Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the title says...I'm here in Richmond looking to hit a local shop for something to do...if any locals could hook me up with a shop or 2 of interest I would be most greatful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this article will help:

http://www.richmondreview.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=45...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be a term for what happens when you read about a previously unknown FLGS nearby, get terribly excited and then realize that it's in a foreign town by the same name. The store appears to be in Richmond, British Columbia, not Richmond, Va., USA.
In Richmond Va., the only store I've heard mention of is "1 Eyed Jacques."
It's apparently pretty decent, from reports. (I've not been able to get down there, yet.) There also might be something down in Colonial Heights to the south which is apparently a more upper-class area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! I apologize for own stupidity and misinformation. I read the article quickly, and assumed it was VA.

Thank you for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I did the same thing with that article since my family live in Richmond. I can't tell you how many local websites just assume that only local people will visit them on the WORLD WIDE WEB (you know, it's called that for a reason) and don't make it clear what state, country, continent, planet they're in. Annoying.

Anyway, I can vouch for 1 Eyed Jacque. Like many good stores, they have open gaming in the back.

Of course, you're only a couple hours from Norfolk VA where you can visit the greatest game store on the planet: Campaign Headquarters. Games of all kinds and open gaming on the weekends that goes into the wee hours -- I learned to play Settlers there back in 1999 -- my first intro to eurogaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there is a second game store here in Richmond... It's on Southside, on Hull Street, in the Victorian Square Shopping Center... That's the one with the K-Mart... It's called Gamez, Sportz and Cardz... It has a different mixture of games than Jacques does... If you're going to be in town this Saturday, Richmond BoardGamers is having a game day from around 12 to 7 at Jacques... Feel free to drop in... I'm on vacation and won't be there, but many other people will be...

These are the only two decent stores here in Richmond...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few in here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update to this, since these posts are a bit outdated.
(repeated on all 4 Richmond, VA links on FLGS US tabs)

I moved to the Richmond area 3 years ago, and here's what I've found as far as gaming stores go. These are sorted by distance from center of Richmond.

One Eyed Jacques - 3104 W Cary St Richmond, VA 23221 (3.6 miles from center)
Still opened. I find it a bit uninviting as far as hanging out or events, not a Magic Den but still some LGS problems. They have a very good collection of games, about 10 tables to play on. Biggest pro in my eyes is the Scratch & Dent section, which offers new, damaged games at 50% off (sometimes as little as a small corner dent).

FTW Games - 13176 Midlothian Turnpike Midlothian, VA 23113 (13.8 miles from center, W-SW)
I have not spent time here but I hear it's a great place for Warhammer and other wargames, as well as bigger, heavier games. No clue on selection.

Dragon's Den - 4336 Pouncey Tract Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23060 (15.9 miles from center, in Short Pump)
This gets my recommendation. They are a bit smaller than the other 2, offering only about 6 tables, but I feel they make up for it significantly with their friendly, customer oriented attitude. The store always appears clean. There selection is a bit smaller than above (and no scratch and dent ) but they stock new titles and have a good special order policy.
Biggest pro for me is the demo section. They offer a large library of games that can be played at the store for free or rented for like $7, and if you decide to buy the cost comes off the final price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls