Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pokrzywa
United States
Circle Pines
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Fistful of Dinero for the first time at this year's Geekway to the West. I got a chance to play it with Aaron Belmer and several of our other St. Louis friends. I was pleasantly surprised by a few things with this game, so much so I wanted to know what I had to do to get a copy.

The good
The game is easy to learn, easy to play and it is a nice light filler. It has very nice components as the "pennies" are of high quality and the nice wood box adds to the feel of the game. The cards were nice quality and would hold up to a lot of "gripper and sweater" abuse.

This game is what Bang! could/should have been. There is player elimination, but that speeds the game towards the end. The card drafting mechanism allows you to at least see what might be coming at you and allows for more planning than just the randomness of a draw deck.

The bad
Some people didn't care for the "programming" aspect of the game. You place your card draft choices onto the tableau in an order of your choosing. You might want to change it later as better cards come up, but eventually you only get one swap. I thought this was an interesting way to incorporate choice and planning to a card game which is mostly random due to luck of the draw. Order matters heavily so I can see how this can make all the difference in the world. I think the complaints were from first time players as I found multiple plays of the game tends to work this into a non-issue.

The conclusion
I liked this game a lot. We laughed and had a good time with the characters and cards. I am normally not one for theme, but with this game it really adds to the enjoyment. I will add a disclaimer that I have a slight bias, as I am good friends with both the designer and the artist of this game. That being said I am also a harsh game critic and both of them know I hold nothing back. I wanted to Kickstart the game right there on the spot, but they told me I had to wait until July. Here it is and I am a backer anxiously awaiting more fun with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they sell a powder for those with grip and sweat issues. And I can vouch for the fact that Mike is a harsh critic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Mike P and Aaron B give their imprimatur, I'm going to at least try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.