Subject: just bought the game: impressed so far rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
I took a chance and purchased this game despite some negative reviews. I am a huge Marvel fan and after some research, I decided to pull the trigger and I am happy I did. First and foremost, many people have complained about the rules; however, I did not find them too difficult. The rulebook could have been set up better but it is actually a good rule book just not from an organizational perspective.

The combat in the game is very unique and fun. The amount of villains is quite impressive along with the 20 pre-painted minis. I love the dice aspect as well. The planning phase deciding on what heroes to activate and where to place them is very strategic. Also, all players get to play a super-hero team AND a mastermind villain...very cool.

Needless to say, this game has been a pleasant surprise and I look forward to playing again using the different scenarios.

Lastly, using the Heroclix figures, this game is so easy to customize and create stats for even more Marvel characters.

Going to create a Thanos Mastermind next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, so much so that I picked up a second copy used so that I'd have a backup in case something happened to the first.

It's great that you can play it, write out what happened (with a bit of creativity), and make your own story. For example, part of one I was working on..

New York, the city where crime never sleeps..

Game Turn 1

Fantastic Four

Flipping through cartoon channels, Ben Grimm was enjoying his Sunday afternoon at the old Fantastic Four Headquarters. The rest of the group was moving into their new building across town, but Thing had insisted on some rest and recreation. Suddenly, his program was interrupted by a news brief about a skyscraper in Morningside Heights that was turning into this year's Towering Inferno.

With a groan, he headed out the door, past Sue Richards who was just coming back for a rest herself. She tried to tell him the move into their new digs was completed, but he just grunted something about missing his favorite show and walked out.

Arriving on the scene, it turned out to be mostly under control already by the very competent New York Fire Department. A few small fires were scattered here and there, but there was nothing a dump truck loaded with water couldn't put out.

No sooner was he done posing for pictures than an emergency call came from Fantastic Four HQ regarding an unidentified object smashing into the ground a district over. The Thing rushed to it, hoping it wasn't just another false alarm. He wasn't disappointed as he was nearly blindsided by a car hurtling by him. Looking in the direction of the tossed Toyota, he spied a huge man in armor who could be none other than the dreaded Juggernaut.

The two giants charged at each other, Thing's fist slammed into Juggernaut's face just as Jugs crashed into the rock man and slammed him to the ground.

Thing kicked at the behemoth but missed, only to receive a head butt in return.

Getting back to his feet, albeit a bit wobbly, The Thing leaped at Juggernaut, hoping to tackle him to the pavement, but his opponent merely met his charge and down went Ben again, only this time he wasn't getting back up. His head shook slowly as he asked a passerby "Was that the 'L Train'?"

Juggernaut, easily defeating the toughest of the Fantastic Four, jogged off looking for his next bit of fun.

The Avengers

The Avengers were recognized by the United Nations in a public ceremony, complete with the declaration of autonomy for the area of their new base. Notably absent was Steve Rogers, better known as Captain America, who had drawn the short straw and was investigating some recent attacks on sewer workers in Hell's Kitchen.

The concern was that subterranean mutants may be responsible for the attacks, but after spending the entire day underground, the worst Steve ran into was a sewer rat the size of a pit bull. He climbed his way back out and headed home for a shower, declining to show up for the after-ceremony party.

Marvel Knights

Peter Parker made his way to Midtown, camera in hand, ready to get some photos of famous astronaut John Jameson at a party in his honor. Something was bothering him about the event, though. Things had been too quiet lately. Trying to stay on the outskirts and get the best pictures, he felt reassured when he saw Matt Murdock, also known as Daredevil, mixing it up with society's elite.

All of that confidence faded away just as quickly when the front doors burst open and an enormous pile of sand poured in. Screams of panic filled the air as people ran for the nearest exits and the ugly mug of the Sandman took form. Murdock, however, stood his ground in front of John Jameson, cane in hand and a calm expression on his face.

As the half-man, half-sand form came towards Jameson, The Man Without Fear leapt into the air and swept his foot straight at his opponent's face. He connected and the Sandman lost form and fell back to the ground in a pile of sand. Daredevil thought he'd gotten the better of him until the sand shifted under his feet and moved past him. Before he could react, John Jameson was carried out an emergency exit in a tide of dirt.

Still in his guise as Peter Parker, Spider-Man snapped a last photo and headed out the door to follow Sandman. Matt Murdock paused a moment before leaving, catching a familiar smell in the air. Wilson Fisk was behind this, but why?

X-Men

When Captain America was unable to find anything substantial to the rumors of mutants in the sewers, New York's City Council called on the X-Corporation to do its own investigation. Cyclops was glad to check it out, as it left Wolverine to accompany Jean Grey and Storm on a marathon shopping trip. Even knee-deep in filth, Cyclops still felt he'd gotten the best end of that deal.

Not wanting to retrace the Captain's steps, Scott started his search in Greenpoint. Little did he know that something was indeed going on in the sewers. As he trudged through, Cyclops came around a corner into a bizarre scene; a freshly kidnapped John Jameson with his kidnapper the Sandman, and two mob thugs. The two flunkies grabbed Jameson and ran, while Sandman turned to face Cyclops with a glare.

Cyclops blasted up at the ceiling, hoping to collapse it and cut off the Sandman, but it fell too slowly while a fist to the jaw fell too quickly. Cyclops also fell, while the Sandman turned again to follow the thugs and his prize.

Game Turn 2

The Avengers

Having received word of a secret hi-tech weapons facility being run out of an abandoned warehouse in Midtown, Tony Stark swiftly went to investigate. The God of Thunder, Thor, came along to see if Iron Man could use some assistance. Upon arriving stealthily (by blowing a hole in the roof and dropping in), the two were met with the sight of a small time criminal, Shocker, and the Red Skull himself. The Red Skull simply smiled and walked into another room, leaving Shocker to deal with the two heroes on his own.

Iron Man wasted no time in firing off a beam of energy, while Shocker leapt behind a pallet of unknown contents. The Shocker hit back with a blast of his own, which hit Iron Man square in the chest and appeared to stun him for a moment. Sensing victory, Shocker stepped forward, only to have Iron Man blast a support post into his foe, knocking him unconscious. Thor stepped in to gift wrap the bad guy while Iron Man pursued his master.

Iron Man flew straight through the door he'd seen Red Skull use, to find the villain was coming back out. They collided, Red Skull flying across the room and into the opposite wall in a heap. Just as Tony was thinking this was looking too easy, he was blindsided by the real Red Skull standing beside the door and his armor was deactivated, leaving him trapped inside.

The Red Skull laughed. Part one of his plan had been accomplished, and easily enough. But no time to gloat, he reminded himself, Thor would be finishing up with the pawn soon and he didn't want to be anywhere nearby when that happened. Hurriedly he made his exit, past his very useful clone.

Marvel Knights

Elektra had spent the last few days in a bad mood, wandering the streets of New York. At this point, she was in the Steinway district when she saw a manhole cover blow into the air propelled by what appeared to be sand. The sand took a familiar form as the Sandman stepped up carried a Native American staff. "This is just what I need today" Elektra thought, as she squared off against the Sandman.

As the living sand solidified, preparing for its own attack, Elektra sprung into action. Calling on all her martial arts training, she kicked here, punched there, flipped over there and it was over as soon as it had started. She picked up the staff just as the sand was seeping down into a nearby gutter drain. A frantic man, obviously of Native American descent, rushed to her and reached for it. "Thank you, thank you. This is an ancient artifact of my people."

"Whatever" she thought as she handed the staff over and continued her brooding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! It is a great game. I would love to see a reprint, if for no other reason than to bring more people on-board....creating support for some expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lo
msg tools
grab it while you can, the game is so hard to find, esp. new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls