Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this is going to be a little different from my usual reviews. This is a for a kickstarter ending Sept 1st 2014. This is not a paid review. I played on a print and play copy so the components were pretty much garbage. The short review is that I will be contributing to the kickstarter and I hope that it succeeds.

My first reaction to the game when reading the rules was a concern that it was too similar to Euphoria. Euphoria is another kickstarter with 7 resources, worker placement and bump concept. Since I'm a fan of Euphoria I thought I would try it out. The alien hunter theme was great for my family. For one thing my kids (7 and 9 years old) asked me to play after watching a walk through of the game.

Let's walk through the mechanics of the game.

Worker Placement: As I mentioned above, this is the primary mechanic of the game. It uses the same basic idea as Euphoria. You start with 1 worker and have the ability to purchase more. As you place them out you get them back in one of two ways. The first is you can spend a turn retrieving any or all of your workers. The second is if someone else goes to the same location you automatically get your worker back. Worker placement works great here and the bump concept is fun. As a strategy it doesn't work quite as well as in Euphoria because you don't have any reason to leave your workers out. Basically you place all of your guys until you pull all of them back. Overall I like the mechanic and am glad to see it in more games.

Resource Gathering: Very well done here. The ability to pay one resource to increase the quantity of another resource that you get works great. Requiring that you plan 2+ turns in advance to accomplish some goals.

Trobil Hunting: The random order that the trobils comes out makes for a high replay value in the game. Every trobil has different costs (in resources) and benefits (points and money). You can either gather the resources for one of the trobils already in play or save up for a larger more expensive trobil. The cost varies enough to make things very interesting. The boys were always excited for the nest trobil.

Cities (End Game). When trobils are defeated a city may come out instead of a new trobil. These cities also give an endgame bonus (for example you get 1 vp for every three credits you have at the end of the game). When there are three cities out the game ends (you have saved all of the cities after all).

Edit: previously I mentioned the game slowing down because of this. Apparently we played with the rules incorrectly. We should have had more trobils out to start. This would be great for the pace of the game. My biggest complaint about the game goes away. A game I already was highly recommending only gets better. Sorry for the confusion.

RiffRaff: Riffraff are cards that you can gather to get in game bonuses. Free Turn, Double Credit, Stealing Resources from others. All very in theme and all very fun. My 7 year old loved these cards.
I like that each location can have only one riffraff card on it.

Connections: This is my favorite part of the game because it allows you to specialize in different locations. Those of us who highly specialized did end up with extras at the end of the game but that may work out if the right cities come up.

Please join me in helping this kickstarter get off the ground. I would happily recommend the game to families who like worker placement. It's more interactive than some worker placements that have been accused of being group solitaire. With the theme of the game I would love to come up with some coop or partially coop rules.

I own euphoria and with any luck (and your help) I will own this also. I think Euphoria may be a little heavy for the kids (we haven't tried yet). This was just right for mine. I think most 9-10 year old kids should be able to play without issue. If your child is younger I think it depends on their gaming experience. Mine had fun gathering resources and trobils but was frustrated that he came in last place.

For my other reviews you can find them at the following geek lists.
Board games from a Dad's Perspective (Review List)

Edit:
Again Please join us all at
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205300753/asking-for-t...
to fund Asking for trobils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting your thoughts on the game! I'm working on putting the pnp together as well and am curious to see how it plays in our group in a couple of weeks (if I can convince people to give it a try anyway) ). Particularly appreciate your observation about the end of the game about issues with having just one trobil available...I'll have to consider house ruling that according to your suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, as Rahdo suggested in his Final Thoughts video, that the hidden cities make a bigger random impact for a two player game. With just 3 cards, it doesn't give you enough time to react. His idea was to make an option where you would know what those cities are at the beginning of the game for two players. We'll be putting that option in to the rulebook. Some people don't have a problem with it, but some do, so it's best to leave it up to their choice.

I HIGHLY recommend not doing that with more than 2 players though. It will break the game. All it takes is for one person to see that Crystals give points at the end and all they do is get crystals and connections that give crystals. All the resources will be gone, and worse, the entire theme of catching Trobils will be lost to them.

One note on the review, you said there were three Trobils cards showing, but three players. There are always as many players plus 1 Trobil cards. So with three players, you should have been playing with 4 Trobil cards.

I already said personally, but thanks again so much for your time and effort in putting it together and playing! We're so glad you enjoyed it! That's 5 out of 5 reviews we've had that were favorable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the end game correction. that would have helped. the extra trobil available the entire game would have fixed the speed issue.

Also we happened to have a city up in the first round and would have had 3 trobils up from the beginning as opposed to the two we had. I'll make an edit in my review. reflecting my mistake. However I still like the idea of not reducing the number of trobils until the end to keep things moving.

Awesome game. I look forward to hitting 40k so we can get proper ships. I asked the boys about the game this evening and the response from both was they would play again if we didn't have paper pieces. March can't come soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh, sounds like you had another issue. City cards can't show up in the first round if you set up correctly. The rules say, "Select random City Cards (number of players +1). Take Trobil Cards equal to the number of City Cards from the deck of 20. Shuffle these together, and place them at the bottom of the deck of Trobils." Setup step 4.

You won't have a City card show up until near the end. You may love the game more lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read well. Totally misunderstood that. I took out 4 trobils so we had 20 cards in total. I'll reread and adjust for next time. That would have kept more in play the whole game. Yes. A great game gets even better. Is it March yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
Is it March yet?

I hope not! I don't have the games yet. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is going to be bummed when she sees I backed another game. Thanks for straining my marriage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, she might like the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
I read well. Totally misunderstood that. I took out 4 trobils so we had 20 cards in total. I'll reread and adjust for next time. That would have kept more in play the whole game. Yes. A great game gets even better. Is it March yet?

Matthew,

I own a tutoring center. We can help you out with reading comprehension, if you'd like!

Great review. Thank you. And thank you for helping me get the PnP up and going. I did a soft run through yesterday, just to get the feel and flow of the game. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakengames wrote:
Well, she might like the game!

I have a lot of games where my wife looks at the theme and we have a conversation something along the lines of

Me: We are overlords attempting to control our people in a distopian society.

Her: Thanks, not interested.

Me: No really it's fun. It's not as dark as the theme implies. It's just a race game where you need to be semi cooperative at times.

Her: What else do we have?

This is such a fun theme it is easy to get just about anybody on board. Who doesn't want to exterminate invading aliens while being helped by crazy pirates and the like. It's a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Matthew,

I own a tutoring center. We can help you out with reading comprehension, if you'd like!

Great review. Thank you. And thank you for helping me get the PnP up and going. I did a soft run through yesterday, just to get the feel and flow of the game. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.[/q]

Lesson one. Read the words. Don't just watch a video of someone else playing and skim the rules for the parts he got wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.