Popular Tags: [View All]
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports Illustrated Baseball uses a special set of "10-39" dice.* These 3 six-sided dice have an unusual arrangement of pips that generates a number from 10 to 39 when rolled. Here's how to make a set of these dice:

You need 3 six-sided dice, and an Exacto-type knife.

For the three dice, one must be of a different color than the other two. The original dice were black, white and white; some sets were black, yellow and white. You can pick whatever colors you like -- perhaps the colors of your favourite team.# I like 12mm Chessex dice. They have pleasantly rounded corners, and are available in many colors. Your local game store probably carries them.

The knife should have a narrow, acute-angled blade, like the one in this picture:

What you need to do is change the numbering on the dice by removing some of the pips. Using the Exacto knife, carefully scrape the paint from the well of the pip. Try not to scrape off the actual plastic.

Here are the numbers you need to change:

Black:
6-->3 Remove the pips along one side, leaving a vertical line of three pips.
5-->3 Remove the pips from two opposite corners, leaving three pips: 3
4-->2 Remove the pips from two opposite corners, leaving two pips: 2

Yellow:
6-->0 Remove all pips from this face of the die.
5-->0 Remove all pips from this face of the die.

White:
6-->0 Remove all pips from this face of the die.

Now when the dice are rolled as a set, use the black die as the tens digit, and add the results on the other two dice for the ones digit. For example, 243 is a roll of 27.

Everything else you need to play the game is available on the web, ready to be printed out! Be sure to check out the incredible "Teams of the Past" set by Randy Cox. It includes the rules, all necessary charts, and 62 baseball teams from 1902 to 1999. It's available here at the Geek as full-page charts, or at http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modules.php?name=UpDownload&r... as individual player cards (I prefer the individual cards).

---

* Paydirt (originally titled Sports Illustrated Pro Football) uses "10-39" dice also.

# The standard rules for SIBB do not require three separately colored dice. One variant rule that I know of asks for a roll of the yellow dice, but I prefer not to use that rule. So use two colors if you prefer that -- it shouldn't really matter either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Great (and simple) method for creating these wonderful dice. I always pasted over each side with labels, but this is much more elegant.

One note of clarification, way back when, I submitted to BGG both the individual cards for the Teams of the Past (which I created) and the colorized version (which Mike Glaze created from my files). But only one was accepted (probably due to size back in the day). Maybe someone should upload the cards file again to see if it goes through.

And don't forget that those who prefer "modern" baseball can upload the 2003 game here on BGG, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david bigness
United States
richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you just don't have the time for this, you can pick up a pair from Darren Hunter in Minnesota. He sells them. Look for Red Zone/Paydirt Dice.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hunte006/FrameSet2.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe melch
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
how do i download the teams from 1902 -1999 and the other charts...

than you ,joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.