Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press is out in stores! Thanks to all our Kickstarter backers for making it happen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a difference a year makes.

Last year, Robert and I came to Gen Con with a pasted-up prototype as one of 16 finalists in Cards Against Humanity's first Tabletop Deathmatch. We only had one day, and we left exhausted, unsure of how our game had measured up against the impressive competition.

This year, we returned with the (nearly) final version of Penny Press as Tabletop Deathmatch champions (along with our friends, Discount Salmon). We had a booth in the exhibit hall, a successful Kickstarter campaign under our belts, and scheduled demos set up by our publisher, Asmadi Games.

Thanks to everyone who played the game, thanks to our Kickstarter backers who said hello, and thanks to the fine folks who told us how much they were looking forward to the game. We can't wait to get it to you!

Here's a brief travelogue from our time at Gen Con 2014.

Even from the airport, Indianapolis goes out of its way to welcome gamers. We found it to be a super-friendly place to visit.

We enjoyed the view from our hotel window. Indianapolis is a nice-looking city -- not too big, and easy to get around.

But we didn't have much time for sight-seeing. We had games of Penny Press to demo with our nearly-finished board (after Gen Con, we made a few color corrections before sending the files off to the printer).

Our publisher, Asmadi Games, had a room off the exhibit hall, which was much quieter and a much easier environment in which to demo.

The demos ran really smoothly. Robert and I had the pitch and patter down to a science, and people really seemed to enjoy the game. We ran about half of the demos, and Asmadi Games folk ran the other half.

As part of our prize for winning CAH's Tabletop Deathmatch, we also shared a booth on the exhibit hall floor with our co-champions, Discount Salmon. Designer Marcus Ross and his brother, Kenneth, took turns dressing up in a fish costume, drawing in tons of people. The Ross family really rocked it!

Of course, we didn't spend the entire Gen Con working. Robert visited the Fantasy Flight booth to see what new X-Wing models were available...

...while I ran into celebrities Bob and Angus, stars of Mayfair's Bob and Angus Show.

Even running from appointment to appointment, there was plenty to see, such as all the excellent costumes...

...and the fabled Cardhalla.

In addition to our Penny Press duties, we were filmed playing and commenting on one of 2014's Tabletop Deathmatch finalists. The games this year look great, and we can't wait to see what CAH and Loading Ready Run do with season 2!

We made it home, tired but very happy with our second Gen Con experience. It's been a full, rewarding year, and with Penny Press at the printer, Robert and I have started kicking around ideas that we hope will lead to us bringing another game to Gen Con someday.

###
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great travel log, Matt!

Matt and I made an effort to run as many of the planned sessions of Penny Press as we could. At one point Matt did 5 sessions in a row, I think. At the very least we would try to make an appearance at the table if we couldn't be there to run the entire session. We got to meet a lot of our kickstarter backers! I want to say thanks to everyone who stopped us to shake our hand; it's quite neat to get recognized and stopped by fans, and it was a new and fun experience for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I've enjoyed following your journey with Penny Press and can't wait for my copy to arrive. Secretly hoping you find your way to BGG.CON in November so I can tell you thanks in person!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press is out in stores! Thanks to all our Kickstarter backers for making it happen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I don't think we'll make BGG con, though it is high on our travel wish list! Roll a few dice for us while you're there, and have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.