JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
I think that you are better off with II. Some of the original scenarios are modified for balance, and you get all new scenarios with the All Green Alike game included. I'm a fan of the new look for the counters (but you can see pictures here and decide which you prefer) and you'll get the most recent charts and rules. My vote is for II, you get more game for your money. You should be able to resell the original for at least what you paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of being appropriate for solo play, the two are identical. SJW2 will use the modern GCACW standard rules right out of the box, instead of using the original rules plus the Skirmisher conversions. Perhaps most significantly, SJW2 is not just the original game. It is both the Second Bull Run campaign (the original SJW) and the First Bull Run campaign (All Green Alike) -- the latter is new to SJW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I bought the original Stonewall Jacksons Way along with the The Skirmisher Issue No. 1 (extra material for original game) both new in shrink wrap. I have not opened them yet. Should I have bought Stonewall Jacksons Way II instead? I have come to understand II is just the original game is that correct? Which plays solo better between the two? Thanks

Some older players like the old map art and counters better. I like the new ones and think they are more functional and aesthetically pleasing. I would rather own SJWII.

SJWII also comes with an additional module - for the 1861 First Bull Run campaign.

Still, the original is fine, and there's no harm in owning it. Consider picking up a second-hand copy of SJWII at some point down the road.

And enjoy the GCACW. One of my favorite game series of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Blofeld
United States
Ocean View
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. As my first foray into GCACW I bought a new copy of Battle Above the Clouds and a dirt cheap copy used AH of SJW last week. Comparing the components after a few scenarios of BAC (and discovering I loved the system) I immediately ordered a copy of SJWII which is on the way.

I had a brief moment of regret when I began playing the Avalon Hill version of SJW, even with those relatively primitive old AH counters the game is quite serviceable. Still, I have no long term regrets ordering SJWII. I want the 1862 scenarios, the better counters (The AH version I have has counters with those annoying 'side boobs'), and the new maps are an improvement (IMHO) on the true works of art that are the original maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
This new game has the benefit of twenty years of hard play behind it. I sold my original versions of the series and will now collect all the revised titles as they are released--no matter how long that takes. I'm hoping to see RTG(I wore out the original components from years of play) before I reach retirement agewhistle There's enough in this little box to keep me busy for a long time. I always come back to Great Campaigns--it's a wonderful immersion into the period and a beautiful work of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
I too hope to see RTG republished before I retire :) (in a few years). The redesign is complete as far as the design & playtest work goes. There is all sorts of pre-publication stuff to go though: like redo the maps, and of course eventually going on P500 and then getting printed. Probably the best way to speed up everything is strong demand for the games.

When the revised RTG does get published though, you will love it. Tons of new scenarios and all the old ones are revised and balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
ChrisWithers wrote:
I too hope to see RTG republished before I retire (in a few years). The redesign is complete as far as the design & playtest work goes. There is all sorts of pre-publication stuff to go though: like redo the maps, and of course eventually going on P500 and then getting printed. Probably the best way to speed up everything is strong demand for the games.

When the revised RTG does get published though, you will love it. Tons of new scenarios and all the old ones are revised and balanced.

You just made my day, Chris. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
Excellent. And note that the HCR redesign is in the last part of playtesting. And for Atlanta, the first campaign will get a partial playing at the upcoming WBC in a few weeks. Anyone at WBC, look for it there, probably in the GCACW tournament room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Atlanta near to being put on preorder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
Ed Beach is going to discuss with MMP what next (and when) to put on Pre-Order. Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't need the first Bull Run campaign and you're not running in circles of joy because they put plags on the counters - then what's new in the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls