Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally a Pillar session. Due to Pillar getting lambasted on here lately and the last time I played vs. the deck I expected this to be a serious rollover.

Fight 1: Me first. I like going first with Flit because it lets me choose the element AND the first character isn't committed, thanks to retrieve.

F: Tittertweet (2f)

Nothing like dropping a bomb on Pillar the first play. Tempting her to retreat to get rid of the card at the same time as letting her know I can ignore her power text all day long.

P: Devius Maximus (2f)

Another strange early play, dumping a high earth character in a fire battle. Noted this mentally for earth purposes later.

F: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Highchirp + Launch Itching Bugs + Launch Flaming Dust (5f)

I've got stuff in-hand to hit at least 5f again. I'm intending to leave the character down as its ability really doesn't do jack against the Pillar.

P: Gulpus Permanentus + Potion of Cosmic Power + Giant Butterfly Morningwind (6f)

Thought this was a big booster waste, especially since she didn't play a second to beef it up, but didn't know the contents of her hand. Note I had Distract Holy Dragon in my hand as of the last turn's draw, so I was ready to start drawing stuff out.

F: (Retrieve Launch Itching Bugs) Flitterflutter + Launch Itching Bugs + Launch Burning Earth (6f)

Take that, crazy butterfly. I love me some Itching Bugs.

P: Crysalus Frendus + Potion of Sparkling Fire + Caterpillar Fireeater (6f)

I think Pillar forgot I still had Tittertweet in hand. Sucks to be her. I decided at this point to bury Flitterflutter since Pillar only has two supports in the deck.

F: (Retrieve Launch Itching Bugs) Tittertweet + Launch Itching Bugs + Launch Boiling Oil (4f, since I only needed to match 2 now thanks to Tittertweet)

She can't let me go on like this, ignoring boosters and caterpillars right and left.

P: Bigus Musselus + Giant Butterfly Eveningbreeze (4f)

Both supports are in play now. I'm seeing the writing on the wall in this fight, but I'm fine with it. Another big earth character is gone and I'm starting to see this fight as sacrificing a single dragon to really open up things for myself later.

F: (Retrieve Tittertweet and Launch Itching Bugs) Squadron Leader Squawk (4f)

Just going through the motions, trying to draw more stuff out before the retreat.

P: Gloria Gracia (6f)

Didn't notice what Pillar retrieved. Should have paid attention.

F: Distract Holy Dragon + Retreat

Could have matched 6f, but only by burning a booster, which obviously makes no sense now.

Pillar 1, Flit 0

Fight 2:

F: Tittertweet (2e)

Earth, naturally, because two of Pillar's three strong earth characters are already history. Tittertweet, well... just because. This is my third play of this guy already.

P: Smartia Pantia (3e)

If she decides to go back and forth with me here, alternating chars and boosters to dance around Tittertweet, she's gonna lose. I'm perfectly willing to play that game and decided here to start playing the character drain game.

F: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Tittertweet + Launch Itching Bugs (3e)

All recyclable.

P: Bodius Maloderus (4e)

Another single character. By this point I'm already starting to think "game over".

F: (Retrieve Tittertweet and Launch Itching Bugs) Bashdin + Launch Slippery Slime (4e)

Change of pace. Pillar discarded Crysalus Frendus (which must have been the card she brought back with Gloria Gracia) and Caterpillar Lightseeker.

P: Speedius Unnecessarius (4e)

Digging her own grave? I think my opponent isn't really hip on the idea of retreating strategically.

F: Wing Commander Razorfeather + Launch Itching Bugs (5e)

Trying to raise the stakes a bit, yet still remaining totally retrievable.

P: Bottelus Emptius + Potion of Trembling Earth (6e)

Ugh. NOT happy with that, since I can no longer retrieve my strongest character or the retrievable booster.

F: Tittertweet + Launch Fire Flash (3e)

Voiding the booster and letting me refresh my hand at the end of the turn, at least.

P: Wild Unicorn (3e)

Shield to block 3e? Maybe the end is near.

F: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Tittertweet + Launch Locust Paratroopers + Launch Rain of Fire

I don't think she's gonna be able to match here.

P: Retreat

She's not. Tittertweet is now finally gone with two of my strongest boosters. I'm hoping the two dragons are worth it. I'm also wondering if I should have played a more disposable character here.

Flit 1, Pillar 0

Fight 3:

P: Deploy Butterfly + Introvertus Completus (4f)

Tittertweet kept her from seeing my hand for some time last fight, apparently. Sweet. This time she sees me from the beginning. I expected her to start with something a lot more decisive than this.

F: Commence Megalaunch + Squadron Leader Squawk (4f)

Just threw the leadership to burn it since I've already gone through a lot of boosters and I want to clear it out of my hand. I'm guessing I end up doing this about 75-80% of the time I play Flit because it never seems to be in-hand at a useful time.

P: BounceBack (4f)

Huh? I was scratching my head at this one.

F: (Retrieve Squadron Leader Squawk) Beguile Holy Dragon (discarded Peckswift, Steepstoop, Flight Leader Squawk) + Squadron Leader Squawk (4f)

Treading water in this fight and putting myself up another dragon.

P: Colossus Gigantus + Potion of Mutation (5f)

The last remaining big earth character, again used in a fire fight. So far this has been a strange game. A lot of Pillar's stuff has seen less than optimal usage, which usually spells doom for that deck, but so far this has been fairly well-contested.

F: Fel Nar Gan (0e)

I've got Titanic Gauntlets and Earthwater in-hand and switching the element to prepare to use those cards is right up my alley.

P: Halitosus Teriblus + Heat Haze (1e)

Oof. This voids the use of the two boosters above for the rest of the fight, and the rest of my hand is fairly weak without them.

F: Retreat

Pillar is only at five cards, so retreating here makes complete sense. Removes Heat Haze from the table and allows me to start the next fight in Earth, just where I wanna be. After stealing a dragon with Beguile I break even for this fight anyway.

Flit 1, Pillar 0

Fight 4:

F: Cheepchirrup (2e)

My buddy Cheep. This is a real hamstringer for Pillar, at a time in the game where it's really inconvenient for her to retreat to get the card off the table.

P: Lonus Mightius (2e)

*whittle whittle*

F: Trillilling + Titanic Gauntlets (4e)

Flit has a lot of characters that really put a hurting on Pillar. I throw Titanic Gauntlets here because with the cards I have left in-hand it's a bit weaker than Earthwater.

She has to be running out of characters.

Flit 2, Pillar 0

Fight 5:

P: Primus Magicus + Caterpillar Watertamer (6f)

Too little, too late. She only had three cards remaining in-hand with none in her draw deck after this play, so, knowing the game was won, I had no fear about playing this one out.

F: Squadron Leader Squawk + Launch Dazzling Flares (discarding Cheepchirrup and Launch Rockdrop for the caterpillar) (7f)

Dropping the bomb.

Flit 3, Pillar 0

With three cards remaining in-hand, Pillar discarded them all and conceded. "Another Pillar loss!"

I felt fully in control of this one from the beginning. I got a couple of choice cards (Tittertweet and Itching Bugs) early and Pillar gave me way too much leeway with them and never did seemed to do much more than tread water.

I'm hoping to do a bunch of play with Pillar over the next week or two, so hopefully I'll have a few "Pillar kicks ass!11!!11" sessions to post soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Pillar requires the most discipline to play correctly. You have to know when to retreat and how to get the most use out of your boosters. It seems to me from your report that your opponent wasn't very keen on using Pillar to begin with and didn't really understand the deck, although since I don't know the contents of your opponent's hand I can't really comment too much.

Good report! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's the feeling I got too. She's only played Pillar 2 or 3 times now, so it's perfectly understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't you have lost 2 dragons in the first battle, since she had over 6 cards in play, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed something. Forgot to put that I played Distract Holy Dragon in there before I retreated. Thanks for catching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. We've come to the conclusion the Pillar deck is the handicapping deck that should be given to the stronger player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls