198 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Ok, so here's my issue with the App being required. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: popcorn [+] [View All]
Tigger Nicholson
msg tools
As an ipad user, i've no problem with having apps that support games, or make them easier to play. As a fan of Xcom ,the idea of a board game is very exciting.

HOWEVER, the current blurb on XCom says the app is REQUIRED.

I buy games not to just play today, but tomorrow and beyond.

So.... In ten years time when technology moves on and the App/web page is no longer supported and/or FFG goes out of business and/or I move to a desert island ...does this mean the game will be unplayable ?

The current advertising suggests this will be the case.
If true, that turns the game from a "must buy" to a "wouldnt touch with a bargepole", at least for me,

This strikes me as a really bad idea. so...either the application isnt "required" ,just "enhancing" and some sort of non-tech solution will be available.... or the game will have a life span after which purchasers are screwed.

Obviously I'm hoping its the former, because otherwise, thats going to turn away more folks than the tech will attract. I'm all for using apps alongside games, but making them "required" is a whole can of worms.

Does anyone have more solid info?
(i would have liked to ask FFG themselves, but their forums seem to be down atm)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Vim userMicrobadge: Machine Learning & Pattern RecognitionMicrobadge: Data MinerMicrobadge: BayesianMicrobadge: Python programmer
If the app does become unavailable, if the game is still popular enough, it will only be a matter of time before an open source replacement is created and posted on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tigger Nicholson
msg tools
Still not a solution, I'm afraid... even an open source tech is tech.

Open source on what platform ? All of them ? Continupusly supported, even by the community ? Available offline? unlikely.

Also, not guaranteed (although I agree likely) .

Plus "if popular"... Ok, so likely to be popular, but what if its not ? Those who *do* buy it get screwed.

Etc.

The only solution I can see is there actually being pen-and-paper rules produced at some point, either by FFH (in which case the app is not REQUIRED) or by the fan base (in which case i still think FFG are shortchanging the gamers).

I'm usually a fab of FFG, but this strikes me as a big misstep...although let me emphasies thats If "REQUIRED" rather than just "REALLY COOL".
If pen-and-paper rules to simulate the app are available with the game, then I'd give it a thumbs up... But otherwise, you might as well stamp the game "unplayable after 2020"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Microbadge: GeekVideos creatorMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Glass fanMicrobadge: I like multiplayer solitaire!Microbadge: Care Bear Gamer
the app is a stand alone executable. software doesn't degrade over time. i still run programs that are over 20 years old, made for windows 3.1 on my laptop today (I can't convince me wife to give up cardfile.exe )

if you really love the game, and you're worried about it not working in 10 years, then make sure you don't get rid of the laptop or iphone or droid tablet or whatever that you can run the app on today, and you're fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Risk Legacy fanMicrobadge: Persona 4 fanMicrobadge: Watch it Played fan
Plus you could always create a variant with a non-app based AI. It will probably be dumber than the app AI though, so maybe get rid of the AI completely and play the game as a one versus all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. OObacke
msg tools
Let's join hands and just rabble rabble rabble at innovation, even before we know anything specific and if it is a great way to improve gaming:

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Allison
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan
I think you can make the argument for and against about the longevity of the app, whether in the future you'll have an Apple supported device or if the app itself may fade away. But here is my problem with this concept. Mind you this only applies if the app is 100% required to play the game. This being a FF game I will probably be paying (depending on on component content) $50-70 for X-Com but if it is "app required" then I am not getting the whole game in the box. Ok. The app may end up being free with the game purchase. But I am still not getting the whole game in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
Microbadge: Dice fanMicrobadge: Whisky drinkerMicrobadge: Monster Hunter fanMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Miami Dolphins fan
Tigger_mk4 wrote:

I buy games not to just play today, but tomorrow and beyond.
So have you also never purchased...
An audio cassette?
A VHS tape?
A DVD?
A computer game?
A Blu-Ray?
An e-book?

This game will come out and will REQUIRE an app, this much seems pretty clear, whining on the internet is not going to change that.

I'm also willing to bet that the game will be a commercial success, even if some refuse to buy it due to the required app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

London
msg tools
Microbadge: FC Schalke 04 fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones - Gearlocs Rock!Microbadge: Apple haterMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Runewars fan
I love Xcom on the PC.

I love the idea of a boardgame based on it. If an App is being required, I will definitely not buy it.

Make it either an app game or a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign fanMicrobadge: Wiz-War fan
alexst wrote:
I love Xcom on the PC.

I love the idea of a boardgame based on it. If an App is being required, I will definitely not buy it.

Make it either an app game or a boardgame.
Except that almost everyone these days seems to have a smart phone at the table when they are playing a boardgame (and this trend will continue). So it does make sense to try to combine the advantages of the digital (AI, hidden information, rules enforcement)with the advantages of the physical (social interactions, better "meat AI" in competitive games, display of shared information).

Also Eric Lang is not an idiot and the problems pointed out so far are obvious so they were thought about. I think we should hold most comments until Gen-Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Android fanMicrobadge: Myrmes fanMicrobadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: The Republic of Rome fan
You could always learn a programming language...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay
badge
Microbadge: Gambit fanMicrobadge: I play a Rogue!Microbadge: I Drink At Every InnMicrobadge: I play with green. Dark green!Microbadge: Boxer lover
I'm curious to see how this all plays out in the future.

With a company such as FFG, I wouldn't worry about the app becoming obsolete. If it's a requirement for the game, I'm sure there will be updates and maintenance done to the code to insure its availability. I realize that's assuming a lot, but I gotta think they had a plan in place to address this issue in order to release a boardgame with an app requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fan -Microbadge: M.U.L.E. fanMicrobadge: Kansas State UniversityMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!
As others have said, my purchase decision for the game will come down to the depth of the tactical side, where you send your (hopefully persistent and upgradeable) troops in to a crash site.

If it doesn't have that, or if it's just a "beat this card score to win" type of thing, I won't get the game. The app is far less a concern for me, since it's likely to be a graphical "here's when and where the UFOs arrive" device, possibly with a stopwatch, so there's not a lot of tech there to be outdated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: Look!
mroobacke wrote:
Let's join hands and just rabble rabble rabble at innovation, even before we know anything specific and if it is a great way to improve gaming:
Well, he has a right to his opinion about whether or not to buy as you do (in your other thread on this, too). It bears pointing out that you also are making assumptions about the game before we know anything specific by calling it "innovation" and a "great way to improve gaming." To be clear, it is a change. If we must call it innovation at this early point, then so was "New Coke."

That said, I am more in your camp at this point. I like the experimentation and have been looking forward to a game doing this and it matches the theme in this case. I do hope it works and my appreciation for some genius Eric Lang games instills confidence that it will. I have reasonable confidence that FF will continue to support it though them losing the license and being unable to reproduce dice for Doom gives me at least a little pause (as others have said, I bet someone would have something downloadable on the Internet in that case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mindclash Games fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fanMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: Splotter fan
Re: Ok, so here's my issue with the App being required
If I buy a game and it 'only' works for 1 years I would still think my $60 was well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 7 Wonders: Leaders fanMicrobadge: Mass Effect fan
Let's be honest here - this isn't going to be a small squad tactics game. FFG has at least 3 other properties that scratch that itch (Descent and Gears of War come to mind). This game focuses on the larger scale aspect of the license: global crisis management.

I'm seriously concerned people are simply writing this off because there is a component of its play that...

1) doesn't come in the box. Well, friends and beer don't come in the box either and I seem to do fine acquiring those. The requirements of the app are rather common these days (smartphone, tablet, or anything with a web browser). FFG isn't asking you to buy a whole new computer to run it (which some PC games these days are effectively doing). Resisting this by some "gameist" principle is silly.

2) Isn't completely transparent to the players. It's because they want a game that can play intelligently against human opponents, and that has algorithms/processes that, were they to be made physical activities that humans could carry out (like in Pandemic and most co-ops), would give away its secrets, and the players would effectively be precognitive. I'm guessing for a game of this complexity, simply "drawing a card off the top of the infection deck" is not comprehensive enough to be a formidable opponent. The description of the AI outright states that it picks 1 of 5 different strategies each time it plays. This is a straight up admission that there are people out there who will eventually figure out how the AI works, so it shakes things up by changing the algorithms every play. (Of course, this being BGG, there will inevitably be a forum thread dedicated to solving the game - I don't want to play with those people. What fun is a game you know the outcome of?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Space Theme fanMicrobadge: We are not alone!Microbadge: Dexterity Games fanMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Game Explainer
I will also not be buying this game if it requires an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Connolly
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Tottenham Hotspur FC fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
I will be buying it because it requires an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Rocket League fan
blackhawk77 wrote:
I will be buying it because it requires an app.
Me too. I'm all about the novelty.

Do the people that are complaining about this complain about Risk:Legacy being a single-campaign game? They're not totally similar but I can see longevity argument as the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bhz1 wrote:

1) doesn't come in the box. Well, friends and beer don't come in the box either and I seem to do fine acquiring those. The requirements of the app are rather common these days (smartphone, tablet, or anything with a web browser). FFG isn't asking you to buy a whole new computer to run it (which some PC games these days are effectively doing). Resisting this by some "gameist" principle is silly.
The whole thing with people mad that they can't play out of the box but I've encountered multiple games where everything didn't come out of the box (Quirkle had no pen or paper). To be honest it's easier to find a smartphone when I game than a pen and paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Are the cones a metaphor? Well, yes and no.Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Archipelago fan - pineappleMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Seeker
Tigger_mk4 wrote:
But otherwise, you might as well stamp the game "unplayable after 2020"
If you're playing this till 2020 then you more than got your moneys worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Space Alert: The New Frontier fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fan
Space alert (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert) needs cd player to play the CD track with scenario and I see no deal with it. Even better if we will be looking on some cool graphic app than mediaplayer plaing the tracks.

There are other things to worry about than needed app (which could come on flash disc in the game - we do not know that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
rahdo wrote:
the app is a stand alone executable. software doesn't degrade over time. i still run programs that are over 20 years old
I also run some programs that are over 20 years old. Some I can't.

Quote:
if you really love the game, and you're worried about it not working in 10 years, then make sure you don't get rid of the laptop or iphone or droid tablet or whatever that you can run the app on today, and you're fine...
Let me guess... you don't know a lot about the durability of hardware...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Vodnyk wrote:
Space alert (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert) needs cd player to play the CD track with scenario and I see no deal with it. Even better if we will be looking on some cool graphic app than mediaplayer plaing the tracks.
Apples and oranges. A soundtrack is a very different thing from a piece of software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"
Web version will likely be all js. Even if it's obfuscated, it won't be hard to reverse-engineer the logic and possibly implement new strategies. (X-COM The Board Game Long War Mod LOLOLOLOL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |