Subject: Unofficial Elevenses for One Rules FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an unofficial FAQ compiled from questions that arose while I saw learning and teaching the game. Even though some of these questions are covered in the rules, we found that they would still come up during gameplay when new players were still learning the game. All answers have been verified by the designer.

With the recent update to the version 1.1 cards and version 1.1 rules, some of the clarifications made may make some of these questions superfluous, but I've tried to re-word them so that they apply to both versions of the game. All of the questions and answers in this thread can be found in this PDF which is font-matched to the official rules, so it should fit in nicely next to the actual rulebook.

Please let me know if there are any questions that you feel should be added. Hopefully this helps some people learn how to play this fun little solitaire game!

--

What happens if I am unable to perform the action described during step 3A or 3B. For example, I use (9) Cakes, but the next face-up card available in the Pantry is already flipped face-down.
Do nothing. The card has no effect, you flip the card face-down, and then lose a minute for "using" the card.

When I score or use (3) Milk, but there are less than two face-up cards available in the Pantry, what happens?
If there is one face-up card available, you must flip that card. If there are no face-up cards available, do nothing.

Even though (4) Sugar and (5) Cups & Saucers have no actions that affect other cards, can I still "use" the cards (step 3B) to no effect in order to flip them face-down?
Yes. If you use 4 in this manner, then you lose two minutes for "using" the card. For 5, you lose a minute, per usual.

If (5) Cups & Saucers can never be discarded and can never be flipped face down by another card's action, is the game stuck when 5 is the first face-up card in the Pantry and I am unable to score it?
No. Even though 5 has no action, you can still "use" the card (step 3B) to no effect in order to flip it face-down, then lose a minute.

When I use (6) Fine China, do I shuffle discarded cards back into the Pantry?
No, you only shuffle cards in the Pantry. Afterward, return to step 1 in the game flowchart.

Can I use (7) Biscuits on itself to swap its position with another card?
No, 7 can only be used to swap the positions of two other face-up cards. If you use it and there is only one other face-up card, nothing happens, you flip 7 face-down, and then lose a minute,

If (8) Sandwiches is the first card in the Pantry and I use it, does it move itself to the end of the Pantry?
Yes, it moves itself to the end of the Pantry and remains face-up.

When I use (10) Servants, do I have to return a card to the Pantry from the discard pile? What if there are no discarded cards?
No, this is optional. If you choose not to return a card to the Pantry or are unable to do so because there are no discarded cards, then you flip 10 face-down and lose a minute.

When I score (10) Servants while (11) Elevenses is in the discard pile, do I still lose a minute? The rules for scoring (step 3A) state that I lose a minute, but the action for 10 states that I do not lose a minute.
Yes, you always lose just one minute when scoring 10, whether 11 is in the discard pile or not. The minute that is "saved" only applies when you use 10 as an action (step 3B), and does not apply when scoring.

Do I have to score a card from the discard pile when I use (11) Elevenses? What if the next number I could score is not in the discard pile?
No, this is optional. If you use 11 (step 3B) and choose not to or are unable to score a card, you flip 11 face-down, and then lose a minute.

What is the order of operations when I use (11) Elevenses to score a card from the discard pile?
Place the card you are going to score on top of the Tea Trolley, discard 11, perform the action on the card you want to score, then lose one minute (or two minutes, if you scored 4).

What happens when all of the cards in the Pantry are face-down? Am I stuck?
No, you get a free re-shuffle and re-deal. Go back to step 1 in the game flowchart and do not lose a minute.

Can I look through the cards in my discard pile?
Yes, you may look through your discards at any time. It is recommended that the cards in your discard pile stay face-up in their own area away from the Pantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Matute
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when all of the cards in the Pantry are face-down? Am I stuck?

No, you get a free re-shuffle and re-deal. Go back to step 1 in the game flowchart and do not lose a minute.

--

Ok, but, do I include discarted cards in this free re-shuffle or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
What happens in the event that you have three cards discarded, one of which is the next card to be scored, and you have the elevenses card in the front of your pantry? Can it be discarded since it says "Before discarding 11 you may Score a discarded card?" Since you aren't discarding the 11 yet, a space is being cleared for it, therefore you only have two discarded cards prior to the actual discard taking place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leron wrote:
What happens in the event that you have three cards discarded, one of which is the next card to be scored, and you have the elevenses card in the front of your pantry? Can it be discarded since it says "Before discarding 11 you may Score a discarded card?" Since you aren't discarding the 11 yet, a space is being cleared for it, therefore you only have two discarded cards prior to the actual discard taking place...

I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

Also, maybe it's self explanatory, but if you've got cards in the discard (and you cannot score them) can you skip to the next number when loading the tea trolly? For example, I've discarded (2)Tea, can I go ahead and score (3) Milk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amethyst246 wrote:
Also, maybe it's self explanatory, but if you've got cards in the discard (and you cannot score them) can you skip to the next number when loading the tea trolly? For example, I've discarded (2)Tea, can I go ahead and score (3) Milk?

AFAIK, you can't do that. You need to score all the cards in numerical order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing and all your questions!

amatde wrote:
Ok, but, do I include discarted cards in this free re-shuffle or not?
No they stay discarded.

leron wrote:
Correct. The wording is "before" so you are able to clear a space for 11 before discarding it.

mortenmdk wrote:
AFAIK, you can't do that. You need to score all the cards in numerical order.
Yes, correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you supposed to lose a minute after scoring the 11?

A strict interpretation of the rules would imply that you don't, but that also makes a score of exactly 11 points impossible.

I posted about this elsewhere but didn't receive a response as yet - see my post there for further details about the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls