Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
175 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » GeekBay

Subject: Yet Another Geek Auction Finder Tool (appended to side of the OLWLG) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geek-auction-aggregator [+] [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Features
* Subscribe for once a week, once a day, or immediate geekmails when new geeklist auction items match your BGG collection lists (wishlist, want in trade, want to buy, etc, you choose, can even set min. wishlist priority to match)

* Web page table view of all the auctions matching your BGG collection lists... table is sort-able on game name, auctioneer, country/state, or the date they were posted on BGG.

* Web page table view of *all* active auctions with same sorting options.

* The table view displays the item's image, auctioneer's BGG avatar image, image of flag for their BGG registered country, the item's description, the comment count, and the last comment posted for that item.

* If you are already an OLWLG (On-Line Want List Generator for Math Trades) then the auction finding tool already knows who you are (if you've logged in to the OLWLG) and may have your collection data already. It uses the same user "profile" options page as the OLWLG.

Other Notes
* To get started visit... http://bgg.activityclub.org/

* More information on bidding, etc on auction items can be found at the wikipage GeekList auction.

Notes for Auctioneers
* This tool simply uses the "MetaList for GeekList AUCTIONS" to find all active auction geeklists and then reads the items from each of those auction geek lists... so use that list/rules for having this tool be able to see your auction list.

* As Soon As Possible (ASAP) after your auction is "closed" please edit your geeklist header to change the title to include the word "CLOSED" (upper or lower or mixed case) somewhere in the title. Users of trade finders don't like to see items they can no longer bid on.

* More information on setting up and running an auction can be found at the wikipage GeekList auction.

Original Announcement Post
Since James Ludlow's wonderful auction aggregator tool has been down for a while due to I believe issues with the cloud server used and not being able to access the bgg xml api I thought I'd hack (and I mean hack) up at least a temporary alternative onto the side of the OLWLG since the OLWLG already caches it's users BGG collection data...

http://bgg.activityclub.org/

This tool simply uses the MetaList for GeekList AUCTIONS to find all active auction geeklists and then reads the items from each of those auction geek lists... and then matches it against your BGG collection data.

I have a cron job setup to find the auctions every 15 minutes... and the fresh data fetched replaces what it previously had.

Note that right now there are also issues on my providers server as well causing intermittent "500 Internal Server Error"'s... just reload if you do but I hope they stop all together soon
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, thanks so much!

By any chance, is there a way to set up an RSS subscription to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I thought I'd hack (and I mean hack) up at least a temporary alternative onto the side of the OLWLG since the OLWLG already caches it's users BGG collection data...
Awesome!

AndySzy wrote:
By any chance, is there a way to set up an RSS subscription to this?
Yeah, I hate to thank you by asking for more, but I'd love an RSS feed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Very nice... like the embed pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about rss feed, am worried about load... out of curiosity how often does your readers poll the feed?

What I was thinking though, if James tool is down long enough, to offer an option to "subscribe" to receive a geek mail any time any new auctions matching your want/wantobuy/wishlist list(s) show up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Nice tool. Any chance of having a link back to the list itself instead of the item in isolation? I couldn't find an easy way to do it, and it's obviously very important (dates, policies, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
Nice tool. Any chance of having a link back to the list itself instead of the item in isolation? I couldn't find an easy way to do it, and it's obviously very important (dates, policies, etc)

It's not obvious but if you click on the "Posted ...." link (above the subscribe, etc buttons) it will take you there

But yea, I'll probably add a 2nd link to go direct to the item on the whole geeklist page view... am hoping to find a nice spot to provide users with a way to see the item's owning geeklist description within the tool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
How about that! I didn't know that. Thanks.

Any reason you don't link directly to the item in that format (within the context of the list itself)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note regarding the geeklist item images... BGG only gives me an image-id... I had assumed all images are jpg... but came across one that was png... instead of the tool try to determine the proper file/url extension, since 99% appear to be jpg, I just added javascript executed by your browser to try .png if the .jpg fails... if no .png then it tries .gif... if not that then no image

llopis wrote:
Any reason you don't link directly to the item in that format (within the context of the list itself)?

load time and bandwidth usage (for mobile users)... a geeklist page of 25 items with all their images, content, and comments is slow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, thank you.

I was wondering if you can make it so we can choose from want in trade, wishlist, or want to buy BGG lists.

I know this sounds odd, but I use want to buy for a different cause so for me I would checkmark want in trade and wishlist as the ones I'd want it to search for.

Another suggestion - as I'm sure you know, many folks have 'outside the scope' for putting trades thru the trade manager but I'd like the option (or default) to not have this search for items in the metalist which uses Outside the Scope as its entry

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Hope this is the right forum to post this...

If it's not, JeffyJeff will usually be along to inform you... oh, wait.

Thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I know this sounds odd, but I use want to buy for a different cause so for me I would checkmark want in trade and wishlist as the ones I'd want it to search for.

ok, I changed it to use the same code the OLWLG uses... so if you already have the step 3 OLWLG filter options set it's going to use those... if not, click on the "profile" icon link in the navbar (which should look familiar to OLWLG users)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you add a link in step 02 of OLWLG to get over to the Auction list? Or tell me if it is already there? For some reason I had to re-login and then from OLWLG I could not figure out how to get back to the auction tool.

Also, Is there a way for users to specify that if the listing has the word "Closed" in it to not display?

Very Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
Can you add a link in step 02 of OLWLG to get over to the Auction list? Or tell me if it is already there? For some reason I had to re-login and then from OLWLG I could not figure out how to get back to the auction tool.

I'm looking for an icon to use to add a link from the navbar... and probably one to go back the other way (from auctions to olwlg)

as for closed... is that standardized? ie. do all auctioneers know not to use that word in their item descriptions?

what I'd really like to do is to add an %options% block support like in the olwlg for listings... and auctioneers that want to use it can insert the start bids/reserve/reserve type, etc and in geeklist header the deadlines... one of those options in the item level would be to mark the item closed (don't need one for whole auction as the auction should be removed from the meta geeklist after it's over)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Marking an auction as closed is not standardized but many will put closed in the title (and sometimes in the header as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I do not know if "Closed" is semi-universal or not. I suspect that many auctioneers do not do a super job of indicating an official end state. But I also suspect that if the text of the description does indeed have the word "Closed" that it probably is actually done. Obviously, there would be the possibility of something not getting displayed that is actually open due to an errant use of "closed" as part of the actual description.
Perhaps, you could allow individual users to specify a list of words in their profile that they are ok causing an entry to not be displayed (kind of like allowing users to specify in their profile the categories (want, wish, etc.) for magifier in step three and to specify the colors that they want to use.

I do love the idea of an %Options% block but I suspect that it will be slooooooow to catch on. But once it does, it opens a whole world of cool functions that you could support as options.

Again, very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually now that I think about - most every auction will have the word 'close' or 'closes' in the header because each geeklist auction will have something along the lines of 'this action will close at such and such time'..

Also, some folks may put in the title 'my auction - closes day/date'

The only thing I can think of is to only look for the word 'closed' to avoid pulling still ongoing auctions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also forgot to say earlier... on the auction geeklists... I only look for objecttype=thing listings... ie. board games, expansions, etc... no RPG, Video, etc... at some point when I get there with the OLWLG as well (which doesn't pull collection data for anything but board games)

I also just switched the default sort to most recent post date timestamp first... and oh yea, you can resort the table by clicking on any of the column headers to sort on that (so username, gamename or post date)... click same header again to reverse sort on that same key

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
Is there a way for users to specify that if the listing has the word "Closed" in it to not display?

I did some research and it appears the rules for the metalist allow the auctioneer to keep their geeklist on the metalist for at least a couple days after it's ended... however some indeed to at least on their own geekilst update it to include "closed" somewhere in the title...

So I think it's safe to ignore all auctions whose geeklist title has "closed" in it... and it's done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
new feature... I now fetch/cache the user info from BGG for each active auction and display their avatar, country flag, county, and State

let me know if you see any with a missing country flag where a country name is displayed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can now subscribe for new auctions matching your data... Re: Yet Another Geek Auction Finder Tool (appended to side of the OLWLG)
Ok, this has now been implemented... to turn it on go to your OLWLG/Auction Gateway profile and check the box

JeffyJeff wrote:
What I was thinking though, if James tool is down long enough, to offer an option to "subscribe" to receive a geek mail any time any new auctions matching your want/wantobuy/wishlist list(s) show up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This may already be possible but perhaps I'm overlooking it...

but a way where we can have the geek finder not pull auctions where the auction is from outside the US?

Thanks again for your all your work on this & the OLWLG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:

but a way where we can have the geek finder not pull auctions where the auction is from outside the US?

The problem is MUCH worse for those of us OUTSIDE the US! Most auctions are in the US and don't ship worldwide (even if shipping costs were not anyway prohibitive except for small items).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Baygents
United States
Alamosa
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a daily digest instead of an email each update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rampantdragon wrote:
How about a daily digest instead of an email each update?

good idea... though I'd need a separate script that's run once daily, and of course a new profile option to choose this option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.