Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a good game store in Northern NJ? The only two I know of up here are Gamer's Gambit (which is a nice place, but I don't really play magic or wargame and they seem to be focused on those) and Time Warp Comics (which has the worst staff in the universe). Anyone know of anywhere else I can try before I just throw my hands in the air and bus it into NYC?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't lived in NJ in 2 years. Has Time Warp gone south? I thought they were a great store when I used to shop there.

If you want to take a bit of a trip, go down to All Things Fun in West Berlin. Great selection and awesome folks working there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah unfortunately. Store wise it is still nice but staff wise it kind of sucks...people there are super clique-y. Yeah, I was thinking ATF also. I used to live near them and remember liking them a lot more. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go by Time Warp every week to pick up comics for my daughter and peruse the games. The store itself has improved lately — they've decluttered it some and reorganized. I've never had a problem with the staff, although I tend to be someone who doesn't want to be bothered while shopping, unless I have a question. But they've always been friendly when I have asked about something and nice to my two young kids.

The Game Room Store in Woodbridge Mall is also good, with a decent selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzzynyc wrote:
The Game Room Store in Woodbridge Mall is also good, with a decent selection.

I have to disagree with the "good" part of that statement. Things are pretty overpriced there, the stock is.....OK, and when they didn't have something in stock and I asked if they could get it in stock, I saw the guy look up the price on coolstuffinc and then tell me a price significantly marked up from there. Sorry if that's just too much of "how the sausage is made" for me, but when I see that they're literally purchasing games from the exact same place I can and normally do get games from, then marking them up from there for the service of....placing the order for me and making me drive to the mall to get it, but at that point, I'm out.

Also, only space to play games seems to be perpetual terrain set up for minis, and staff who does their best to ignore me when I've gone in.

Literally the only time I've been happy going there was when I needed some penny sleeves, and they had them, at the rate of $1 for 100. Otherwise, I've never walked out of there happy.

As for a FLGS in north jersey.....good luck. I moved to south jersey, and am asking the same question myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzzynyc wrote:
I go by Time Warp every week to pick up comics for my daughter and peruse the games. The store itself has improved lately — they've decluttered it some and reorganized. I've never had a problem with the staff, although I tend to be someone who doesn't want to be bothered while shopping, unless I have a question. But they've always been friendly when I have asked about something and nice to my two young kids.

That's fair. I usually have an issue where I go in to buy something and basically have to flag someone down from whatever inane crap they are doing in order for me to actually be able to exchange currency for product. It is annoying and as I also work in retail I know it is something I would never do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sybrwookie wrote:
As for a FLGS in north jersey.....good luck. I moved to south jersey, and am asking the same question myself.

As others have said All Things Fun in Berlin is pretty great. I like the staff there a lot and everyone is fairly welcoming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I was going to ask a similar question myself, before I saw this thread. I'll be visiting some friends and family in NJ shortly, and was thinking it might be nice to introduce them to their local game store.

I had no idea the field was so bleak!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ttallan wrote:
Wow. I was going to ask a similar question myself, before I saw this thread. I'll be visiting some friends and family in NJ shortly, and was thinking it might be nice to introduce them to their local game store.

I had no idea the field was so bleak!

Unfortunately yes. NJ is kind of a big state though, and south of my location is a bit better. If you are going to be NY though there are some wonderful little stores there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
When I still lived there, there was a place called Mighty Titans in Landing near Lake Hopatcong. Their selection was never very good, but it was at least a game store. They were out of business last time I was back.

I'm spoiled rotten in Ann Arbor. Six game stores within 45 minutes. 2 within 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
When I still lived there, there was a place called Mighty Titans in Landing near Lake Hopatcong. Their selection was never very good, but it was at least a game store. They were out of business last time I was back.

I'm spoiled rotten in Ann Arbor. Six game stores within 45 minutes. 2 within 10.

That's because Michigan is boardgame Mecca!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hines
United States
south hackensack
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure seems that way judging from any searches I do. Central US seems to have the market cornered on awesome tabletop stores.

JRietveld wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

I guess I'll have to get back to Michigan one of these days and check it out! But I'm in Toronto, so I've got pretty high expectations already.

...which is why I'm so shocked to learn that I can't find anything in the entire top half of the state! I grew up there so I'm doubly appalled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls