Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
Announcing The BoardGameGeek Awards!

The BoardGameGeek Awards will be given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users.

The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

- Best Gamers' Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game (non-wargame)
- Best Light/Party Game
- Best Kids' Game

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient) or voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee. Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and will be banned from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. For the first year, any game from 2005 or 2006 is eligible for nomination. In subsequent years, the award will be for games new since the last awards. Don't worry - there will be enough overlap that no games will fall through the cracks between years. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 15 games in each of the 5 categories. The 15 games with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees - feel free to write-in a game by entering its number directly.

The nomination page is here: www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php?action=nominate

The final voting will resolved using the Ranked Pairs method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_pairs

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 15, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run for one month (8/31), and the final voting for one more month (9/30). The awards will be announced at BoardGameGeek.CON.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like, but please restrict your on-site discussions to the BoardGameGeek Awards folder.

Oh, and while I've designed a 100x100 button to advertise the awards, it has been suggested that maybe one of our users can do an even better job. There is a pile of geekgold in it for anyone who designs an award for the site that I like so much more than mine that I decide to use it.

Let the awards begin!

www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php

Update: Last minute addition - added the family games category.

Games originally published in other languages, but which were only widely available in english in 2005 or 2006 are perfectly eligible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos and congratulations on putting together this award. I've been a proponent of this for a long time. I can't wait to see how the community comes together for this. If you need any help along the way -- I'd love to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Looking forward to seeing which games make the cut!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupThis is a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Great idea, but how was the "list of games" determined on the nomination page?

Reason I ask. At the very top I see a few 18xx games (eg. 1829 Mainline, 1849, 18Scan), yet there are additional games also dated 2005/2006 - 18FL, 18GL, 18Mex, etc. Furthermore, 1849 has a date of 1998 on the Geek.

I know we can write in alternate games, but doesn't list bias towards a few games to the omission of others? And if the list is wrong (1849?), why use the list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

And a really neat interface.

I'm assuming that's a list of all games with 2005 or 2006 as a release date.

One question:

Do we have to "save" our nominations somehow, or is it automatic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Barylski
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game can currently be nominated for all five categories, which seems odd. There are some games that struggle to be categorized - like Twilight Struggle, is it wargame or not? Should it be possible to nominate a game in more than one category? This award is a fantastic idea, by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooooohoooooo!

thumbsup

And now the Questions!

I pay 20 GG. What happens next? Do I have to nominate straight away? Or can I look at the list; wait a couple of days and come back again to nominate?

I nominate 5 games. Can I come back later and add a 6th?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Great idea, but how was the "list of games" determined on the nomination page?

Reason I ask. At the very top I see a few 18xx games (eg. 1829 Mainline, 1849, 18Scan), yet there are additional games also dated 2005/2006 - 18FL, 18GL, 18Mex, etc. Furthermore, 1849 has a date of 1998 on the Geek.

I know we can write in alternate games, but doesn't list bias towards a few games to the omission of others? And if the list is wrong (1849?), why use the list?

I don't see 1849 on the list.

I used games with the published year of 2005-2006 and owned by at least 20 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! And nice choice of rating system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Woooooohoooooo!

thumbsup

And now the Questions!

I pay 20 GG. What happens next? Do I have to nominate straight away? Or can I look at the list; wait a couple of days and come back again to nominate?

I nominate 5 games. Can I come back later and add a 6th?

You can nominate and remove up until the deadline - then all nominees will be frozen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuey wrote:
satisfy everyone

Now, you know that will never happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
martybjsg wrote:
A game can currently be nominated for all five categories, which seems odd. There are some games that struggle to be categorized - like Twilight Struggle, is it wargame or not? Should it be possible to nominate a game in more than one category? This award is a fantastic idea, by the way!

I didn't add a lot of restrictions - the wisdom of crowds will prevail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
You can nominate and remove up until the deadline - then all nominees will be frozen.

Nice! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this will end with a bunch of people complaining that their choices didn't win. Seriously, it could happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome. this will be the award I predict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmb
JoeyHemlock wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this will end with a bunch of people complaining that their choices didn't win. Seriously, it could happen!

Without a doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often thought BGG should have awards of it's own. I look forward to seeing the results. Of course wait until Pimp The Backhanding wins best kids game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
JoeyHemlock wrote:

Without a doubt.

That's the whole point of handing out awards. Geeks need something to argue about vociferously.

Let the controversies and complaints begin!

This should be entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's about time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there it is: another excuse for me to buy more games... shake

What will happen after BGG.CON? Will these awards get promotion? Will publishers use it on their winning games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:
awesome. this will be the award I predict.

I doubt it. It's like the People's Choice Awards vs. The Academy Awards vs. an award determined by a panel of experts (say, top film critics). For MY money, I'll take the opinion of a sizeable (i.e. not just two or three guys picking) panel of experts over larger groups.

Still, though, I think it's a worthwhile exercise and should be an interesting award. I'm a little concerned for the same reasons I would be about the People's Choice or Academy awards: It's not likely that the voters have played all of the games, so the results might not be entirely, um, valid for lack of a better word. "No voting" will help, and I hope people don't rank games that they haven't played.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here. I'm genuinely excited for these awards! At the very very least, it'll be an interesting experience, and at best it'll be a voice for those interested in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
surprise WHOA!

The interface deserves !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.