Subject: Shops in Killeen & Austin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone share the locations and opinions of gaming stores in the Killeen and Austin areas?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Lair is going to be top on the list:

http://www.dlair.net/

(map)
http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd-local-more&stx=dragons+...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Hall in Austin probably has the biggest selection of euros.

http://greathallgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Hall Games is great! They have already low prices and a frequent buyer program that feels like a steal. Great selection of euros, card games, war games and gaming components. If they don't have it at Great Hall, they will order it for you, slap on their low price and call you when it comes in. Very friendly staff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
There is also Kings' Hobby.
Not as great a selection as Dragon's Lair or Great Hall Games, but they also have lots of train sets, and such like.

http://www.kingshobby.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Hall Games is my absolute favorite. The review posted a few replies up is spot-on, with one slight exception. I don't find their prices exceedingly low-- you can usually get things a couple bucks cheaper online, even with shipping. However, the frequent buyer card evens it out a bit (I got about $40 in free games out of it), and even without the frequent buyer card, the slightly higher prices are more than worth it when you think about how awesome the owners are. They know every game I've ever had a question about, and they're incredibly enthusiastic. They've helped me make educated choices and pick out what are now among my favorite games in my collection.

Dragon's Lair is pretty good if you know what you want or would like to make one stop to hit board games, fantasy/sci-fi minis, card games, and comics. They've got a wider range of stuff, but if you want board games or historical minis, you can't go wrong with Great Hall Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll back up Joe's and Geoff's recommendation. In addition to boardgames and historical minis, they also specialize in puzzles (from jigsaw to elaborate wood and iron creations), Chess and Go, playing cards, and boardgame bits. Add to that, they have historical minis painting/kibitzing on Thursday nights, open boardgmaing Friday evening and all day Saturday, and historical miniatures on Sundays. Great staff and cool clientele to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, ooh! There's one other thing that we've all forgotten about Great Hall. They have a grip of games that are open and labeled as "Demo Copy". You can open these games, unfold the boards, heft the pieces and eye the artwork firsthand. This is a nice touch, if you are at all unsure about buying a certain game.

Dragon's Lair is nice too. They have a vast catalog, but they've done nothing special to keep coming back. Well, they did have those customer appreciation days. They gave out coffee and cookies on Wednesdays.

Here's a more poignant question. How come none of us Austin BGG'ers have gotten together yet to have a game day?

Edited because I am a doofus and type too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an Austin BGGer and I would love to get together and play some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the "Austin Boardgame Group" meets every Saturday from 11:00 or so till 8 pm on Saturdays at Great Hall. Best thing to do is show up, grab some tables and start to play. There is also open boardgaming on Friday nights from 6 pm till midnight. The more serious game players show up on Saturday. I tend to play Friday nights on the way home from work. In fact, BGGer Dan Becker hosted a Commands & Colors: Ancients mini-tourney last night. (I got smacked down in every game. laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is anyone's interest in playing a game of Twilight Imperium 3E some Saturday afternoon at Great Hall? I'd love to play a six-player game of this. Just throwin' out the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to play Conquest of the empire (or any game) in Austin, PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, you pose an excellent question. I'd love to meet up for some board gaming. I really should stop by Great Hall some Saturday and join in the fun-- this last weekend I dropped in to buy some games, but wasn't able to stick around and play. Besides that, though, I'd be very interested. All my board game buddies are in Houston. My friends in Austin are all too fixated on video games to even get through the rule book for the kinds of board games I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be cool if we set up, unofficially, a BGG meetup one Saturday out of the month at Great Hall during the Board Gaming timeslot. I'd be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My friends in Austin are all too fixated on video games to even get through the rule book for the kinds of board games I like.

Ain't that the sad truth of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I'm going to head out to both Dragon's Lair and Great Hall to check them out.

Anyone know about Slaughter House Games in Killeen? I found them on the web, wondering if I should waste my time.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been to Killeen, so unfortunately I can't help you there. If you make it there, please reply with your opinion! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Well, the "Austin Boardgame Group" meets every Saturday from 11:00 or so till 8 pm on Saturdays at Great Hall. Best thing to do is show up, grab some tables and start to play. There is also open boardgaming on Friday nights from 6 pm till midnight. The more serious game players show up on Saturday. I tend to play Friday nights on the way home from work. In fact, BGGer Dan Becker hosted a Commands & Colors: Ancients mini-tourney last night. (I got smacked down in every game. laugh )

If the Austin Boardgame Group is playing on Saturdays, is it cool with them if other groups show up and snag a table? Would that be infringing upon their alloted time? Or are there tables to spare and the more the merrier?

I was thinking about scheduling and announcing a BGG meet-up for an upcoming Saturday to play games with whomever from the 'Geek would like to show up and game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

If the Austin Boardgame Group is playing on Saturdays, is it cool with them if other groups show up and snag a table? Would that be infringing upon their alloted time? Or are there tables to spare and the more the merrier?

I was thinking about scheduling and announcing a BGG meet-up for an upcoming Saturday to play games with whomever from the 'Geek would like to show up and game.

Most of the ABG members are also BGG members, so it would pretty much be one in the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Here's a more poignant question. How come none of us Austin BGG'ers have gotten together yet to have a game day?

This is probably a good time to remind the Austin folks that there are a couple Yahoo groups that are used to announce and organize game days. They are:

RRGamers: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/rrgamers/
austinboardgamers: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/austinboardgamers

Although the RRGamers list started out for use by our game group, it has grown and I have no problems with people using it to organize any game day in the Austin area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself, I just show up bringing what I want to play or jumping into whatever needs a place filled. Like Mike said, a lot of us are BGG, too, so bring yer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shops in Killeen & AustinHall
UPDATE: November 2009

I'm glad to report that both Great Hall Games and Dragon's Lair in Austin are still going strong (though only Great Hall hosts game days that aren't RPG/collectible card games). I put info about them and some newer shops (Rogue's Gallery in Round Rock, Tribe in South Austin and Wonko's in Cedar Park) in the Austin Guild here: Austin, TX, USA.

There is also a list there of current game nights that are open to anyone and would welcome folks from BGG (and their friends).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Williamson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb

TRIBE Comics & Games
2919 Manchaca Rd. #102 78704

Best pricing of the three.

They sponsor:
South Austin Game Night
Tuesdays 6:00 @ Austin's Pizza on South Lamar
groups.google.com/group/sagn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have lived in the Killeen area for 9 years and haven't found much at all. The Book Stan on Ft. Hood Street has a few games but not much. The Book Stan can order any game but to be honest, after dealing with them a couple of times, I would rather buy from the marketplace here on BGG. If you find anything besides the Austin stores let me know!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way... it has been a while since I have been to Slaughter House games, but when I visited, it was basically all figurine/ minis games. I would love to hear different now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |