Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!
This is the discussion thread for the July 2014 European Math Trade.

geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175730/july-2014-europ...

List closes: Wednesday, July 9, 2014, 20:00 GMT
Deadline for submitting want lists: Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 20:00 GMT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When our geeklist is up on the
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

try the automated way to transfer your items from previous trades into the current one:

After clicking on the icon, select a previous trade from the dropdown list and press submit. Then you can easily transfer the entries of your choice into the current trade by pressing the corresponding buttons. This will save you a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you don't have to wait for it to be in the OLWLG to add items to the geeklist from your collection or any other MT - use this link:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/addmygames.cgi?listid=1757...

where listid=175730 is the id of the geeklist in question, it works for any MT geeklist if you add the right number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wanted:

Struggle of Empires
Age of Industry Expansion #1: Japan and Minnesota
Age of Industry Expansion: Belgium & USSR
Age of Industry Expansion: Great Lakes & South Africa
Egizia (English only)
SNCF: Germany Expansion
SNCF: Iberia Expansion
SNCF: The Netherlands
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne
Yedo with Yedo: Sakoku

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Giordano
Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted ...

Taluva
Wiz-War: Malefic Curses
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Conflict
Impulse
TC Tennis

... thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick info for participants from Germany: DHL raised the shipping costs (for the 2nd time this year) and I updated the EU shipping wiki accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I keep forgetting that link. It's a bit out-of-date now for the UK - what's the best way to have it updated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Thanks! I keep forgetting that link. It's a bit out-of-date now for the UK - what's the best way to have it updated?

It's a wiki page, everyone can edit and update it. There probably is no best way (except that having someone else do it is less work than doing it yourself ;)).
I try to keep the German section up to date, mainly because I like to use it myself to quickly check shipping costs. In the history log you can see who edited the page in case you'd like to coordinate with someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
It's a wiki page, everyone can edit and update it.
Oh, right. Crikey. Well, I'll see if I can update it without completely trashing it tomorrow!

Edit: I added the new Royal Mail rates (just plus £0.20/250kg from March 2014) but I didn't dare fiddle with the out-of-date table, although as it's so out-of-date maybe it shouldn't actually be there any more. It's been far too long since I did any HTML in Notepad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General question: How does paying for additional shipping costs usually work? If paypal is used, who pays the fees? Are there any general rules or do I have to negotiate it individually (only after the results are confirmed of course, not for every item in advance.)
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guilty of not making it clear in my listings and I need to go back and do so have corrected them now*: I would expect the receiver (payer) to pay the fees. I (think I) know that's a problem in Germany because you don't have a 'fee free' option like we do in the UK.

Of course, bank transfers are no good to us in the UK because we are not in the €-zone. I assume - but I could be wrong - that bank transfers in the €-zone are free; they are in the UK, although they are not (yet) used so much, probably because it's easier to use paypal.

My logic in expecting the receiver to pay the fees is based on the fact that I have 'credited' to the European shipment a bit more (say 30% more) than similar UK shipping would cost me, and the difference is exactly 'at cost'.

Now, that's really far from ideal and in a better world the EU would work for its citizens so we all had reasonable shipping costs across Europe! Ideally I would love to say "free shipping" to Europe for everything I list, but it could be a total disaster! I do say 'free shipping' for anything that weighs under 500g packed (£5.15/€6.40), but I couldn't afford to have a very successful trade on the bigger items!

*Dimitris does tell us to be clear about these things in the header, but I forgot!

I will say more generally as far as paypal fees are concerned I always pay them if I'm paying an individual for shipping (where I can see there's no 'mark-up' being charged) or for my money offers in Maths Trades. I think this should really be a 'general assumption' (if not a rule) in MTs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted:

Star Realms
Bruges (Dutch or English version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for copies of:

Trajan
Zombicide
Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Stuff.
Alien Frontiers
Lords Of Waterdeep
Navegador

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also looking for

Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion
Suburbia: Essen SPIEL Expansion English please!
Suburbia: Hala Stulecia Where are all the Polish traders?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask for your help on some Paypal questions?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16240243#16240243

Thanks.

----------------------------------------

Looking for 18xx games, such as 1830: Railways & Robber Barons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Reminder: you have until tonight (10 hrs from the time of this post) to add games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is shaping up to be a very interesting trade .... I'm just waiting for one Greek Gamer to add "Struggle of Empires" ... I hope he's not on holiday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base the Bass wrote:
Hi all. Reminder: you have until tonight (10 hrs from the time of this post) to add games.

Thanks for that! I would have missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on phase 2, you may declare your wantlists.

do not forget to submit, you will receive a confirmation geekmail if you have completed the process succesfully.

also, please use the methods depicted below to doublecheck that you are extremely happy with your wantlists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at a lot of the listings (and comments thereto) that say e.g. "I will pay first N of shipping".

I wonder if we should in future encourage (if not require) people who are not offering 'free shipping' for an item at least to:

a) declare the packed weight of the item, and
b) provide a link to a website where interested parties can find (an estimate of) the shipping cost;
or
c) quote the additional shipping costs in €/£ or other currency.

Of course c) is only sensibly possible if there is a single standard charge for all (or at least most of) Europe for that item from that country, but that is sometimes just not possible: for instance for shipments over 2kg from the UK it can be different for almost every country (if you want the cheapest rates)! In those circumstances a) + b) is really the minimum we should expect.

This way we can take (a lot of) the guess-work out of estimating shipping charges which will make it much easier for people to 'want' items, and therefore increase the number of trades to our joint benefits.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
I wonder if we should in future encourage (if not require) people who are not offering 'free shipping' for an item at least to:

a) declare the packed weight of the item, and
b) provide a link to a website where interested parties can find (an estimate of) the shipping cost;
or
c) quote the additional shipping costs in €/£ or other currency.

In general, I'm all for that. Each item should either list shipping costs or provide a way to figure them out.

Personally, I don't really need it since I mostly ignore items where I would have to pay anything on top for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am with you. Actually it doesn´t mean so much extra effort: If at least one person is interested in your game you will most likely have to work it out anyway, so why not do it in advance?

Also offering free shipping would eliminate the question "How to pay for shipping (e.g. paypal fees, etc.)" I would be glad to get rid of that stuff.

The only minor problem I could imagine is something like more text, longer item description,...

Are there any (long term) statistics on the home countries of the participants?

For this MT it should be limited to the European Union, Switzerland and Norway. I have no idea how postage from elsewhere works, but quoting the cost for an EU parcel will do a pretty good job, I think.

(At least that´s how I tend to progress, were there any users from outside Europe* taking part?)

*btw: How to define Europe?

Another personal addition: sometimes items are a bit upsetting: If I see a cool game, but I had to pay 15€ for shipping and trade let´s say a 20€ money item for it, I mean, then I can just buy that game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
The only minor problem I could imagine is something like more text, longer item description,...

BTW: did you know you can limit how much item text is shown in the OLWLG? (Step 3). In your OLWLG profile page (icon to the right of your name), 9th row: "Step 3 hide descriptions over this size... (system default is 2000 bytes)"

Quote:
Are there any (long term) statistics on the home countries of the participants?

Are the definitions of 'Europe' for postage very different in different countries? The Royal Mail has a wide definition of Europe, including Iceland, Greenland and Russia even East of the Urals! Page 10 here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here is another different view on how we should deal with shipping costs:

Siromist wrote:
Shipping: Free to all Europe countries except UK (first 10 Euro paid by the receiver)
Quote:
What do you exactly mean with that?
Siromist wrote:
I mean that if I'm about to ship to UK, the fisrt 10 euro will be paid by the receicer, if there are more shipping costs I pay them by myself
enoon wrote:
Perhaps it's just a lot more expensive to ship from Greece to the UK than any other country in Europe - including Ireland (traffic for which probably passes through the UK on its way). Odd, (very odd, as no other Greek Gamers seem to impose such a condition) but that's the only reason I can think for such a condition.
Siromist wrote:
Most of the european users that participate to this trade, have free shipping within Europe, only English people seem to impose strange/differnet conditions.

so the reason of this condition was inspired by you because you seem to have huge charges for Greece. So in this manner, I will have huge charges for UK. Simple.

Is this (imposing extra charges/surcharges/penalties for certain countries) the way to go? Popular? Reasonable?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.