Subject: Riku Riekkinen wins 2014 Internet Twilight Struggle League rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Riku Riekkinen has done it again! Congratulations to Riku, the 2014 Internet Twilight Struggle League champion!

(webpage for the 2014 league: http://www.wargameroom.com/itsl14.htm)

63 players participated, 334 games were played, and when it boiled down to the championship series, it was Riku defeating Jedrzej Gasiorowski two games to one to win his second straight championship! Riku has also won back to back championships face to face at the WBCs and is the AREA ratings leader (I believe with the highest rating ever). By all measures, he's the best TS player there is.

Riku's continued success in large mainstream tournaments really does fly in the face of those who feel that TS is heavily luck-dependent. It's also worth mentioning that, for the second straight year, three of the four conference finalists were repeat semi-finalists from the year before! The same top players keep winning and winning, year in, year out.

This year, Riku (9-1 regular season) defeated Colin Welch (11-4-1) in the Gupta Conference finals to advance to the championship series. Meanwhile in the Matthews Conference, Charles Robinson (14-2) was playing Jedrzej Gasiorowski (12-4) for the right to meet Riku for the second straight year! Unlike last year, Jedrzej prevailed and swept Charles in two straight games.

In the finals, Jedrzej scored a Game 1 victory as the USSR with the Wargames card on Turn 9. VPs after the event were only at -2, so very close! After the defeat, Riku rallied and scored automatic victories with the USSR in Games 2 and 3, on Turns 6 and 4 respectively.

The USSR won all three championship matches, but using the league default of the Optional Cards and +2 influence to the USA, the USA actually enjoyed a slight advantage over the course of the season. In the regular season, the USA was 148-137-2. In the playoffs, things were even at 23-23-1. In total, 171-160-3, or a .516 W/L percentage for the USA. The league default rules produced the best balance we have ever had in the league before. We will probably use them again this coming season.

Congratulations again to Riku for yet another dominating performance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So we analyze the games and create a Riku-AI for the long awaited e-versions of the game . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the winner and everyone who competed

I am fairly new to the Twilight Struggle community. Recently I have been looking through the annotated games available at twilightstrategy.com and they have been really interesting and helpful. I was wondering if there are similar gameplay runthroughs/summaries for games from these tournaments. I would be fantastic to read runthroughs for games with players of such a high level like Riku. If anyone knows where I can stumble across something like this please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Congratulations to Riku, but I would also like to thank Bruce Wigdor for all his time he spends on programming games and organizing all these leagues for us. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So using the +2 influence to USA seems to improve game balance... Good to know.

Congrats to Riku!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance the final games are available for download and study?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Riku.

And I heartily agree with Daniel that Bruce deserves more than three cheers for all his hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Very big thanks to Bruce for programs & tourneys!

brucewig wrote:
is the AREA ratings leader (I believe with the highest rating ever).

The rating was higher a couple of tourneys ago. The lastest 2 tourneys have been wins, but not apparently not winning overwhelmingly is not good enough anymore.

positivelyrob wrote:
Any chance the final games are available for download and study?

Yes, I have the saves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Riku!

If you're emailing/posting the saves I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the logs. I'd love even more to have them annotated by a strong player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK sent the save to the files section & to one guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So we analyze the games and create a Riku-AI for the long awaited e-versions of the game . . .

Seriously, could this happen? If logs exist a protocol could be set and then farmed out - - anyone who wants could fill in the blanks for any game or games as are made available?

Would it be useful is the first question, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here are the saves:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dcfda60/15192
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:

Thanks so much for posting the saves As mentioned above, I would also love to see an annotated version by an advanced player of the game at some point. However, I know it takes a lot of effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls