Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Rahdo Runs Through» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard

I'm a huge fan - I really do you think you are one of the best video reviewers out there. I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that you are doing so many kickstarter games at the moment.

I'm probably in a minority but I would be much happier if you focused on games that are in print and available to buy.

Hope you don't mind me posting this. If it was any other reviewer I wouldn't care.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, Richard tends to do runthroughs for games he likes so when he does a runthrough for a game on Kickstarter, I imagine he is doing it because he like the game and wants to see it succeed. If I was Richard and had his sway with people I would definitely use my voice to help a game I was interested in get funded.

Runthroughs for Kickstarter games are inherently time-sensitive. AND while there may be a bunch right now that just means there are some really good projects up right now. In all likelihood there won't always be bunches of worthy Kickstarter candidates out there so it should self-regulate over time.

Last year I might have felt more like you, but I have become less nervous about KS games and have be backing about an average of one per month so far this year. Usually because of Richard.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i was kinda thinking the same thing actually, it's great for you that desingers are recognising that alot of ppl look at your runtroughs.
But i have to agree with the op, i also prefere games that are available to buy. It does seem that the KS games you do a runtrough for doesn't really match your gaming style.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with both immediately available and kickstarter games, so long as Richard sticks to only running through games he likes.

As far as I'm concerned, if the video goes up while the project is live, it's just as available as something you can buy in a shop.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I've got bored of Kickstarter - too many games that I've received that aren't worth it.

Having said that I'm happy for Richard to keep doing the videos - it saves me money as I can instantly discount the games :-)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pretty much given up on Kickstarter over the past year. Too many disappointments and let downs. The Fleet: Arctic Bounty fiasco pretty much ended it for me when they released it to corporate backers before any individuals. Even my local Board Game Cafe had multiple copies a month before I received mine. I don't mind watching the Kickstarter runthroughs, some are quite interesting, but if they disappeared I would be happy enough with more Runthroughs for his own Kickstarter backers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents ... Richard, don't change a thing
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have to admit that when I see a new run through has been uploaded and it's a KS, there's a slight sense of disappointment because 1) I know it will be quite some time before the game is available and 2) the components will be prototype quality and often not that appealing. But that feeling dissipates soon after in many cases because the game just looks so damn good.

There are quite a few games I may have missed out on - granted, they'd be available in retail sometime later, but some games I just wouldn't have known about.

The reality is that KS is here to stay for quite a while and, like it or not, many publishers are using KS to launch, to re-print, or as pre-order - and it's good to keep up with this trend.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I back games once in a while in Kickstarter, I agree Richard is doing many Kickstarter games. However Richard has increased the number of run throughs he does tremendously compared to last year. Even if we ignore the KS run throughs we still have a lot of other run throughs to watch. I definitely think these run throughs help people decide whether they should back a game or not and I personally hope he continues doing them to help the community.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I do worry that Richard might have been "incentivised" to do videos on KS games. Anything that might cause him to give a biased viewpoint is a little bit troublesome to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
I have to say that I do worry that Richard might have been "incentivised" to do videos on KS games. Anything that might cause him to give a biased viewpoint is a little bit troublesome to me.


I don't have this worry. If he was going to be incentivised, it wouldn't be from small unknown publishers - it would be the Rodney Smith path.

I think Richard genuinely likes the games he covers
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
I have to say that I do worry that Richard might have been "incentivised" to do videos on KS games. Anything that might cause him to give a biased viewpoint is a little bit troublesome to me.


That sir is not even a consideration. I do not nor will I ever believe that Richard would skew his opinions about a game by being "incentivised" as you say. Richard has way more integrity than that.

If a game is something that he feels negative about he will give the publisher the option of quashing the video, but he will not give a glowing report if it is not warranted.

Besides, Richard's opinion is secondary to what is the meat of his work which is showing how the game is played. He is amazingly objective in showing how a game plays and the kind of decision-making that is involved AND I always make my decisions about a game based on the run through and not his final thoughts. Sometimes I don't even bother watching his final thoughts if I am pressed for time because I have all the information I need from the run through.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
That sir is not even a consideration. I do not nor will I ever believe that Richard would skew his opinions about a game by being "incentivised" as you say. Richard has way more integrity than that.

There are reviewers (or playthroughers or whatever) who I might wonder about secret incentivizations. Not Richard.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lawrence
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
I have to say that I do worry that Richard might have been "incentivised" to do videos on KS games. Anything that might cause him to give a biased viewpoint is a little bit troublesome to me.


Rhado has mentioned in one of his videos that is is not 'on the take'. If a creator sends Rhado a game and the Final Thoughts aren't positive, Rhado contacts the creator to discuss. If the creator isnt satisfied then the runthrough isn't uploaded.

Suggest you have a look at "No more Mister Nice Guy :-)", where Rhado discusses his procedures.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089840/no-more-mister-nice-...

For my money, I've used some playthoughs to back KS campaigns. If interested parties watched the playthough after the campaign, or if the campaign wasn't successful then perhaps the playthough would be less worthwhile.

Murr wrote:
Just my 2 cents ... Richard, don't change a thing


+1
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that you are doing so many kickstarter games at the moment.


I don't understand why. How come?

wolverine1977 wrote:
But i have to agree with the op, i also prefere games that are available to buy.

Every KS game I do a runthrough for is available to buy, via Kickstarter, and only for a very limited window of time, which is why I think its so important to run through them with expediency. Power Grid isn't going anywhere... I can always cover it later. But if Forge War doesn't get covered *now* then people who may have been interested will miss their window and potentially not be able to get the game at all (especially if the project fails and the game never gets made).

Quote:
It does seem that the KS games you do a runtrough for doesn't really match your gaming style.

For the most part, I always try to get games that I'm confident my wife and I will enjoy. This is equally true for KS games as it is for commercially released games

Smoothsmith wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, if the video goes up while the project is live, it's just as available as something you can buy in a shop.

'zactkly!

karthiksetty wrote:
I back games once in a while in Kickstarter, I agree Richard is doing many Kickstarter games.

I think that's in part because there's a lull of new commercial games coming out right now (as there is yearly) so people are wisely trying to squeeze a lot of KS games in now during this timeframe. IIRC this happened last year too

ReggieMcFly wrote:
I have to say that I do worry that Richard might have been "incentivised" to do videos on KS games. Anything that might cause him to give a biased viewpoint is a little bit troublesome to me.

I've got a whole thread devoted to this topic here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1023680/full-disclosure TL;DR? I *DON'T* accept payment for videos. Hell, for half of the KS runthroughs I've done, I don't even get a copy of the game itself. I'm literally doing it gratis.

TheRiddler1976 wrote:
I think Richard genuinely likes the games he covers

Yup, and if I don't, I say so (for instance: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089840/no-more-mister-n...)

niledesign wrote:
Besides, Richard's opinion is secondary to what is the meat of his work which is showing how the game is played. He is amazingly objective in showing how a game plays and the kind of decision-making that is involved AND I always make my decisions about a game based on the run through and not his final thoughts. Sometimes I don't even bother watching his final thoughts if I am pressed for time because I have all the information I need from the run through.

Double 'zactly!

DrClaw wrote:
Suggest you have a look at "No more Mister Nice Guy :-)", where Rhado discusses his procedures.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089840/no-more-mister-nice-...

Oops, you beat me to it!

Quote:
Murr wrote:
Just my 2 cents ... Richard, don't change a thing


+1


+2!
33 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and thanks to other posters for your thoughtful comments.

The reason I'm disappointed by all the KS games is that KS is not a preorder system (although most people seem to view it that way). It is simply a way to fund a project which the publisher retains control of - this means that the product could change (or not be produced at all) which makes it a very different proposition. I realise that if the project is not funded then you don't get charged, but I believe there have been cases where backers have not got their money back.

I will acknowledge that I may be showing my ignorance here because I haven't backed anything on KS (and don't intend to) so I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong. But that, in essence, is why I'm disappointed that there are so many KS videos.

I remain a huge fan and, as I said in my OP, I wouldn't care if it was any other reviewer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

You are mostly right in your assumptions about KS.

But it's even more important for someone like Richard to cover them - at last you can now see HOW the game plays, by a neutral person.

As someone who has backed some projects I now regret, I wish Richard had covered some of them :-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Lutz Ramos
Brazil
Canoas
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, about this "Kickstarter thing":

I'm also not a big fan. Nothing against the product or the company who run it, It's just because I live in Brazil so the shipping here it's a big problem. I usually buy games when I travel, so I prefer videos with games that can be brought in stores.
Also, the prototype never looks as good as the final product, and I think that’s hurt the feel of the game.
However, I want to make clear that this is the way "I prefer", not the way it should be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the kickstarter videos. I rarely order them however (only game I backed was Yardmaster because it was cheap). I'd still rather see 10 videos of interesting games from kickstarter than runthroughs of some of the games that get voted but are not typical RRT games (Myth).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer more non-Kickstarter games but still enjoy watching the ones that are from said crowd funding site.

I much prefer buying games at my FLGS...but at least if Richard does one whilst the project is live and I like it then I can back it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP and many of the posts here, I would prefer to see fewer reviews of Kickstarter games. Whenever I see an online reviewer doing a Kickstarter prototype, I can't help but feel like it's a sales pitch. I know to a degree all reviews can feel that way, but I think it's that "expediency" that you refer to Richard, this urgency that the game must be bought now or it will never exist.

Once in a while is fine, especially if a game comes along that you and Jen really enjoy, then I'd say carry that torch for the campaign. But I hope that doesn't become the norm. We have lots of video reviewers who are filling that niche, which is one of the reasons I come to you.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
I agree with OP and many of the posts here, I would prefer to see fewer reviews of Kickstarter games. Whenever I see an online reviewer doing a Kickstarter prototype, I can't help but feel like it's a sales pitch. I know to a degree all reviews can feel that way, but I think it's that "expediency" that you refer to Richard, this urgency that the game must be bought now or it will never exist.

Once in a while is fine, especially if a game comes along that you and Jen really enjoy, then I'd say carry that torch for the campaign. But I hope that doesn't become the norm. We have lots of video reviewers who are filling that niche, which is one of the reasons I come to you.



This is an interesting point.
As someone who has produced a few videos on upcoming Kickstarters, the expediency is often true.

If a project is not funded, then it very much becomes a case of now or never.

I think Richard is well placed to SHOW us how the game works - unlike Tom Vasel (who does paid Kickstarter previews), Richard shows us the game and lets us make our mind up over whether we want to see the game made.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, welcome KS and non-KS reviews alike coming from Richard. To the others complaining, I respectfully suggest to evaluate their position. How is it different than complaining to him for not focusing more on reviewing 3-4 player or solo games?

Richard has been really clear that he just posts videos of games that seem interesting for him and Jen, from a 2-player perspective. That's his main criteria for selecting games for review, not if the game is in KS or not.

He also states that he's not being paid to endorse KS campaigns, and I take his word for it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason why there are more KS videos is simply because there are many more KS games than there used to be. When I am deciding whether or not to pledge a KS game, a Rahdo runthrough is often the single most useful factor in helping me decide.

For those that are buying the games later in their FLGS or online, a successful KS campaign has often made the game that you are purchasing much better than it would otherwise have been. Yes, there are sometimes KS exclusive goals, but I see more and more stretch goals which involve the quality of the components: cards, bits, boards, dice, all better than they would have been.

In addition, Richard's feedback itself sometimes results in reconsiderations or improvements from the creator (see Tiny Epic Defenders).

So I like to support KS campaigns when I can, and within reason (I'm looking at you, Queen) and therefore don't mind if a greater volume of KS projects means a commensurate increase in Rahdo's KS videos.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
book_worm71 wrote:
One reason why there are more KS videos is simply because there are many more KS games than there used to be.


^This. Rahdo's output rate is incredibly high, and I doubt that there'll be that many games being published the traditional way that may be interesting enough to keep him putting out content at the current pace
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.