Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Ogre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shooting the treads, how does it work? Also D results against ogres? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. So i will be equally happy to be pointed to the rulebook for the Deluxe edition as i will be to get an answer, but i am wondering how shooting the treads works in general.

1)They have no defense as far as i can tell so do i even roll or is it just if you are in range you hit?

2)When i attack with a unit how much tread damage does it do? Is it the attack points of the unit? We played it last night that the infantry did one tread damage per attacking squad and everyone else did one tread damage per attack, even heavy tanks. That seemed wrong.

3)I know it very clearly says D results have no effect on Ogres. I assume that includes their guns? So i cannot disable a battery or missiles for one turn yes? I had a thought it might be just for tracks...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treads are attacked one unit/weapon at a time (no grouping) at 1-1, and a hit damages treads equal to the attack rating of the attacking unit/weapon.

D results never affect an Ogre in any fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7.13.2 Attacks on Ogre treads. If the Ogre’s tread units are the target, each attack must be made by an individual unit, and always at 1-to-1 odds. In other words, after the attack is announced, the attacker rolls the die, and on a roll of 5 or 6 (X at 1-1 on the CRT), the Ogre loses a number of tread units equal to the attack strength of the attacking unit. Thus, a successful Heavy Tank attack on treads would cost an Ogre 4 tread units. Exception: up to three infantry squads in the same hex may combine fire against treads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoganbball23 wrote:

1)They have no defense as far as i can tell so do i even roll or is it just if you are in range you hit?

They have a fixed defense ratio of 1-1 rather than a Defense number. You _always_ resolve attacks on treads by rolling a die and comparing to the 1-1 column.

hoganbball23 wrote:

the infantry did one tread damage per attacking squad and everyone else did one tread damage per attack, even heavy tanks. That seemed wrong.

That is wrong. The number of treads removed is equal to the attack strength of the attacking unit; your instincts are correct. That must have been a very rough game on the defense :-)

hoganbball23 wrote:

3)I know it very clearly says D results have no effect on Ogres. I assume that includes their guns? So i cannot disable a battery or missiles for one turn yes? I had a thought it might be just for tracks...

That applies to _every_ component on the Ogre; batteries, treads, whatever. Since you mentioned missiles, it's also worth noting that Ogre missiles are single-shot weapons. Firing one is the same thing as it being destroyed by an attack; check it off on your stat sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon Greatwolf wrote:
Exception: up to three infantry squads in the same hex may combine fire against treads.

True. however, I'd prefer three 1:1 chances to remove up to 3 treads rather than one 1:1 chance to definitely remove 3 treads.

Think of a D result against an OGRE as Dented paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.