David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Episode XXII of Guns, Dice, Butter; a series of conversations (four hours for The Fourth!) with members of the wargaming tribe.

O:05 Joe Balkoski: intro to gaming, SPI stories, Minuteman, War in the Ice, City Fight & Wacht Am Rhein, Operation Typhoon

0:33 Joe: Cover art to Patton’s Third Army, Redmon Simonsen, SPI Peak, Transition to Avalon Hill Classic, end day at SPI,

0:54 Joe: AH days, Victory Games, The Korean War

1:09 Joe: Great Campaigns of the American Civil War, Computer Gaming, post gaming, 29th Division, returning to the tribe

1:40 Nick Karp, Discussion of Desert Fox, games in the pipeline for Shenandoah Studio

2:00 Panel of Mark Herman, Enrico Viglino, Marty Sample: “Perspective” overview, the game the Bermuda Triangle (and a discussion about the ability to control weather in the true spirit of what Richard Berg calls “playing a game from the god perspective”), Sim City, Integrated Poly/Mil Leadership, WiF/DoD, Kevin Zucker’s Napoleonic series of games, Berg’s Carthage & Rise of Roman Republic, Karp’s Vietnam

2:20 Mark, Enrico, Marty: Enrico’s Scale & Scope rant, D&D, La Grand Guerre, Mark’s great story about John Glenn (yes, THAT John Glenn), Churchill’s bunker and mind, Unconditional Surrender, Supreme Commander, Days of Dis

2:42 Mark’s Churchill design goes to the Peloponnesian War, Lace Wars/Red Sash, games that give you orders: Musket & Pike, Hastings 1066, Men of Iron, Flowers or the Forest, playing Angicourt at SPI

3:03: Items that distract from “perspective”, tactical WWII games, disturbing swimsuit attire, Mark’s Rommel story (yes, THAT Rommel), Patton, reprint of Pacific War, new WBC location discussion

3:25 Salvatore Vasta: Discussion of his new design Unconditional Surrender

4:00 Guns, Dice, Butter wrap: gaming plate, shout outs

4:07 Remembering some of our dear gaming mates that have passed

4:13 Applenista

Guns, Dice, Butter is available on iTunes, Boardgame Geek, Consimworld and the GDB website: http://gunsdicebutter.libsyn.com/

Items mentioned on the podcast: La Grande Guerre session report:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16190004

Wargamers paying it forward:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174505

Lace Wars

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28559
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hladik
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion w/ Mr. Balkoski; really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clocherty
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good one Dave, keep up the great work. Love listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvelous episode. Enjoyed the Balkoski interview most. What he didn't talk about was his initial forays into computer game design, which were somewhat forgettable. He did a game for Interactive Magic via Stanley Associates called SEMPER FI in 1997-1998; I was briefly involved with that effort (and it's my quote on the box cover). It didn't stand a chance given the success of Atomic Games/CLOSE COMBAT series for MicroSoft. And--interestingly enough--Joe was on a budget for that particular computer game (or at least that's what he told me). Glad he was able to do a lot more come 1999.

Really enjoyed his contrasting descriptions of SPI and AH. And a lot of us still play his games, even to this day.

Just got DESERT FOX on my iPad and savored Nick Karp's discussions about it's commercial success and boosting the sales of both BATTLE OF THE BULGE and MOSCOW games for Shenandoah Studios.

Thanks too for covering some of the more arcane games, like LACE WARS (Red Sash Games).

Very rich feast--thanks so much for serving it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack dempsey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Herr Dokter,

Nice, putting out another episode for Independence Day! I have yet to listen, but will download today.

Are you heading to WBC this year? Maybe get to finally meet you.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly one of the best episodes across the board yet. Really enjoyed the. Opening interview and the round table. Always good to hear from Shenandoah studios but since they have been on before and I'm sure will be on again, the brevity didn't bother me. But I do hope you have Mr. Vasta back for some more talk about unconditional surrender and maybe some inside baseball talk about Krieg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I REALLY enjoyed that podcast. My wife says when she asks me what my favorite episode is I always say "the next". This time I said, "...well, maybe the one I just did."

Joe is a gem; he had a story to tell. Most segments I do need to be mixed a little to A LOT (meaning, I've got to cut out stuff, splice stuff, etc). Not Joe's segment. Piece of pie. Can of corn. Dunnigan was like that also. Herman is always like that - ask the right question, at the right time, get the hell out the way and just let him roll

Also, the quality of a segment is inversely related to how much you hear me on the segment. Didn't want to talk much on that one; too interested in listening to his story that was waiting to be told.

1,000 downloads first 3 days for the episode; highest pace ever for an episode. I plan, again, to take a break for awhile; work plate full
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't listened yet, but will in a couple days. I am surprised there was another episode so soon. (happy about it, but surprised!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating stuff on what it was like inside SPI from someone who stayed for a long time. Sounds like a great guy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.