Subject: Looking for game stores in Portland, OR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syd Andrews
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I saw there was a previous post on this from about 6 years ago, so I figured I'd re-up the question and check in.

I'll be in Portland (staying in Hillsboro) August 9th and 10th (Saturday and Sunday). I don't have a huge amount of time to spend goofing off, but I want to make a point to visit one or two local gaming stores in the area.

So, where are the hot spots to hit in the area these days?

Thanks!
-Syd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Syd-

If you are staying in Hillsboro, the closest store to you is Rainy Day Games, located next door in Aloha. Really a delight--clean, well-lit and well-stocked, and run by knowledgable gamers.

As a bonus, that Sunday should be a Meetup day, with open gaming starting about 1pm. Small but dedicated group there.

Just the other side of the Willamette river from downtown Portland is Guardian Games. Definitely worth a visit if you'd like to spend some time in a 10,000 square foot gaming wonderland. Big enough to accommodate a beer bar in the back gaming area. Surely a sign that you have left "normal" and landed squarely in Portlandia.

Enjoy your visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI the beer bar portion doesn't open till 5pm (I was disappointed by this when I visited).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
the portland guild page lists all the local stores and gaming events in the area
Portland, OR, USA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Beaverton is home to the Interactive Museum of Gaming and Puzzlery. They are open on Saturday and recommended donation is $5.00

www.imogap.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The largest gaming store in Oregon is Guardian Games.

http://www.ggportland.com/

It's massive with many, many tables for playing and a bar. It's pretty awesome, though, and very easy to get to by public transportation.

Also, every other Sunday (you may want to check this), they will give you a 20% discount if you sit and play a game. (You'll need it as they sell everything at MSRP, otherwise.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sesma
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian Games is good, but Rainy Day Games is GREAT! It has been a couple years since I have visited, but the guys at RDG are friendly, knowledgeable, love to talk games, and they have really fair prices. Plus, they have a used game section priced well. Last time there I picked up an OOP Doom for $25!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's also Ancient Wonders in Tualatin. Mainly focusing on CCGs, they do have a shelf or two of games and since they're not as popular, they still have some things you may not find anywhere. I was able to score a sweet copy of Atlantis Rising which has been OOP for a couple years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian Games and Off the Charts (a small, store run by two wonderful people in Gresham) are the only places I go. Guardian definitely wins the contest of having an immense stock, but for service and atmosphere, Off the Charts can't be beat. They are one of the only stores in town that doesn't cater to the CCG or miniatures crowd one bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Plumb
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree about Off the Charts. I visited a couple years back and they were amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syd Andrews
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your suggestions. My limited time in the area only allowed me to hit Rainy Day Games on Saturday. I was super impressed! I am envious as I don't have a game store of that caliber in my home town.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back up in Portland next summer to visit our friends and I'll try to check out some of the other game stores. We're hoping to have 3 or 4 full days in Portland instead of just the 2 nights and 1 day that we did.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls