Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into this game. There seems to be some variation in play, as you would expect from a traditional card game. I've created a poll just because I am curious what the most common way of playing is.

It was a tricky poll to write. I hope it is comprehensible and not flawed in some way I failed to see.

Here goes:

Poll: How do you play Le Truc?
1. The leader to the first trick of the hand (i.e. the non-dealer) may bet before leading his first card.

(By "bet," I mean propose a raise in the stakes.)
True -- he may bet before playing his first card.
False -- he may NOT bet before playing his first card (the first card of the first trick must be played before any betting can begin).
2. Assuming there have been no previous bets in the current hand so far, and assuming the first card to the first trick has been played already, WHEN may a player bet?
A player may only bet BEFORE he plays a card
A player may only bet BEFORE or AFTER he plays a card
A player may bet ANYTIME (apart from when a player is physically in the act of moving his arm to play a card)
Some other rule (none of the above)
3. True or False? "As I play the game, a player cannot bet twice in succession. Once he bets (and the opponent accepts) he cannot bet again until the opponent bets."
True -- a player cannot bet twice in succession.
False -- a player can bet twice in succession.
4. True or false? "Each player is allowed at most one bet per hand. Once you make a bet, you cannot bet again the rest of the hand."
True
False
5. A counter-bet = an acceptance by you of an opponent's bet + an immediate raise by you.

(Example: your opponent says "Raise to 2?" and you say something like "I accept and propose a raise to 4.")

As I play the game, counter-bets ARE allowed.
As I play the game, counter-bets are NOT allowed (because if it is your opponent's turn to bet, then it is NOT your turn to bet).
Some other rule.
6. What rule governs increases in bets? (Ignore for now the "My remainder?" bet, which seems to be allowed in all the rule sets I have seen.)
A play who bets can propose any increment of increase in stakes.
The first raise is from 1 to 2, and subsequent raises are in increments of 2. (Thus: 2, 4, etc.)
Raises must double the previous stakes. (Thus: 2, 4, 8.)
Something else.
7. Tricks in which the same rank of cards are played are tied tricks (also known as spoiled tricks).

How do you play hands in which all three tricks are tied/spoiled?
The hand is void. No points are scored.
The non-dealer wins the hand.
The dealer wins the hand.
Something else.
      13 answers
Poll created by cdunc123

Feedback welcome (especially if you chose the "Something else" option for any of the questions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting questions, hopefully there are enough responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great poll! I'd like to invite some discussion about this poll question:

Quote:
How do you play hands in which all three tricks are tied/spoiled?
a) The hand is void. No points are scored.
b) The non-dealer wins the hand.
c) The dealer wins the hand.
d) Something else.
Interestingly that most people so far play this as a void hand (which is my own preference too), or award the hand to the dealer.

The pagat.com page for Truc suggests that it should be awarded to the non-dealer: "If all three tricks are drawn, the non-dealing team wins the whole hand." David Parlett's Penguin Encyclopedia says the same, although I suspect both he and John McLeod are relying on a common source. Any thoughts about the rationale behind awarding such a hand to the non-dealer?

What rule does Sid Sackson give about this in the version he describes in "A Gamut of Games"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In relation to Poll question #7:
EndersGame wrote:
What rule does Sid Sackson give about this in the version he describes in "A Gamut of Games"?
I have since managed to find a copy of Sackson's book and can now answer my own question.

Sackson also opts for position (a), when he writes: "If all three tricks are spoiled ... the hand is void and the deal passes to the next dealer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nilson
msg tools
Another question: If one player wins the first two tricks (securing the points of the hand), is still the third and last one played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andyofsweden wrote:
Another question: If one player wins the first two tricks (securing the points of the hand), is still the third and last one played.
No it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls