Popular Tags: [View All]
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

Welcome to the 'NESTORGAMES RINGS' game design contest.

It happens that, due to the manufacturing process of some nestorgames, I have a ton of spare 'ice' acrylic rings like these:

(not the black ones)

The rings are 8mm high. Inner diameter is 17mm and outer diameter is 22,5mm approx. A standard nestorgames plastic counter can fit inside, as you can see in the pic above. The ring can also support a standard nestorgames plastic ball (19mm) or a phenolic ball (1 inch), for example.

I want to use these rings for a game (other than Crosshairs and Line or Colour), so here is a contest for you. Enjoy!

The rules:

1. Deadline for submissions is oct-31-2014

2. The game must use FORMAT 1 and the mentioned rings. An appropriate number of rings should be 20-50. See FORMAT 1 technical specifications here:

http://www.nestorbooster.com/format1.html

3. The game must be added to the bgg database. Thumbs up help. Fans help. In case the admins don't approve the game you can add it to 'Unpublished Prototype'.

4. The game must be added to the NESTORGAMES RINGS game design contest geeklist.

5. Rules must be clearly written and uploaded in PDF format (english only) to the bgg page for the game. Nice documentation helps.

6. Images help. Turn examples help. Cool artwork helps.

7. At least 5 different designers must participate in order for a winner to be eligible.

8. Plagiarism will be banned.

9. If we consider the winner good enough, it will be published (EDIT: obviously if we both reach an agreement). Some non winners might be published too.

10. NESTORGAMES reserves the rights to change anything about the published game/s. EDIT: This just means that the final product may be different from the original, due to production issues.

11. You can comment the entries in this thread.

12. Ask your questions here. Do not send messages to the NESTORGAMES e-mail about this contest.

13. Not following these rules may result in not considering your game for evaluation.

14. I can update/add/explain the rules if needed.

15. One person can submit more than one game.

16. Of course I'm paying royalties for the published games.

Good luck everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding points #10 and #16, if Nestorgames alters a submitted design just enough that it can arguably declared a diferent design, will the original designer still get royalties should it be published?

For example, a design is submitted using a circular gameboard. Nestorgames substitutes a square gameboard.` Is that now Nestergames' design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Regarding points #10 and #16, if Nestorgames alters a submitted design just enough that it can arguably declared a diferent design, will the original designer still get royalties should it be published?

For example, a design is submitted using a circular gameboard. Nestorgames substitutes a square gameboard.` Is that now Nestergames' design?

I will never change a game to that degree. Only sizes, colours,...

Edit: Sometimes the designer and I have agreed on a change that improves the game experience, or makes the production cheaper. But it's still the designer's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n_r_a wrote:
3. The game must be added to the bgg database. Thumbs up help. Fans help. In case the admins don't approve the game you can add it to 'Unpublished Prototype'.

Really?

According to the BGG guidelines:
Quote:
...a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form.

Is this really likely in a little over 2 months?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
n_r_a wrote:

Really?

According to the BGG guidelines:
Quote:
...a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form.

I see BGG is making some things a bit difficult. You can add it to 'unpublished prototype'. If not enough time, please post a reply on the geeklist and we'll deal with it. No worries.

The idea behind submitting it as a game to bgg is to get more exposure for it, and more voters and support. But it's not mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my Digital Ludeme Project: http://www.ludeme.eu
badge
Researcher in AI and automated game design.
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
Oh yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nestor, it seems from your photo that the rings are translucent enough that you can see whether they contain a piece (looking from the side rather than above) and if so then what colour it is. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Nestor,

Although I've understood that the 'white' rings are the ones you have a surplus of, is it okay (i.e. for these purposes eligible) if the game uses black and white ones - and in fact uses them in equal quantity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
camb wrote:
Nestor, it seems from your photo that the rings are translucent enough that you can see whether they contain a piece (looking from the side rather than above) and if so then what colour it is. Correct?

Yes, I'd say you can spot any colour, but only under good light conditions.

A risky move for a designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mocko wrote:
Nestor,

Although I've understood that the 'white' rings are the ones you have a surplus of, is it okay (i.e. for these purposes eligible) if the game uses black and white ones - and in fact uses them in equal quantity?

Yes, you can use black, too. But I'd prefer an elegant solution where only the white ones are used. And also used in a way that no other component can be used, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
Might get some more entries if you post here as well:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/974620/boardgamegeek/design-c...

Thanks for hosting!

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Netherlands
Maastricht
Limburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nestor, when a 19mm plastic ball sits on a nestoring does it fit snugly into the ring or sit mostly on top of it?

i.e. is it easy to pick a ball up from a ring without disturbing the ring?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Stanimir
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camb wrote:
Nestor, when a 19mm plastic ball sits on a nestoring does it fit snugly into the ring or sit mostly on top of it?

Cameron

I was wondering the same thing. Here's what I ended up with based on the provided dimensions (side cross section):

There's a space of about 3mm between the ball and the table. Judging by the angles I'd say the ball wouldn't get stuck in the ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can corroborate that….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
camb wrote:

Cameron

Yes, it's easy to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I will consider participating if I get some good ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Interesting, I will consider participating if I get some good ideas

Please do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rings stack well as they are? Obviously they're not cut to fit in to each other. Is cutting possible? Such as cutting notches in the ring, to show different values? Are there other ways of marking or coloring them?

What's a reasonable number of rings to use in one game? For example, if a game asked for 100 rings, is that unfeasible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Do the rings stack well as they are?

Up to 6 they stack well.

Quote:
Obviously they're not cut to fit in to each other. Is cutting possible?

Nope.

Quote:
Are there other ways of marking or coloring them?

Only placing a counter inside, or a ball on top.

Quote:
What's a reasonable number of rings to use in one game? For example, if a game asked for 100 rings, is that unfeasible?

As stated in the contest rules, around 20-50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Stanimir
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Néstor, I have a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to put a counter inside a ring AND a ball on top? I think it should work but the ball might be a bit unstable (or not eye pleasing).

2. If answer is no to the point above, would it be acceptable to build counters out of 3mm acrylic (to allow for more room for the ball)? Technically the acrylic would be lighter than the normal counters, taking final cost down(?)

3. How many colors does the 3mm acrylic come in (except transparent)?

4. Can the design include about 15 small cards? I am thinking hidden objective.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sufertashu wrote:
Néstor, I have a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to put a counter inside a ring AND a ball on top? I think it should work but the ball might be a bit unstable (or not eye pleasing).

Yes, but not eye-pleasing. The ball moves.

Quote:
2. If answer is no to the point above, would it be acceptable to build counters out of 3mm acrylic (to allow for more room for the ball)?

Tested it. Still no eye-pleasing.

Quote:
Technically the acrylic would be lighter than the normal counters, taking final cost down(?)

But acrylic is expensive.

Quote:
3. How many colors does the 3mm acrylic come in (except transparent)?

Blue, red, yellow, green, pink, black, white.

Quote:
4. Can the design include about 15 small cards? I am thinking hidden objective.

Yep. But preferably not language-dependent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there other standard components that work with the rings? For example, a disc. Could a disc act as a lid for example? I assume you could stack ring disc ring disc. I'm trying to figure if some form of stability could be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Are there other standard components that work with the rings? For example, a disc. Could a disc act as a lid for example? I assume you could stack ring disc ring disc. I'm trying to figure if some form of stability could be found.

Yes, I can make 3mm thick circle lids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Stanimir
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many colors for plastic counters? Line or Colour uses 7. Are there more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sufertashu wrote:
How many colors for plastic counters? Line or Colour uses 7. Are there more?

Those 7 plus black and white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.