Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

We'll be down in the Mammoth/Owensboro region for some camping + exploration and I wasn't sure if there were any hobby or game shops in the area. Never know what one can find in different locales, so thought we might take a visit one day if we need a "low key" activity for a break. And, besides, buying new games to play is never bad, right :-).

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowling Green a little further southwest has Hobby Crossing, which is a really awesome store. It's split between r/c vehicles, traditional models, miniature games, comic books, CCG's, and board games. The board game selection isn't big and I haven't been there in a while, but they usually have some good stuff. Might be worth a trip if you go through Bowling Green. I think there might be another store or two there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Newport
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't know of anything in Owensboro, but I'll echo the Hobby Crossing in Bowling Green suggestion. They have a decent selection...all at full MSRP, but you might find a few gems. For example, I'm pretty sure they have a copy of Merchants and Marauders for retail, when it's selling for well above that on eBay thanks to being out of print/between print runs. The people that work there are really nice.

There's another dedicated store in town that's just called LGS; it's on the 31w bypass. It's basically just a MtG shop, but they do have a small board game selection. The only cool thing of note that I've seen in there recently is a copy of Core Worlds that's autographed by the game's designer.

Finally, there's a little record/comic store called The Great Escape that has a small selection of games. I haven't been in there recently, but I've bought Love Letter, Android: Netrunner, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game there. I don't think they get new stock in very often, so it's hard to say what they have on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Themackern wrote:
Yeah, I don't know of anything in Owensboro, but I'll echo the Hobby Crossing in Bowling Green suggestion. They have a decent selection...all at full MSRP, but you might find a few gems. For example, I'm pretty sure they have a copy of Merchants and Marauders for retail, when it's selling for well above that on eBay thanks to being out of print/between print runs. The people that work there are really nice.

There's another dedicated store in town that's just called LGS; it's on the 31w bypass. It's basically just a MtG shop, but they do have a small board game selection. The only cool thing of note that I've seen in there recently is a copy of Core Worlds that's autographed by the game's designer.

Finally, there's a little record/comic store called The Great Escape that has a small selection of games. I haven't been in there recently, but I've bought Love Letter, Android: Netrunner, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game there. I don't think they get new stock in very often, so it's hard to say what they have on hand.

Huh. That's interesting. Great Escape's flagship store in Nashville is within walking distance of my office so I'm in there at least once a week. But they don't sell (real/new) board games. Wish they would...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jondi Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually a game store IN Owensboro.

Big Bang Comics and Toys
4786 Frederica St, Owensboro, KY 42301
(270) 688-5800

Hope this helps.

There is one in Evansville, IN as well, which is about 45 minutes or maybe an hour from Owensboro.

Comic Quest
2260 E Morgan Ave, Evansville, IN 47711
(812) 474-1133

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Hopefully we'll have time between different activities to go to one of the stores...the one that has rc's sounds particularly interesting as my son (9) has always been into rc's and my daughter (6) is just starting to also enjoy them.

Now I just have to convince the wife :-).

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ekhardt
United States
Gamaliel
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerdgirl_Jondi wrote:
There is actually a game store IN Owensboro.

Big Bang Comics and Toys
4786 Frederica St, Owensboro, KY 42301
(270) 688-5800

Hope this helps.

There is one in Evansville, IN as well, which is about 45 minutes or maybe an hour from Owensboro.

Comic Quest
2260 E Morgan Ave, Evansville, IN 47711
(812) 474-1133

big bang is a great shop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Big Bang great for browsing, but there have been several times I've seen games for above MSRP, so they can be pricey. Good selection, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ekhardt
United States
Gamaliel
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been there once, I just remember their huge selection. It beats any of their Bowling Green Counterparts, Great Escape, Hobby Crossing, LCG, or Barnes and Noble. Cool Stuff inc. and Amazon.com have most consistently low prices, outside of BGG auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls