun.

I hope that this helps somewhat.

James (nventit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation of Andrew Berton (correct spelling). He is quite professional and is very above-board and honest. Very forthright and matter-of-fact as well.

I've met with him for an evaluation of my game and will be meeting with him a second time tomorrow to actually play the game.

I would recommend contacting him. He's located in Minneapolis, but you can mail him your stuff.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the information and recommendations. I may take your advice moving forward.

I cannot find a single person who has had a good experience with Rehtmeyer. There must be some. They have been in business for many years. I am already working with them, but am experiencing major problems. Does anyone have any stories they can share, good or bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Grok -

Just because Rehtmeyer has been in business for many years doesn't mean anything. There are many companies out there that have been in business for a long time and are very profitable, but you must understand how many of these licensing/manufacturing/marketing companies really make their profits.

In my experience Rehtmeyer charges too much for every service that they offer and then, if their client wishes to hire them to market their product - Rehtmeyer gets a 40% share of your future royalties. The only one in this business relationship who has risked and spent the most is the designer/inventor. Rehtmeyer really doesn't assume any of the risks involved as their customer has paid for every step along the way.

Many companies charge the designer/inventor a fee to review the product that ranges from as little as $99.00 to as high as $350.00 per product review. Even if the company did nothing except give the designers their opinion of the product and the company averages 1000 product review a year, then the company would have made $99,000.00 to $350,000.00 in product alone. However, I supect that the number of reviews are much higher.

The first thing that designers and inventors should be aware of is that these types of companies prey on the inexperienced designers by feeding their egos. The companies will tell the designers that their product is the best thing since sliced bread and then, mention the possibility of making millions in royalties if the product is successful. This is usually all it takes to convince the designer to open their wallets and jump in blindly. If the designer doesn't commit right away, then these companies will urge them by stating "You need to act on this now, before someone else beats you to the market first". And, other things like this.

Now Rehtmeyer is different than the average invention company (that you see advertising on tv), because they do actually manufacture games for their clients, but for a rather steep price. I know this to be true, because I have experience shopping projects around to manufacturers to find the best production costs. Plus, as I stated before, Rehtmeyer charges for everything and too much, but you do have a choice to use them or not. Their not forcing you to use them - the fact that there are so many inexperienced designers that are too eager to see their games published is all that is needed to make a huge profit.

When dealing with any company that offers these types of services you should ask for their references, track-record, and to see all of the products that they have successfully marketed or licensed within the last 10 years. Ask how many submissions that they usually reject verses the number of submission that they normally accept during any given year. Then, using simple math you can figure how many products that they have successfully marketed/licensed in any given year.

If the percentage of successful marketing and licensing deals is less than let's say (5% of the total accepted product submissions) then its time to shop around for a more successful agent with better arrangement and terms for the designer. A successful agent will only accept less than 5% of the total submissions received and usually will charge a small fee for their time to review the product, but this will deter folks that aren't really serious not to waste the agent's time. A well-known and successful agent will usually have thousands of industry contacts and will know most of them on a first name bases and this really helps to pitch an idea to a company.

Most companies that are only in the business to make their money from filing copyrights, patents, trademarks and adding the products that they represent to some type of database will not know the people or companies that they are submitting or pitching the products to for possible licensing deals. I have received product submissions from some of these companies by mail and I always throw them away unopened.

Unless I am expecting a product submission from a designer or company that I have previously been dealing with, then all others that I receive will not get any further than my trash can. There is contracts, paperwork and agreements that must be on file before I agree to review product submissions and none of these idea companies follow these rules. They just mass-mail the product submissions to several companies at once hoping that someone will come knocking on their door desiring to produce the product.

A real game agent will make an appointment, fill out all the paperwork and will understand how the industry works from the inside out. That's one reason why these agents are so successful.

I would suggest contacting Andrew Berton with Excel Development: www.exceld.com and talk to him, before using Rehtmeyer or any other licensing agency or marketing company. If you have not heard anything good about a company from more than one source, then that should alone raise some RED Flags in your mind.

I hope that this helps a bit....I am not saying that Rehtmeyer is a scam - I am just saying take your time and do some research before settling on hiring one company or another.

James (nventit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the excellent information and advice. I appreciate your time!

Unfortunately none of Rehtmeyer's references on their web site are checking out. Strangely, many of the games they claim they produced also appear on the Grand Prix International (a competitor) web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well - then one of them is fibbing, unless their really working together or jointly worked the deals. Don't reley solely on the information on their website. Contact the company by phone and talk to a real person and ask all of your questions, until your pleased with the answers. Contact the BBB and at least 5 of their references for the last 5 years.

When contacting references be sure to ask how much they spent on services and if they have made more then their investment or less than their investment back from their royalties. Would they recommend the company to their parents now that they have worked with them - is another question that I would personally ask. Most people would do their best to protect their parents and would not recommend a company that may rip them off.

Like I said before, if you are experiencing problems and you cannot get answers to your questions from the company, then this should raise RED FLAGS and end your relationship with the company, before spending an untold amount of money on something that you are not comfortable with. If you have already spent money with the company, then just write it off as a lost and find a new company or agent to work with.

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiquidSky wrote:
Strangely, many of the games they claim they produced also appear on the Grand Prix International (a competitor) web site.

Just giving the benefit of the doubt here, but often times a person may have worked in partnership with , or as an employee of, another company. This would explain the duplication of portfoio items.

Just trying to be fair.

As James has clearly stated...you just have to do your due diligence and pick the company you feel most comfortable working with, both financially and personally.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elegwen O\\\'Maoileoin
Canada
flag msg tools
We are just finishing our work with Rehtmeyer. They are unreliable in many ways. The quality of the products through their company in China is equal to any thing out there. The issue is not their Chinese cohorts, rather their own unwillingness to create clear terms, and abide by them. They withold information key to production process in order to use it as an excuse for delays farther down the line.

They have charged for unlawful expenses and taken NO responsibility for their delays due to competence of reliability.

Golden Laurel Entertainment DOES NOT recommend anyone work with Rehtmeyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Degen-Portnoy
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions. This is very valuable feedback.

As I have continued my research into this area, I came across a website I wish to share, the National Inventor Fraud Center, available at: http://www.inventorfraud.com/index.htm. The site contains advice and links that align very nicely with my own research.

Here is the blurb about the site (from the site):

About The NIFC
Michael S. Neustel, a U.S. Registered Patent Attorney, founded the National Inventor Fraud Center, Inc. (NIFC) with the goal to provide information to consumers about invention promotion companies and how people can market their ideas. Many inventors do not realize that some invention marketing companies charge thousands of dollars, yet have success rates of 0.00%. The goal of the NIFC is to educate and help inventors make the right decisions. The NIFC is owned by Neustel Law Offices, LTD.

Hope that helps,

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evvie red
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
yes we just ended our relationship with rehtmeyer,she licensed us we paid $500 to have instructions completed by them.We never got instructions they said they game was not this or that but why did they license it on knowing the game but not finishing up on the promise of getting our game out.We are know in getting our contract broken with them this week.Things were drug out too farand we got no where and thinking our game was ready to be sold to a company.We are very disappointed and alot money wasted.soblue

atttention please::
TO ANYONE WHO HAD READ MY COMMENTS ON REHTMEYER,I AM CORRECTING MY STATEMENT ON REHTMEYER COMPANY.We were upset on the situation on our game not being manufactured and in great frustration I replied in a non professional manner.Carol and her company did work with us very hard and had a good relationship with her company during a long process of correcting our game.We just started in game board industry and not aware and highly unaware on how it worked.We are truley sorry for the negative remarks toward Rehtmeyer for we apologize for any misfortune or negativeness toward Rehtmeyer Inc.I acted out of emotion and frustration which was not called for.We hope to learn more on game industry and not go in blind not knowing all the ins and outs of the industry.
much apology for advice that should not had been given thru beginners
evvred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a mw
msg tools
devil
DO NOT USE REHTMEYER INC. I have had years of dealing with problems she caused and so have many many others. She does not have her own China sobluefactories as she says and she will do anything to get your money and then fail to get your product. The courts are full of people tying to get their money back.
There are many good companies out there to help you get started. This is not one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Rehtmeyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ask "Grok" aka: Mark Jacobs, about his hidden agenda. Mark has been working with our company for more than 4 years now. That's thousands of man hours, numerous production items, etc. His statements are not only unfair, but wrongful. He is angry to conceal the fact that he breached his manufacturing contract because he didn't have the funds to produce the remainder of the game. I assure you we tried everything to make him happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Rehtmeyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This posting will answer the question as to why our products are on someone else's site. Ask Ann Wiesbrod who made this posting. Here's the real behind the scenes-- better than the movie, I assure you! Ann made a deal with our then general manager to steal our intellectual property (hers and others) and our work in an effort to get around paying for it. She decided to go around us to pick up the product directly from one of our partners (the same ones who took our general manager to their company for access to our clients) thus allowing Ms. Wiesbrod to take it without paying us for it. Mind you, that company still sent us their bill. Our General manager now claims that any and all work done at Rehtmeyer Inc. belong to him (he really didn't do all the work, though) and apparently and he's posted them on another web site where he now works. I'd think he'd be a hero to Ann and others.

So, no one was giving the real facts. Ann got her product without paying for it. We sent her to collections and she didn't like that. There's the real story. Now who do you think took advantage of whom?

I think I'll write a novel about this....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
creht wrote:
This posting will answer the question as to why our products are on someone else's site. Ask Ann Wiesbrod who made this posting. Here's the real behind the scenes-- better than the movie, I assure you! Ann made a deal with our then general manager to steal our intellectual property (hers and others) and our work in an effort to get around paying for it. She decided to go around us to pick up the product directly from one of our partners (the same ones who took our general manager to their company for access to our clients) thus allowing Ms. Wiesbrod to take it without paying us for it. Mind you, that company still sent us their bill. Our General manager now claims that any and all work done at Rehtmeyer Inc. belong to him (he really didn't do all the work, though) and apparently and he's posted them on another web site where he now works. I'd think he'd be a hero to Ann and others.

So, no one was giving the real facts. Ann got her product without paying for it. We sent her to collections and she didn't like that. There's the real story. Now who do you think took advantage of whom?

I think I'll write a novel about this....

Well, some punctuation and a little grammar would probably help the novel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Doyle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Carol Rehtmeyer -

If what you are claiming is true, then I would like to be the first to say that I am sorry for disking your company as I did under my old screen name - nventit.

That being said, I do think that your company charges way too much for product reviews and manafucturing services. Your licensing fees are in-line with other companies and agents in the same industry. I understand that it takes time to review products, but why charge any more than $25.00 for the service? The review fee would still be high enough to prevent any non-serious designer from wasting your time, but more affordable for serious (straving artists types) to submit their products to you for a possible opportunity to getting an agent to rep them and their product(s).

The only reason that I can honestly see to charge so much as a review fee, is because its your company's bread and butter and all of the other services are available to those that are determined to do things on their own. This is my main reason that I do not use any of these types of companies is because they appear to be in the business of ripping eager designers off. Your company could be quite different, so I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

On another note, I am quite impressed that you joined the BGG to defend yourself and your company. This demostrates to me that you do stand-up for yourself and your company. I do feel a little betrayed with Grok, because I used some of my valuable time to respond to his posts and now I learn that all he was trying to do is trash you and your company for personal gains of somekind. Now that's wrong and don't you have any legal option in this specific case (Slander comes to mind, but you would have to prove it).

James (nventit2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Rehtmeyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thank you for your note and willingness to see the big picture.

We do charge $99 for our online review and I know to some that seems like a lot. Long ago, when we reviewed all ideas for free, we were overwhelmed with crayon drawings, really bad ideas and lots of people with lots of needs. We found that charging a nominal fee allowed us to spend more time on fewer, better ideas. We don't just review idea, but try to guide products in unique and more marketable directions--I believe we are the only ones in the industry that do this.

I also founded the Toy & Game Inventor's Forum (TGIF- now in its 11th year) specifically as a way to educate and provide inventors with direct access to my Rolodex of the "who's who" in the toy industry. Our next TGIF forum is coming up next month: www.tgifcon.com. If you call me, I will help you come to the show so you can see and judge for yourself. I know you'll be impressed. Phone: 630-906-9304

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Doyle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello Everyone -

Today I had the pleasure of talking to Carol Rehtmeyer by phone and I have to compliment her on the degree of professionalism that she had exercised during our conversation. I decided to add my impressions to this thread as I know that many designers and inventors have concerns about doing business with Rehtmeyer Inc., and I just felt the need to share with everyone my personal impressions regarding this company and the founder of it.

Ms. Rehtmeyer answered all of my questions that I had posed to her without avoiding any of them. I understand much more about Rehtmeyer Inc than I did before the call. My professional opinion is that doing business with Rehtmeyer Inc is worth the time and the money in regards to the right product and situation. I mean, if a designer is prepared to presenting their very best design and that the product is developed into a workable and playable prototype...anything short of that would not be the right product for this company.

Before, writing off her company - please do yourself a favor and contact Ms. Rehtmeyer (Rehtmeyer Inc) and ask your questions that you have for her and if you are pleased with her answers, then give her a fair chance to possibly represent your venture. Still if you have any doubts about doing business with her company or any other company, then contact the BBB, so to investigate the company that you may be doing business with in the future.

I personally would be willing to give Rehtmeyer Inc a chance to represent one of my future products and I would report on the experience during the entire process. Remember the old saying "You can't please everyone", so with this in mind - some folks will never be satisfied no matter what and I am referring to the other poster on this thread. If you are one of the posters that I am referring to, then I welcome you to share more detail about your situation and exactly what you have experienced to make you form these opinions about Rehtmeyer Inc.

I have been in the Toy and Game Industry for over twenty-years and I have experienced the good and the bad this industry has to offer. I know what questions to ask and what answers should be received and I have to say that Carol answered them completely leaving me no doubt that she and her company is above-board and one to be given a chance.

Thank you Ms. Rehtmeyer for allowing me the opportunity to speak with you via phone this afternoon and I will be in contact with you in the future. I am looking forward to any future opportunities to work with you regarding a future product of mine.

James (nventit2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Z
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm going to put my two cents in here with my experience. I had the occasion to use Rehtmeyer's $99 online review service twice, about a year ago. I was quite satisfied with it each time. You fill out a questionaire, and describe your game in about 1000 words. You can also attach up to 5 photos of the game. This is how the service was when I used it--I don't know if it has changed.

Within a few business days, I received an e-mailed report with their opinions of the game. I felt satisfied with the report. It had some good suggestions, and it was professionally prepared. I don't know if Carol herself did it. It was obvious that they did read through the game description and look at the photos. Like I mentioned, I used this service on two occasions and was satisfied with it on each. $99 might be a bit pricey, but then again this is a very specialized industry. There isn't someone on every block who has years of boardgame industry experience.

The problem was when I tried to obtain some information on manufacturing the game, since they indicated that "they would love to help with the manufacturing and promotion of the game." What I found was that I just couldn't easily obtain some basic information. All I wanted to know at first was a very rough estimate of what the manufacturing would cost. It was just a simple card game in a box, and I wanted an idea if I was looking at $1 per copy, $5, $10, or what. It didn't seem like a hard question, but it was very hard to get an answer.

All of my e-mails and phone calls were taken by a particular secretary, who, for lack of a better description, was obviously nuts. I don't know if the secretary was trying to be a big shot and answer questions that she was really supposed to forward to someone else, or what. Several weeks later I received a follow up phone call from someone at their company who spoke very poor English, and who was also quite "mixed up", to say the least.

To make a long story short, I was just turned off, and couldn't imagine continuing the manufacturing process with Rehtmeyer. Not only did I not get the answers that I was looking for, but it was obvious to me that they really weren't all that interested in my business. Again, if I had spoken to Carol directly, maybe things would have been different, but I couldn't get passed this one nutjob of a secretary. I was actually tempted to send Carol a certified letter just to see if she was even aware of any of this, because maybe she wasn't. Bottom line, if I'm going to spend over $30,000 with a company to manufacture my game, I require the utmost of attention and professionalism.

I don't know what to make of Rehtmeyer--I've read many conflicting things from people. Carol if you read this, I'd actually like to use your online review service yet again, and I'd consider having you manufacture my game, but I would need the assurance that you would be personally available to answer all of my questions every single step of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nventit wrote:
Hi Grok -

Just because Rehtmeyer has been in business for many years doesn't mean anything. There are many companies out there that have been in business for a long time and are very profitable, but you must understand how many of these licensing/manufacturing/marketing companies really make their profits.

In my experience Rehtmeyer charges too much for every service that they offer and then, if their client wishes to hire them to market their product - Rehtmeyer gets a 40% share of your future royalties. The only one in this business relationship who has risked and spent the most is the designer/inventor. Rehtmeyer really doesn't assume any of the risks involved as their customer has paid for every step along the way.

Many companies charge the designer/inventor a fee to review the product that ranges from as little as $99.00 to as high as $350.00 per product review. Even if the company did nothing except give the designers their opinion of the product and the company averages 1000 product review a year, then the company would have made $99,000.00 to $350,000.00 in product alone. However, I supect that the number of reviews are much higher.

The first thing that designers and inventors should be aware of is that these types of companies prey on the inexperienced designers by feeding their egos. The companies will tell the designers that their product is the best thing since sliced bread and then, mention the possibility of making millions in royalties if the product is successful. This is usually all it takes to convince the designer to open their wallets and jump in blindly. If the designer doesn't commit right away, then these companies will urge them by stating "You need to act on this now, before someone else beats you to the market first". And, other things like this.

Now Rehtmeyer is different than the average invention company (that you see advertising on tv), because they do actually manufacture games for their clients, but for a rather steep price. I know this to be true, because I have experience shopping projects around to manufacturers to find the best production costs. Plus, as I stated before, Rehtmeyer charges for everything and too much, but you do have a choice to use them or not. Their not forcing you to use them - the fact that there are so many inexperienced designers that are too eager to see their games published is all that is needed to make a huge profit.

When dealing with any company that offers these types of services you should ask for their references, track-record, and to see all of the products that they have successfully marketed or licensed within the last 10 years. Ask how many submissions that they usually reject verses the number of submission that they normally accept during any given year. Then, using simple math you can figure how many products that they have successfully marketed/licensed in any given year.

If the percentage of successful marketing and licensing deals is less than let's say (5% of the total accepted product submissions) then its time to shop around for a more successful agent with better arrangement and terms for the designer. A successful agent will only accept less than 5% of the total submissions received and usually will charge a small fee for their time to review the product, but this will deter folks that aren't really serious not to waste the agent's time. A well-known and successful agent will usually have thousands of industry contacts and will know most of them on a first name bases and this really helps to pitch an idea to a company.

Most companies that are only in the business to make their money from filing copyrights, patents, trademarks and adding the products that they represent to some type of database will not know the people or companies that they are submitting or pitching the products to for possible licensing deals. I have received product submissions from some of these companies by mail and I always throw them away unopened.

Unless I am expecting a product submission from a designer or company that I have previously been dealing with, then all others that I receive will not get any further than my trash can. There is contracts, paperwork and agreements that must be on file before I agree to review product submissions and none of these idea companies follow these rules. They just mass-mail the product submissions to several companies at once hoping that someone will come knocking on their door desiring to produce the product.

A real game agent will make an appointment, fill out all the paperwork and will understand how the industry works from the inside out. That's one reason why these agents are so successful.

I would suggest contacting Andrew Berton with Excel Development: www.exceld.com and talk to him, before using Rehtmeyer or any other licensing agency or marketing company. If you have not heard anything good about a company from more than one source, then that should alone raise some RED Flags in your mind.

I hope that this helps a bit....I am not saying that Rehtmeyer is a scam - I am just saying take your time and do some research before settling on hiring one company or another.

James (nventit)

When you contact one of these companies about your game, how complete component-wise is it supposed to be? If it is solid, but it is all prototype blocks of wood and a deck of stick-men on cards, do you wait until you've spent big money with graphic designers before you approach? Or do they help you develop the game components too? Again, I'm assuming the rules, playtesting and all have been done (with cheap stuff), but not the finished product. How much of a prototype will they allow? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very surprised that Carol Rehtmeyer has the nerve to respond to this post defending herself by insulting the inventors she has hurt. This is considered professionalism? My intention of asking about Rehtmeyer was to see if others had similar experiences to mine. To be fair, I asked for both good and bad experiences.

Please do your own research to make an educated decision before working with any company. Check out lawsuits at sites such as http://www.lexisnexis.com and http://www.knowx.com. Check with industry leaders that can help you get your game to market such as http://www.discovergames.com. Also follow up with past clients such as me and Ann Weisbrod and Rick at http://www.rehtmeyerscam.com and many others. Please note that I do not agree or disagree with claims made by other Rehtmeyer clients. I can only say by my own experiences that I do not recommend doing business with Carol Rehtmeyer. You need to do your own research and make your own decisions. Best wishes to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a mw
msg tools
Yup... Carol you should write a novel.. you are great at fabricating fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Ryan
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grock,

Let me just preface my reply with this. I've only seen the manufacture of one board game start to finish. This has been my experience:

1.) My daughter and I created the game.

2.) I e-mailed Rehtmeyer to get a quote of how much it would cost to have the game manufactured.

3.) Received a reply from a nice gentleman who asked me to list each component in detail. I did this and never heard back from them until I was well on my way of having the game manufactured with another company.

4. Contacted:Mr.Michael Marraof:
Marra Design Associates, Inc.
7007 Dakota Ave, Chanhassen, MN 55317-9583
(952) 937-8141
MDA1Mike@aol.com
Established Since: 1971
Areas of Expertise: Full Product Development & Modeling Services
5.)Sent our game prototype to him.
6.)Short answer: He said don't bother. Many stock market games out there already. Demand is low. Gave very detailed feedback-a six page letter, PLUS eleven pages of examples of failed stock market board games already on the market. Highly recommend Mr. Marra for his frankness.

7.)Decided to proceed anyway.

8.)Researched other manufacturing companies: Delano Services, Insight World Group, LLC, etc. Prices were too high for my shoestring budget. When I called Delano Services, I spoke with a very knowledgeable man in the designing department and we got onto the subject of game boxes. He asked the dimensions of ours and I told him "the same as the "Monopoly" TM" box." He suggested the 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" size game box because it takes up less space on the store shelves. I was always impressed with his help, because it was such a big thing for me to get any kind of help.

8.) Found "Mr. Chips":
http://www.mrchips.net/
My Contact there is Ms. Natasha Kovari.

She gave me a quote to manufacture the entire game including all components: outer box, board, plastic formed tray to hold the dice, game chips, three decks of cards, play money, rules. I am very happy with the finished product. Very good quality. My main complaint was that it took so long. But looking back at what I know now, it was good it took so long because I made several changes, and additions to our game. Mr. Chips is located in the U.S. but their manufacturing source is in China. Very reasonable price to manufacture 2,500 games.

9.)Found Mr. Paul Akers of "One Voice advertising concepts:
http://www.ovadcon.com/

He is such a patient professional. He put all our artwork on digital files in the format it needed to be to meet manufacturing specifications. He also did all the work to get my website up and running, after I told him what I needed.

www.lookoutwallst.com

Mr. Akers also put my daughter's artwork and the text I wrote on digital files for our game's brochures

10.)I'd like to suggest that you do the following yourself. (Don't let middlemen get involved because they want to charge you an arm & a leg to "help" you. Go online straight to the U.S. Copyright Office, TM Office, UPC Code website, etc.

11.) But do go to a reputable attorney to have your company established as a LLC, or other entity you would like. (Getting a referral from your bank's president, vp, or loan officer may be a good place to start if you don't have an attorney.)

12.) What have I learned from this experience? Don't give up on your dream. I know our game has a very slim chance of making it "big", but if nothing else I've given my daughter a first hand experience into the spirit of being an entrepreneur at a young age. She was eleven when we started this project and will turn fourteen in November.

13.) My challenge now is marketing. We've had a few articles in the newspapers. The latest one led me to this forum after I wrote for help with marketing our game. If you would like to read about that, it is under the heading, "Mom and Daughter."

14.) I've found that every step of the way is a challenge. Marketing is just another one to overcome.

Grock, I hope this helps.

With best wishes,
Kathleen Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grok Havoc
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for your comments. I checked out your website and your game looks wonderful. Congratulations on getting it manufactured!

I also looked into other manufacturers. I even went out to Michigan and visited DeLano (http://www.delanoservice.com) to see their facility and production capabilities. It was neat to see the games being produced first hand. They were very friendly and knowledgeable people. I would recommend them if you could afford to have your game manufactured in the US. I also visited GPI (http://www.grandprixintl.com) out in Massachusetts. They were extremely helpful and reasonably priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Ryan
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Grock,

for your words of encouragement.

I totally forgot I had researched Grand Prix also for manufacturing, along with Delano as mentioned above.

It must be such a trip to see the games being produced down an assembly line as you mentioned. I would have loved to have seen our game being manufactured and would have videocammed it, to document the event. =-)

The only time I saw things being produced was years ago in the Hershey's Chocolate Factory in Oakdale, CA. What fun.

With best wishes,
Kathleen Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |