Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be attending a conference in Washington, DC, arriving on a Monday morning and departing on a Thursday morning. (Sept 18-21) I'll only have access to public transportation. Are there any decent game stores that are accessible via the public transportation system? I'm fairly familar with the Metro. Busses are a little more intimidating to me.

Are there any game groups that meet on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wasn't still summer, I'd suggest DreamWizards which is about a 15 minute walk from White Flint Station. But otherwise, there really isn't anything that is metro accessible (that I can think of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
kilarney wrote:
I'm going to be attending a conference in Washington, DC, arriving on a Monday morning and departing on a Thursday morning. (Sept 18-21) I'll only have access to public transportation. Are there any decent game stores that are accessible via the public transportation system? I'm fairly familar with the Metro. Busses are a little more intimidating to me.

No... Seems like we get this question every week. DC sucks as far as game stores go. Someone suggested that it was because the rent was too high, which I could believe. Either way, there are a very small number of game stores here. This combines poorly with the fact that the public transit system (in particular the metro) has very poor coverage of the suburbs, where almost everyone lives, and thus the stores are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind a bit of a walk. I'm from northern Vermont, so warm weather is appreciated that time of the year - it will be quite cool back home. I'm hoping it won't be too hot in DC to walk around in the evening.
How about Child's play? (5536 Connecticut Ave.)
How about the Compleat Strategist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
I don't mind a bit of a walk. I'm from northern Vermont, so warm weather is appreciated that time of the year - it will be quite cool back home. I'm hoping it won't be too hot in DC to walk around in the evening.
How about the Compleat Strategist?

Personally, I have found The Compleat Strategist to be disappointing. Having been in other branches, I found this one to be a bit "hole-in-the-wall" (not always a bad thing), with no appreciable customer service (I wasn't even greeted). The selection was not wide, although it was deep in some particular collectible areas. It's a shame you don't have any access to either of the Game Parlors (Chantilly and Woodbridge, not easily accessible by public transportation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think Dream Wizards is worth the walk, myself. Unless you're interested in Warhmammer stuff.

The Game Parlor is by far your best bet, but neither locale is even remotely accessible by Metro:

http://www.gameparlor.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Parlor does look really good. I checked out the commuter rail, Zip Car, etc. Let's just say that all of the options are absurd. I like to browse in a new store, but I'm not about to spend at least $25 for the privilege.

Oh well... I guess if I get bored I may make the walk to Dream Wizards. I'm not expecting much, but it might be a good excuse to get out for a walk.

Too bad. For a city with so many visitors, there really isn't anything too convenient to the Metro.

Now I'm looking at the Games Club of Maryland website to see if any of the events can be reached by Metro. Doesn't look to be the case on the nights that I am there. I am impressed with how many gaming events they have - pretty much something every night of th week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just order from Thoughthammer. There's nothing special in the DC area as far as game stores go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Just order from Thoughthammer. There's nothing special in the DC area as far as game stores go.

Sometimes I like to browse. You'll never see me buying a $60 game at a FLGS, but I almost always buy something in the $20-$25 range when I visit. Since I tend to order one game at a time from internet sellers, the savings for cheaper games are lost when shipping is factored in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you weren't coming down the weekend before. Believe it or not, there is a Game Con going on at the University of Maryland (www.TriaDCon.org) which is Metro accessible.

On Tuesday, we have our weekly GCOM/V event at the Game Parlor in Chantilly. I can give you a roundtrip ride from the Herndon Monroe Park and Ride Lot to the Game Parlor. This would mean taking the metro to West Falls Church on the Orange Line and taking the Fairfax Connector to the Park and Ride lot (see www.wmata.com for more info). Both services run late enough to attend the session.

Tom McCorry
GCOV Chantilly Site Host

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
Oh well... I guess if I get bored I may make the walk to Dream Wizards. I'm not expecting much, but it might be a good excuse to get out for a walk.
Not sure why more people aren't positive about Dream Wizards. It's not a bad store. I've bought things there before and played games with the eurogame group that meets there. If you make the trip out to White Flint, I'd also recommend a stop at Lotte, the Asian supermarket a couple doors down on the same street, for a fun (but cheap) snack.

Lotte Plaza--Rockville
11790 Parklawn Drive
(301) 881-3355

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmccorry wrote:
Too bad you weren't coming down the weekend before. Believe it or not, there is a Game Con going on at the University of Maryland (www.TriaDCon.org) which is Metro accessible.

That's a total bummer. I looked at the schedule, and it is something that I would have LOVED to have attended. This is my first business trip of any length since we've had our two children (the oldest turns 3 in October), so I didn't want to push my luck with my wife. I have to say, though, that it would have been tempting to add the weekend before to attend the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who lives in DC without a car, trust me, none of the standalone game stores are really public transit-accessible unless you're something of a masochist. Dream Wizards (which, I agree, is decent) comes closest, but it's a vile walk post-Metro. And Compleat Strategist isn't worth the trip (unless, maybe, you're a wargamer).

Child's Play on Connecticut Avenue is worth a visit -- especially if you have kids who would welcome a present after your first business trip away from them... It has a good selection of Eurogames, an owner who loves/plays games, and knowledgeable employees (including the Geek's own "That Falafel Girl"). They are located on Connecticut Avenue, just south of the Maryland border (the block north of McKinley Street if you're looking at a map).

Take the (red line) metro to Friendship Heights and walk east on Western Avenue until you get to Connecticut Avenue (maybe 1/3 of a mile), then head south (away from the traffic circle) a couple of blocks. If you're overburdened with packages on the way back, there are crosstown busses on McKinley (just south of Western) that would take you back to the FH metro.

There's a Starbucks, a great old movie theater (The Avalon), a Ben & Jerry's, and a nice italian restaurant (Arucola), in the same strip as Child's Play, so it's an outing you could combine with dinner/movie/snack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maramba
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
I don't mind a bit of a walk. ... I'm hoping it won't be too hot in DC to walk around in the evening.

By the middle of September, it should be cool enough that even an hour's walk shouldn't be uncomfortable, especially in the evening.

Child's Play is readily accessible via MetroBus/Rail. Take the Red Line to Van Ness-UDC, then the L2 up Conn. Ave. You can plan your itinerary at www.wmata.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second (third?) the recommendation for Child's Play, so long as what you're looking for is Eurogames.

Dream Wizards has one poor shelf of wargames and not much more in the way of Euros. For Warhammer/RPG stuff it's probably pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, there will be a gaming convention the weekend before at the Univ. of Md.

www.triadcon.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Child's Play it is - especially since I can pick up some gifts for the kids.

Pardon a stupid question from someone who lives in the country, but how exactly do I do the bus transfer? Do I have to pay extra to ride the bus after I get off the Metro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Dream Wizards is a pretty good store, IMO. But I like RPGs, which it has a good selection of. It has a decent boardgame selection. Everything is at MSRP though, and its a 35-45 minute drive, which I have trouble describing as local. I keep meaning to get out to Child's Play some time.

kilarney wrote:

Pardon a stupid question from someone who lives in the country, but how exactly do I do the bus transfer? Do I have to pay extra to ride the bus after I get off the Metro?

There is a machine/kiosk that will give you a piece of paper. This should reduce your bus fare. Notice that you must get it before exiting the station (aka before going through the card reading gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
St. Patrick for Banish the Snakes by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is a machine/kiosk that will give you a piece of paper.

To clarify: you must get this transfer ticket in the station that you start at, not where you leave the Metro. You've got to plan ahead a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Metrorail transfer (the kiosks are usually right before the escalator to the train platform -- they are brown machines with a big silver button you push), bus fare is $.35 if I remember correctly (vs. $1.25?). There's no price break when you start a trip on a bus and switch to metro (though bus to bus transfers are free and work for both directions -- ask for one when you get on.)

Having lived at both stops, I'm fairly certain that Friendship Heights is a shorter walk to Child's Play than Van Ness is. Van Ness puts you on CT Ave. but about a mile south of your destination. FH puts you maybe 1/2 of a mile west of your destination but just about where you want to be on the N/S axis. Oh yeah, and FH also has movies, restaurants, and ice cream (our own local brand -- Gifford's instead of that Vt stuff you're used to, LOL!).

Have a great visit/trip!
Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best game stores in the Metro area is Other-Realms located near LakeForest Mall in Montgomery County

It is on 18226 Flower Hill Way in a small shopping center. I am a loyal customer not an owner. Have to support our FLGS!!

Has a good selection of Wargames and a great/superb selection of EuroGames and WarHammer and a huge playing area.

Seek them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls