New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a definite answer becuse I may have to update my rules summary/reference:

It was pointed out that my phrase

"You must evade or fight each monster there when leaving an area, ending movement in an area, or remaining in an area without moving"

is incorrect; that you only have to fight / evade a monster when you leave or end movement in an area. Not when remaining there.

Is that right? I haven't looked at AH for ages, and I'm surprised that at v7.1 of my summary no one picked picked up on that error before. I need an AH expert to confirm or deny this for me and save me the research!

In the FAQ it says:

Quote:
Q: When must an investigator evade or fight a monster?

A: Investigators must evade or fight monsters in only two cases:

1. During the Movement Phase, if an investigator ends his movement in an Arkham location or street area containing one or more monster tokens, or attempts to leave a location or street area containing one or more monster tokens, he must evade or combat those monsters (one at a time, in any order of his choosing). Investigators must do this during their Movement Phase even if they are delayed.

2. During the Arkham Encounters Phase and the Other Worlds Encounter Phase, when an encounter says “a monster appears,” he must evade or combat that monster. If an investigator is instructed by an encounter to move to a different location or street area during the Arkham Encounters Phase or the Other World Encounters Phase, he does not evade or combat monsters there.

When an investigator returns from an Other World to a location or street area that contains monsters, he is not required to evade or combat any of those monsters during that Movement Phase. However, he may choose to evade or combat any number of those monsters.

So I suppose this would mean that if you stay in the area you don't have to fight a monster there - for some reason ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that when you get to your turn in the movement phase, that counts as starting movement, and declaring that you're not going to move any more (or at all) counts as ending your movement, and then you must fight the things in your location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Universal Head,

Not to sound incredibly pedantic...but if you don't move, you've thus ended your Movement. In no case, other than returning to Arkham from an Other World, do you get a free pass on Monsters. So, I think that you'll find most players agree that an Investigator must Fight or Evade a Monster.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure how it could be that one stays in a location with a monster but does not also manage to end one's movement in a space with a monster. My understanding of "end one's movement" has never required any actual movement. I thought as long as one finds oneself in the same location as a monster in the movement phase, one must fight or evade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with the others here. If you don't move, you still have a movement phase (in which you don't move). Then your movement phase ends and voila! You are in a space with a monster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with the others - if you don't move you still encounter monsters in your space. This is supported by part of that FAQ entry:

Quote:
1. During the Movement Phase, if an investigator ends his movement in an Arkham location or street area containing one or more monster tokens, [...] he must evade or combat those monsters (one at a time, in any order of his choosing). Investigators must do this during their Movement Phase even if they are delayed.

If you are delayed, you don't move, you just stand the Investigator up in the Movement Phase, and the bolded part makes it clear that you still have to follow the rest of the paragraph, which then implies that it also applies if you voluntarily choose not to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Peter, your summary is correct as is. If not, we would have pointed it out years ago. Whoever said you had it wrong is in fact wrong themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was me who got the facts wrong In other words I misread the FAQ which was a bit unclear (at least to me) in that particular answer which was supposed to make things clearer.

I guess the reference sheet really has more thought into it than I originally thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOO-HOO! Good to hear. v7.1 reigns supreme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glyphs wrote:
It was me who got the facts wrong In other words I misread the FAQ which was a bit unclear (at least to me) in that particular answer which was supposed to make things clearer.

No worries mate, good to have these things clarified!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing for years, and I think I already know the answer to this, but it came up last night and I wasn't entirely sure...

If you exit a gate with a monster on it, you're allowed a free pass on combat that turn. But what if you fail to close the gate and you want to wait until the next turn - Are you given a pass on the combat on subsequent turns as long as you sit still?

I ruled no - only get a free pass on the first turn you exit.

Judges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
You played correctly; you only have immunity from monster combat on the turn you emerge from the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quik_Fix wrote:
I've been playing for years, and I think I already know the answer to this, but it came up last night and I wasn't entirely sure...

If you exit a gate with a monster on it, you're allowed a free pass on combat that turn. But what if you fail to close the gate and you want to wait until the next turn - Are you given a pass on the combat on subsequent turns as long as you sit still?

I ruled no - only get a free pass on the first turn you exit.

Judges?

You ruled correct. Just note that a turn is the current Phase 1 through Phase 5. Since combat occurs in Turn 2, the free pass only happens if you return during Phase 2. Since Phase 4 (and possibly other phases depending on specific situations) can also send you back, there is no exemption on the next Phase 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.