Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY, I was able to get in a game with Pillar that I was able to document for a session report. Note when my opponent chose Flit I was both pretty excited (in my last report there were comments that Pillar doesn't stand a chance in this matchup) and at the same time not liking my chances much.

On with the game!

My opening hand: Caterpillar Lightseeker, Caterpillar Fireeater, Heat Haze, Wild Unicorn, Potion of Cosmic Power, and Halitosus Teriblus. I was thrilled with this and would have loved to lead this game, but she won the coin toss.

Fight 1:

F: Bashdin (2e)

*sigh* My wonderful hand is all just an illusion. If I toss caterpillars, I get rid of cards I can play nearly any time and some strong anti-flit weapons. I only have two characters, and if I choose any of those to discard I have to play Wild Unicorn as my matching character, wasting my only shield super early. Or, as a third option, I could choose arguably my strongest Potion booster as one of the discards. Sucks to be me.

P: (discards Halitosus Teriblus and Caterpillar Fireeater)
Wild Unicorn + Caterpillar Lightseeker + Heat Haze (3e)

This was the best compromise I could come up with for the discard, since we were fighting in earth. I went strong on the non-character cards here hoping she'd be brave enough to keep fighting and gut her hand...

F: Retreat

...but she wasn't. I got a dragon, but my hand was really not good - all characters, no boosters.

Pillar 1, Flit 0

Fight 2:

F: Cheepchirrup (2e)

Damn. Cheep is one of a handful of cards that can really mess Pillar up. I'm already thinking of retreat here, but decide to throw out a character just to clear my hand a bit and see how she responds.

P: Lonus Mightius (2e)
F: (Retrieves Cheepchirrup) Cheepchirrup (2e)

I figured. At least I can get this guy off the table early instead of it hurting me later.

P: Retreat.

0-0

Fight 3:

P: (discards Potion of Sparkling Fire to decline start)

I don't recall what was in my hand, but what I do remember is there was a risk of gutting my entire hand by starting the fight with the cards I hand.

F: Steepstoop (2f)
P: Devius Maximus + Butterfly Scout (2f)

A bit of an agonized play cus Devius is 6 in earth, but again I needed to be extra careful about managing my hand. I was particularly grateful to get the Scout out as always.

F: Peckswift + Rain of Fire + Flaming Dust (8f)

She went big, but I'd been leading up to what came next.

P: Primus Magicus + Potion of Cosmic Power (12f)

Saving the potion from early discard was a good call.

F: Tittertweet + Launch Burning Earth + Launch Rockdrop (5f)

She drew Tittertweet after I butterfly scouted. Damn. There were a couple of cards that could have nixed me here, and Titter is one of them.

P: Retreat.

Bad side: Flit has 7 cards in play and I lost two dragons. I was worried about getting blown out at this point. Good side: No retrieving went on, so Titter and two other characters are gone. I'm really hoping to keep whittling her down so Beguile Holy Dragon isn't an option later.

Flit 2, Pillar 0

Fight 4:

P: Bodius Maloderus (1f)

Another "wasted" character since he's 4 in earth. Usually doing this too much spells complete annihilation for this deck so I'm trying to avoid it when I can.

F: Flitterflutter (2f)

ARGH. I drew Giant Butterfly Eveningbreeze after playing Bodius last turn and now it's stuck in my hand.

P: Introvertus Completus + Caterpillar Watertamer (4f)

I was really hoping to save this last caterpillar for Crysalus Frendus (The effect of one of my Caterpillar booster cards doubles) but being down 0-2 I didn't want to wait anymore.

F: (Retrieve Flitterflutter) Squadron Leader Squeak + Launch Locust Paratroopers (6f) (discards Flitterflutter and Trililling)

WOW. I have to consider her discarding instead of retreating here her first real mistake. I was thrilled to see Trililling (Your booster cards are ignored) go for obvious reasons, and the loss of two characters for nothing at all for Flit is just grievous.

P: Smartia Pantia + Giant Butterfly Eveningbreeze (6f)

Can now play the butterfly support since Flitterflutter is history.

Bittersweet. With 5 cards I only win one dragon, and my hand was gutted again (no boosters).

Flit 1, Pillar 0

Fight 5:

F: Squadron Leader Squeak (2e)
P: Bottelus Emptius (2e)

I've been waiting to pounce with this guy (You may not take further cards into your hand). Cements the permanent loss of another character.

Damn. I know Bottelus isn't a happy card for the Flit, but I didn't expect this. I'd found out why this happened at the beginning of next fight.

0-0

Fight 6:

F: Proud Phoenix Phil (0e)

Huh? Time to find out what's going on here. It was about this time that I realized all the nasty Flit dragon-related leadership cards were still out there waiting to bite me in the ass, so I told myself to stay vigilant.

P: Deploy Butterfly + Bigus Musselus (5e)

Her hand was hurting, badly. Proud Phoenix Phil was the only character card she had left, and she didn't draw one to replace him. The rest of her hand: the three leaderships I just mentioned above, her mutant, and a booster. Knowing she couldn't even retrieve PPP to play her mutant, I chose my most disposable character figuring I'd win the fight. I really thought she should have declined to start here.

F: Commence Megalaunch (to burn it), then retreat.

Pillar 1, Flit 0

Fight 7: (lot of fights this game)

F: (discarded Distract Holy Dragon + Sloth Gas + Dazzling Flares to decline start)

The last of the dragon-sucking cards were now history. This is getting better by the minute.

P: (discarded Pen-dor-Nith to decline start)

I deliberated over this for about a minute before finally doing it. My hand consisted of these cards: Mutant + Bounceback + Gloria Gracia + Speedius Unnecessarius + Potion of Mutation + Potion of Conjoining + Potion of Trembling Earth. I had a few things in mind: 1. The Pillar mutant is a pain in the ass to play, and this late in the game I wasn't expecting Flit to be able to make it to 6 cards anyway. 2. My hand was so much better for following suit after a fight lead. 3. Forcing Flit to start meant playing another character without a booster, showing me what she still had in-hand character-wise. 4. I was covered pretty well in both fire and earth.

F: Highchirp (2e)

This after typing to me, "you are pure evil", referring to my fight decline right after hers. You know you're doing something right when you get a message like that.

P: Speedius Unnecessarius + Potion of Conjoining (7e)

Pedal to the metal. These two cards are made for each other.

F: Carl Kamikaze Crow + Itching Bugs + Boiling Oil (8e)

My first thought on seeing this, without looking at my hand: "Ick." After looking at my hand?

P: Gloria Gracia (retrieve Potion of Conjoining) + Trembling Earth + Butterfly Morningwind (8e)

Being able to land this kind of combination is what Pillar is all about. Support-type card retrieves strong booster, then gets jumped to high power with another perfectly-suited booster, then jumps another gear with free support. Even better, I'm still capable of hitting this level of power a couple more times.

F: Wing Commander Razorfeather + Titanic Gauntlets (8e)

Knew this was coming, since I hadn't seen Razorfeather yet and Titanic Gauntlets was still on the table after my last disclose.

P: Bounceback (8e)

I held onto this for a very long time before finally playing it here.

F: Beguile Holy Dragon (discarded mutant, Flight Leader Squawk, and Highchirp), then retreat.

This surprised me quite a bit, mainly because I didn't expect her to have the characters left to do this and still leave her a chance to win. As it turns out, she didn't. She may not have been able to pull it out anyway, but I thought this plus not retrieving Razorfeather were both big mistakes.

Pillar 1, Flit 0

Fight 8:

F: Flit showed her four remaining cards, which consisted of 3 boosters and another non-character card. She was obviously forced to decline here, following which I would have led and won one more fight before she was forced to decline again, tossing her remaining card and ending the game. Whatever chance she had to pull this one she killed by playing Beguile Holy Dragon.

Final score: Pillar 3, Flit 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
Her hand was hurting, badly. Proud Phoenix Phil was the only character card she had left, and she didn't draw one to replace him. The rest of her hand: the three leaderships I just mentioned above, her mutant, and a booster. Knowing she couldn't even retrieve PPP to play her mutant, I chose my most disposable character figuring I'd win the fight. I really thought she should have declined to start here.

F: Commence Megalaunch (to burn it), then retreat.

Clearly the play of PPP was wrong. No deck (not even the Mimix who have the highest character ratio) can really afford to be drawing one card for a character, but the Flit really can't afford it.

Decline to start a fight was my first thought. But I had a second: Commence Mega Launch, PPP and the booster. (You can consider not playing the booster, but I want to draw three cards.)

Caveat: I haven't analysed the session up to this point to check which Flit cards are gone.

Hang on, was just about to submit and then remembered what the Flit mutant is. Could just start with that, with Commence Mega Launch, and then possibly also booster. (FAQ.)

And people say there are no choices in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:

Pillar 1, Flit 0

Fight 8:

F: Flit showed her four remaining cards, which consisted of 3 boosters and another non-character card. She was obviously forced to decline here, following which I would have led and won one more fight before she was forced to decline again, tossing her remaining card and ending the game. Whatever chance she had to pull this one she killed by playing Beguile Holy Dragon.

Final score: Pillar 3, Flit 0

I take it this Final score is factoring in the point for winning...yes?

Nice session!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is, after I won this fight she was prepared to lead the next fight with her mutant, again her only character. I'm not sure what was going through her head cus she's normally pretty savvy, so I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do this, following which she changed her mind and declined to start.

Dearlove wrote:
Hang on, was just about to submit and then remembered what the Flit mutant is. Could just start with that, with Commence Mega Launch, and then possibly also booster. (FAQ.)

Sheesh. I've looked at the FAQ countless times but never picked up on this. It's amazing that you can have 100+ games under your belt and still
learn new things.

Dearlove wrote:
And people say there are no choices in this game.

No kidding. I was playing Vulca vs. Flit the other day and, with Fearsome Spirits already out, my instinct was to follow-up with Flickering Fires and nail down at least two dragons... but something foolish told me not to so I held up. The very next turn my opponent played Distract Holy Dragon and retreated, beginning for me what was a huge chain of lost dragons due to Flit leadership or boosters (three or four by game end). I eventually lost the game by running out of cards with all the dragons in the middle. It's amazing how something as seemingly minor as playing or not playing Flickering Fires can change a game dramatically.

Octavian wrote:
I take it this Final score is factoring in the point for winning...yes?

Yup. I fixed that in one of the several edits, because I originally typed it as 2-0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls