Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

just played the first three rounds of the game and ran into a load of questions.
I collected them here and also tried to come up with my own answers to keep the game going.
Maybe Mateusz or someone from the team can comment.
Note that I played solo, with only one Convict.

Q: is the introduction a typo? It states a campaign is 10 "matches" but then the rest of the rules refer to 20 rounds? What exactly is considered a match?

Q: Buildings and technologies:
if I read correctly, there are no technology requirements for building higher level Libraries, right?
What is required to build e.g. Third level barracks? Construction, Chainmail and Crossbow Technologies, or just construction and to build it and then having chainmail allows swordsmen and crossbows allows crossbowmen?

Q: Battle: The description of Step 4 (page 17) says that the EN of a unit/siege engine on a wall is increased by the LEVEL of a fortification, whereas the example box increases it by the current EN of the wall, not the level. Which is correct?
As Mateusz already answered the RFS reduction of enemy units is -1 for the entire group (which to me directly contradicts the wording in the rules, p. 9). How is it handled for the Beasts dodge ability then?

Q: In which order are the different wall sections resolved. It is really only important for siege weapons and melee, as these involve dice rolls.
I played in a way that the MAD wall section is handled first, and then the others are resolved in an order chosen by the player.

Q: A Towers sections ever attacked by ladders?
I played no, as a result, units in towers are fairly save except from ranged and siege attacks

Q: Boulders and Cauldrons are considered Siege Machines. No walls, regardless of level have siege machine slots, but Boulders and Cauldron only make sense if they can be used on walls. So which kind of walls can have them installed, and how many of each? Are there any other siege machines that can be installed on walls? Do the colored borders of the siege machine counters mean anything?

Q: What is the Range of Ranged and Siege Attacks?
I ruled the following:
a) Boulders and Cauldrons are on Wall sections only, and have an Range of "0", e.g. they attack only on Step 10 of the resolution, and only once, however it does not have to be the first combat cycle.
Archers on Walls have a Range of "1", this means they can only attack units in "their" wall's Foreground.

Archers on Towers (excluding Level 0 Towers) have a Range of "2" meaning they can attack both adjacent Foregrounds and Deployment zones. (e.g. the NW Tower can attack N and W, but not E or S)
This is in line with the information on page 9, but contradicts with the rules on 16 (Step 1). It also leads to the rather funny effect that invader ranged attacks (which are not elevated at all) have a larger range than units on Walls or Fences.

Q: What is the EN of the Gate?
I ruled it is the same as that of the N Wall in which the gate is situated

Q: What is the MAD for Forestmen if there are several walls tied for strength?
I would rule as follows: If the N wall with the gate is part of the tied walls, it is chosen, otherwise roll randomly between all walls of equal strength.

Q: During the Setup Stage, where do units go if there is no space on walls or towers for them?
The Keep cannot hold units (other than its contingent of Ranged and Siege units) during that phase, so where do they go?

Q: Hail of Stones says it must be used "AFTER" a regular Boulder or Cauldron attack.
Does this mean that the spell is only effective if you have any Boulders or Cauldrons, and then only at the walls where these are installed?
I ruled no, and just used the statement as a guideline for the spell's timing

Q: Can a unit "die twice"? Sound stupid, especially if you are not 007, but I had the following situation:
Player: Spearman(2) + Pallisade + d3=1 = 4
Invader: Heavy Footman(2) + d3=3 = 5
That means that the Player must eliminate 1 EN worth of units, which is the spearman. But the rule on p.19 states that because of the roll of 1 vs. 3, the player must eliminate an extra unit. If I use Protection to save the spearman, does he still die?
I ruled yes, as the save occurs between the two death effects.
Also in that scenario (which happened in Match 1) would that single die roll allow the single spearman to survive and destroy two buildings immediately. This would mean that the first turn especially could be quite random.

Q: Is the Invader deck shuffled each match?
If you shuffle it, one could simply use a die, if you don't it ensures and even mix of different attackers and gives you a chance to predict to some extend who will attack
I ruled it would be shuffled each round, but feel now it should only be shuffled when empty.

Q: Can invaders from different Deployment zones and/or Foregrounds combine their RSF to overcome high Wall EN values?

Q: How are fractions of ST or RSF handled?
According to the statement in the rules "if the result is euqal or higher", I would think fractions are simply lost, but must be assigend iif any unit is there with a EN that could be matched,

Q: How do the combat phases work if there are multiple cycles of the combat steps because the invader did not retreat. I am referring in particular to the two ranged attack phases.
I had three Archers in a Wooden Tower in the NW and two Archers in a Wooden Tower in the NE.
Six Forestmen Heavy Footmen where still in the Foreground from last round. If I simply follow the procedure in the rulebook, I would eliminate 5 of them in step 1, skip steps 2-5 (no invader ranged attackers, no siege engines, invader already in the foreground and then eliminate the last Forestmen in step 6 before he had a chance to climb the wall. Correct? That would make archers in towers extremely powerful, especially if you eliminate any counter fire first...

Q: Does the rule of 1 pip vs. 3 pips in melee even apply in the case the high roller lost the combat due to ST+SU+(EN) being higher, leading to the effect that the winner of a melee could lose a single unit?
If the defender wins, but loses his only unit due to that situation, are buildings destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:

Q1: is the introduction a typo? It states a campaign is 10 "matches" but then the rest of the rules refer to 20 rounds? What exactly is considered a match?
A match is a group of several rounds. The number and length of matches depends on the players. You can play 10 matches during the campaign (about 90min each), or finish campaign during one 15h match.
Tarod wrote:

Q2: Buildings and technologies:
if I read correctly, there are no technology requirements for building higher level Libraries, right?
What is required to build e.g. Third level barracks? Construction, Chainmail and Crossbow Technologies, or just construction and to build it and then having chainmail allows swordsmen and crossbows allows crossbowmen?
Yes, there are no technology requirements for Library.
To build Third Level of Barracks, you need all three technologies (construction, chainmail and crossbows). After you invent these technologies, you can build Third Level of Barracks and start training your units.
Tarod wrote:

Q3: Battle: The description of Step 4 (page 17) says that the EN of a unit/siege engine on a wall is increased by the LEVEL of a fortification, whereas the example box increases it by the current EN of the wall, not the level. Which is correct?
You should use the EN of a fortification, and in most cases it is the same value as the LEVEL.
Tarod wrote:

Q4:As Mateusz already answered the RFS reduction of enemy units is -1 for the entire group (which to me directly contradicts the wording in the rules, p. 9). How is it handled for the Beasts dodge ability then?
My earlier comments were not complete. There are two types of the RFS changing. You can reduce/increase RFS for the entire group or for each unit separately.
If you need to reduce the RFS by the amount of EN resulting from the current Fortification level or you use Cover (type of siege machines), you reduce RFS for entire group.
But if you use special abilities/special rules of Siege Tower, Dodging, Fortification (4/5 Level) or any Boss and Heroes abilities, you just reduce/increase RFS for each unit separately.
Tarod wrote:

Q5: In which order are the different wall sections resolved. It is really only important for siege weapons and melee, as these involve dice rolls.
I played in a way that the MAD wall section is handled first, and then the others are resolved in an order chosen by the player.
Player with the First Player token starts from his section (if he has more sections he can choose) second section is the next in the clockwise diection etc.
Tarod wrote:

Q6: A Towers sections ever attacked by ladders?
I played no, as a result, units in towers are fairly save except from ranged and siege attacks
No, invaders can't attack any Tower sections by ladders (they can only use ranged units/siege machines to attack any Towers).
Tarod wrote:

Q7: Boulders and Cauldrons are considered Siege Machines. No walls, regardless of level have siege machine slots, but Boulders and Cauldron only make sense if they can be used on walls. So which kind of walls can have them installed, and how many of each? Are there any other siege machines that can be installed on walls? Do the colored borders of the siege machine counters mean anything?
You can install 1 Boulders AND/OR 1 Cauldron on every Wall section (regardless of its level). These are only siege machines, which you can install on a Wall.
The colored borders are only for ease of distinction.
Tarod wrote:

Q8: What is the Range of Ranged and Siege Attacks?
I ruled the following:
a) Boulders and Cauldrons are on Wall sections only, and have an Range of "0", e.g. they attack only on Step 10 of the resolution, and only once, however it does not have to be the first combat cycle.
Archers on Walls have a Range of "1", this means they can only attack units in "their" wall's Foreground.
Archers on Towers (excluding Level 0 Towers) have a Range of "2" meaning they can attack both adjacent Foregrounds and Deployment zones. (e.g. the NW Tower can attack N and W, but not E or S)
This is in line with the information on page 9, but contradicts with the rules on 16 (Step 1). It also leads to the rather funny effect that invader ranged attacks (which are not elevated at all) have a larger range than units on Walls or Fences.
These are the general rules (on page 16), and all special rules can change it (e.g. Fence section special rules or Boulders special rules). So your list of ranges are correct.
You can imagine that invaders units are located on the hills
Tarod wrote:

Q9: What is the EN of the Gate?
I ruled it is the same as that of the N Wall in which the gate is situated
Exactly.
Tarod wrote:

Q10: What is the MAD for Forestmen if there are several walls tied for strength?
I would rule as follows: If the N wall with the gate is part of the tied walls, it is chosen, otherwise roll randomly between all walls of equal strength.
You need to roll randomly.
Tarod wrote:

Q11: During the Setup Stage, where do units go if there is no space on walls or towers for them?
The Keep cannot hold units (other than its contingent of Ranged and Siege units) during that phase, so where do they go?
You coudn't deploy more units, if you have more just they have to stay home (but I've never had this situation in the game).
Tarod wrote:

Q12: Hail of Stones says it must be used "AFTER" a regular Boulder or Cauldron attack.
Does this mean that the spell is only effective if you have any Boulders or Cauldrons, and then only at the walls where these are installed?
I ruled no, and just used the statement as a guideline for the spell's timing
You don't need any Boulders or Cauldrons to use Hail of Stones.
Tarod wrote:

Q13: Can a unit "die twice"? Sound stupid, especially if you are not 007, but I had the following situation:
That means that the Player must eliminate 1 EN worth of units, which is the spearman. But the rule on p.19 states that because of the roll of 1 vs. 3, the player must eliminate an extra unit. If I use Protection to save the spearman, does he still die?
Also in that scenario (which happened in Match 1) would that single die roll allow the single spearman to survive and destroy two buildings immediately. This would mean that the first turn especially could be quite random.
No, any unit can only die ones in the same step of battle stage.
It's important to have at least two warriors on each Wall section just in case, so you can largely eliminate random factor.
Tarod wrote:

Q14: Is the Invader deck shuffled each match?
If you shuffle it, one could simply use a die, if you don't it ensures and even mix of different attackers and gives you a chance to predict to some extend who will attack
I ruled it would be shuffled each round, but feel now it should only be shuffled when empty.
Standard rules say that you need to shuffle deck in each round. But if you prefer, you can shuffle only when empty (but as you've said, you can predict the enemy in this situation).
Tarod wrote:

Q15: Can invaders from different Deployment zones and/or Foregrounds combine their RSF to overcome high Wall EN values?
No, invaders attack from each direction separately.
Tarod wrote:

Q16: How are fractions of ST or RSF handled?
According to the statement in the rules "if the result is euqal or higher", I would think fractions are simply lost, but must be assigend if any unit is there with a EN that could be matched,
Yes, fractions are simply lost.
Tarod wrote:

Q17: How do the combat phases work if there are multiple cycles of the combat steps because the invader did not retreat. I am referring in particular to the two ranged attack phases.
I had three Archers in a Wooden Tower in the NW and two Archers in a Wooden Tower in the NE.
Six Forestmen Heavy Footmen where still in the Foreground from last round. If I simply follow the procedure in the rulebook, I would eliminate 5 of them in step 1, skip steps 2-5 (no invader ranged attackers, no siege engines, invader already in the foreground and then eliminate the last Forestmen in step 6 before he had a chance to climb the wall. Correct? That would make archers in towers extremely powerful, especially if you eliminate any counter fire first...
You are right, but remember that invaders almost always have numerical superiority and have counter fire (so you need to focus on melee or ranged invaders).
Tarod wrote:

Q18: Does the rule of 1 pip vs. 3 pips in melee even apply in the case the high roller lost the combat due to ST+SU+(EN) being higher, leading to the effect that the winner of a melee could lose a single unit?
If the defender wins, but loses his only unit due to that situation, are buildings destroyed?
Yes, this rule apply in each situation. And if you lose your only unit, you need to destroy some buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that sorts out almost everything. Thanks for the quick reaction.

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q5: In which order are the different wall sections resolved. It is really only important for siege weapons and melee, as these involve dice rolls.
Player with the First Player token starts from his section (if he has more sections he can choose) second section is the next in the clockwise diection etc.

So in case of single player game, I get to choose freely between all walls, correct?

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q8: What is the Range of Ranged and Siege Attacks?
I ruled the following:
These are the general rules (on page 16), and all special rules can change it (e.g. Fence section special rules or Boulders special rules). So your list of ranges are correct.
You can imagine that invaders units are located on the hills

And to be complete, Ranged units in a Level 2/3 keep would have a Range of "3", allowing them to shoot everywhere on the board.
Catapults, Onagers and Bombards only attack Deployment zones (as stated on P. 14) but if they are in a Level 3 Keep, they can target any Deployment zone, from a tower, they can only target the two adjacent Deployment zones. The Ballista is the only Siege Engine that can attack the Foreground in addition to the Deployment zone. As above, all of them if installed in the Keep, adjacent ones only from Towers.

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q10: What is the MAD for Forestmen if there are several walls tied for strength?

Just a entirely random roll or is the Gate somehow favored, as for Barbarians or Beasts?

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q13: Can a unit "die twice"? Sound stupid, especially if you are not 007, but I had the following situation:
It's important to have at least two warriors on each Wall section just in case, so you can largely eliminate random factor.

So in the example here, Protection would have saved the Spearman entirely?

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q18: Does the rule of 1 pip vs. 3 pips in melee even apply in the case the high roller lost the combat due to ST+SU+(EN) being higher, leading to the effect that the winner of a melee could lose a single unit?
Yes, this rule apply in each situation. And if you lose your only unit, you need to destroy some buildings.

But in melee, a single unit can kill multiple enemies if the difference is large enough, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Strange
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm currently revising and rewriting the English rules for Mateusz. It's going to take a little while as I will be doing a number of play throughs to iron out the word salad and make sure their are no issues. Hopefully more questions will be posted and answered and I will try to incorporate them into a revised rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osama El Agha
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanx to all for these Questions and answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I thought I got it now and tryed to write down a summary of ranged combat but unfortunately it is not that easy.

Here's my attempt of a summary:

Q: How are ranged attacks calculated correctly?
For the Defender:
1. Determine Range
Ranged Units on walls can attack only their adjacent foreground.
Ranged Units on Towers (excluding level 0 towers called Fences) can attack both adjacent Foregrounds and Deployment Zones (e.g. the N and W zones from the NW tower.
Ranged Units in a level 2 or 3 Keep can shoot into all deployment zones and Foregrounds
2. Select Target
Each ranged unit has one projectile. Each unit can target on invader unit. If the RFS is equal or higher than the Invader's EN, it is eliminated. Alternatively, RFS from multiple ranged units can be combined against a single target. If the combined RFS is equal or higher than the EN, the Invader is eliminated Leftover RFS is lost in either case.
Level 4 and 5 Towers and the Beasts' Dodge abilities modify RFS of each unit.
Cover Siege Machines increase the EN of the target but help only ranged Invaders units
Example 1: Three Archers target a zone with three Wolfmen Javelin Throwers (EN 1 each) and a Werewolf (EN3). Each Archer could eliminate a single Javelin Thrower (RFS 1 each) or they could combine all three projectiles to eliminate the Werewolf (RFS 3x1 vs EN3)
Example 3: Three crossbowmen (RFS 2) are attacking a zone with three Barbarian Slingers (EN 1), Two Warriors (EN 2) and a Giant (EN 5). Each Crossbowman could eliminate a single Slinger or Warrior each, or they can combine all their three projectiles to eliminate the giant. The single leftover RFS could not be used to kill a Slinger.
Example 4: Three Archers on a Tower with Hoardings (Level 4) are attacking a zone with Cover and 2 Wolfmen Javelin Throwers. Each Archer has a RFS of 2 now, which is not enough to eliminate a Javelin Thrower in Cover (EN 3). Two Archers could combine their RFS to eliminate a single Thrower, but the third Archer would not be able to eliminate anything.
Note that all Archers can shoot twice per combat sequence, in Step 1 and Step 6 unless there is a surviving invader unit on their wall from an earlier combat sequence ??

For the Invader
Range is fixed. Invader ranged units can only attack Towers and Walls on their side of the deployment zone (e.g. N Deployment zone can target N Wall, NW and NE Towers). Invader ranged units never leave their deployment zone, so their SU value is useless.
Targeting is random for the Barbarians, rolling a die. Wolfmen and Forestmen select the lowest EN fortification or Tower with targets and will favor the Wall in case of ties.
Assigning damage:
Invader attacks target weakest units first, the fortification is counted only once for the entire group of targets.

I think I got all of the Range issues right, as well as Towers and Dodge modifying each unit's RFS independently.
While the idea of projectiles and target EN seems logical and straightforward to me, it contradicts directly with the rules on p. 16.
That would make my examples incorrect. EN from cover seems to be added only once in total. That would mean that my Example 4 is wrong. Three Archers (RFS 1 each) on Hoardings (+1 RFS each) for a total RFS of 6 attack two Javelinmen in cover (EN 1+1+2) and eliminate all of them?
That leads to funny effect where part of a crossbowmen or Arquebusier helps kill a big Invader and the rest of his bullet "splits off" to kill a weak unit...

Things that came up while typing I could not find anything in the rulebook about:

- Cover works only for ranged Invaders. If I target a mixed group, it is applied once? If I target only melee invaders, is Cover ignored?
- What happens if Barbarians roll a target with no units on? Is their ranged attack wasted or do they only roll of between targets that are manned.
- Since the attackers also combine their RFS and deduct EN only once, what happens if the attack kills all Defenders and there is leftover RFS. Is all of it wasted or do the remaining units target another wall/tower?

This would allow to put a single sacricial spearman in a tower with low EN and have the Invader "waste" all of its RFS on that single guy.

While possible, this seems to comlicate things a tad.

- What exactly indicates a ranged defender unit as having been in close combat? Do I have to make a mental note of it or is it only applicable if an invader of at least on combat group survived and is therefore actually on the wall?
I would strongly favor the second, because it is easy to track an explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, played to round 7 now, more questions

Q: Determining MAD:
The rules say the defender's ST and fortification EN are added to determine to determine MAD.
Does this mean that Ranged units only contribute their ST, and Siege Machines contribute nothing, because they have no ST?
Is only the wall section considered or also the towers?

Q: Giants
When exactly can a giant use his Special Attack?
The fact that it is listed as having a ST instead of a RSF plus that it occurs in phase 12 lets me think that it is only executed if the Giant is already on the foreground. Is this correct? Or is it a thrown boulder?
The manual states that the giant uses this attack if it is a supporting unit.
Is this in addition to adding its SU? Does demolition take place? Before or after melee clashes? (Wall EN affects melee outcome)
If the giant is leading the combat group, will he use demolition?
If there are multiple (supporting) Giants, are there multiple Demolition attacks?

Q: Keep construction
The cost of the keep Level II and III are different on the summary sheet. I assume those printed in the manual and on the building cards are the correct ones?

Q: Siege machine targeting:
The manual (p.17) says Invader siege machines attack from strongest to weakest. Does this mean Trebuchet->Catapult->Ballista? Is this handled per wall or do all Ballistas attack first, starting with those attacking the first player going first? In case of conflict, can the players decide the order?
When Siege machines target units, the rules say they target weakest units first. The example on p.17nmakes me think that means lowest EN first (which makes sense, since these are the easies targets). What happens if differnt units are tied for EN? (e.g. there are archers and spearman on the wall) Roll randomly? Players choice? Ranged before Melee or Melee before Ranged?

Q: Indestructable siege machines
I had the Invader attacking with a Ballista, and had no siege machines of my own. As a result, I had no means of targeting the Ballista.
I ruled that even after all invader units had been eliminated, the Ballista would keep firing. I saved my units by retreating them from the walls and towers to the keep and then "waited" until a failed loyalty roll forced the lonely Ballista to flee.
In case of a siege machine able to target fortification, would I have to endure the fire until the loyality check fails? Or are thes machines considered "abandoned" if all units (cubes) are gone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q: So in case of single player game, I get to choose freely between all walls, correct?

A: Yes.

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q: Just a entirely random roll or is the Gate somehow favored, as for Barbarians or Beasts?

A: No, the Gate isn't favored in this situation.

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q: So in the example here, Protection would have saved the Spearman entirely?

A: Yes, this Spearman is safe.

matio2007 wrote:
Tarod wrote:

Q: But in melee, a single unit can kill multiple enemies if the difference is large enough, correct?

A: Yes, a single units can kill more than one enemy in melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:

Q19: How are ranged attacks calculated correctly? For the Defender:
1. Determine Range
Ranged Units on walls can attack only their adjacent foreground.
Ranged Units on Towers (excluding level 0 towers called Fences) can attack both adjacent Foregrounds and Deployment Zones (e.g. the N and W zones from the NW tower.
Ranged Units in a level 2 or 3 Keep can shoot into all deployment zones and Foregrounds
2. Select Target
Each ranged unit has one projectile. Each unit can target on invader unit. If the RFS is equal or higher than the Invader's EN, it is eliminated. Alternatively, RFS from multiple ranged units can be combined against a single target. If the combined RFS is equal or higher than the EN, the Invader is eliminated Leftover RFS is lost in either case.
Level 4 and 5 Towers and the Beasts' Dodge abilities modify RFS of each unit.
Cover Siege Machines increase the EN of the target but help only ranged Invaders units
Example 1: Three Archers target a zone with three Wolfmen Javelin Throwers (EN 1 each) and a Werewolf (EN3). Each Archer could eliminate a single Javelin Thrower (RFS 1 each) or they could combine all three projectiles to eliminate the Werewolf (RFS 3x1 vs EN3)
Example 3: Three crossbowmen (RFS 2) are attacking a zone with three Barbarian Slingers (EN 1), Two Warriors (EN 2) and a Giant (EN 5). Each Crossbowman could eliminate a single Slinger or Warrior each, or they can combine all their three projectiles to eliminate the giant. The single leftover RFS could not be used to kill a Slinger.
Example 4: Three Archers on a Tower with Hoardings (Level 4) are attacking a zone with Cover and 2 Wolfmen Javelin Throwers. Each Archer has a RFS of 2 now, which is not enough to eliminate a Javelin Thrower in Cover (EN 3). Two Archers could combine their RFS to eliminate a single Thrower, but the third Archer would not be able to eliminate anything.
Not exactly. In fact it's simpler.
Exampel 1: Three Archers target a zone with three Wolfmen Javelin Throwers (EN=1) and a Werewolf (EN=3). First you add up RFS of all Archers: 1+1+1=TOTAL RFS 3. And next you eliminate the enemies with total EN=3 or lower (and no more than 3 units).
Example 3: Three crossbowmen (RFS 2) are attacking a zone with three Barbarian Slingers (EN 1), Two Warriors (EN 2) and a Giant (EN 5). First you add up RFS of all Crossbowman: 2+2+2=TOTAL RFS 6. And next yo can eliminate the enemies with total EN=6 or lower (and no more than 3 units). So you can eliminate three Barbarian Slingers OR Giant + one Slinger OR Two Wariors and 1 Slinger. You don't need to specify which defender kills which invader, you treat it as a volley of shots ("salvo").
Example 4: Three Archers on a Tower with Hoardings (Level 4) are attacking a zone with Cover and 4 Wolfmen Javelin Throwers. Each Archer has a RFS of 2 now, and you need to add up RFS of all defenders: 2+2+2= 6. The RFS is decrased by 2 (EN of the Cover). So TOTAL RFS 6-2=4. You can eliminate three Wolfman Javelin Throwers (becouse you couldn't eliminate more than 3 units).
Tarod wrote:

Q20: Note that all Archers can shoot twice per combat sequence, in Step 1 and Step 6 unless there is a surviving invader unit on their wall from an earlier combat sequence ??
Yes, they can shoot twice.
Tarod wrote:

Q21: How are ranged attacks calculated correctly? For the Invader.
Range is fixed. Invader ranged units can only attack Towers and Walls on their side of the deployment zone (e.g. N Deployment zone can target N Wall, NW and NE Towers). Invader ranged units never leave their deployment zone, so their SU value is useless.
Targeting is random for the Barbarians, rolling a die. Wolfmen and Forestmen select the lowest EN fortification or Tower with targets and will favor the Wall in case of ties.
Assigning damage:
Invader attacks target weakest units first, the fortification is counted only once for the entire group of targets.
I think I got all of the Range issues right, as well as Towers and Dodge modifying each unit's RFS independently.
Ecactly.
Tarod wrote:

Q22: Cover works only for ranged Invaders. If I target a mixed group, it is applied once? If I target only melee invaders, is Cover ignored?
Yes, cover works only for ranged units. If you target a mixed group it's applied once. If you target only melee invaders, Cover is ognored.
Tarod wrote:

Q23: What happens if Barbarians roll a target with no units on? Is their ranged attack wasted or do they only roll of between targets that are manned.
Their ranged attack wasted.
Tarod wrote:

Q24: Since the attackers also combine their RFS and deduct EN only once, what happens if the attack kills all Defenders and there is leftover RFS. Is all of it wasted or do the remaining units target another wall/tower?
This would allow to put a single sacricial spearman in a tower with low EN and have the Invader "waste" all of its RFS on that single guy.
While possible, this seems to comlicate things a tad.
It's possible, when Wolfmen or Forestmen attack. It's a kind of ambush, you can encourage the enemy to attack the weakest point. But remember, that invaders attack from each direction, so this tactic is quite difficult. And in most cases you need the total Capacity of your towers.
Tarod wrote:

Q25: What exactly indicates a ranged defender unit as having been in close combat? Do I have to make a mental note of it or is it only applicable if an invader of at least one combat group survived and is therefore actually on the wall?
I would strongly favor the second, because it is easy to track an explain.
This is a very rare situation, but the first version is correct ("mental note"). Normally you don't use any of your ranged units in close combat, and if so, all of your ranged units from one Walls section fight against invaders (but is theoretically possible to use only a part of your ranged units in close combat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:

Q26: Determining MAD:
The rules say the defender's ST and fortification EN are added to determine MAD.
Does this mean that Ranged units only contribute their ST, and Siege Machines contribute nothing, because they have no ST?
Is only the wall section considered or also the towers?
Only wall section is considered. Siege machines contribute nothing (on Walls section you can place only Boulders/Cauldron).
Tarod wrote:

Q27: Giants
When exactly can a giant use his Special Attack?
The fact that it is listed as having a ST instead of a RSF plus that it occurs in phase 12 lets me think that it is only executed if the Giant is already on the foreground. Is this correct? Or is it a thrown boulder?
The manual states that the giant uses this attack if it is a supporting unit.
Is this in addition to adding its SU? Does demolition take place? Before or after melee clashes? (Wall EN affects melee outcome)
If the giant is leading the combat group, will he use demolition?
If there are multiple (supporting) Giants, are there multiple Demolition attacks?
The Giant needs to be on the Foreground to use his ability. He attacks in normal way in close combat, and uses his special ability before. If the Giant in leading unit, he coudn't use this ability. If there are more Giants in the support, each of them can use Demolition.
Tarod wrote:

Q28: Keep construction
The cost of the keep Level II and III are different on the summary sheet. I assume those printed in the manual and on the building cards are the correct ones?
The rulebok and the building card are corrrect.
Tarod wrote:

Q29: Siege machine targeting:
The manual (p.17) says Invader siege machines attack from strongest to weakest. Does this mean Trebuchet->Catapult->Ballista? Is this handled per wall or do all Ballistas attack first, starting with those attacking the first player going first? In case of conflict, can the players decide the order?
When Siege machines target units, the rules say they target weakest units first. The example on p.17nmakes me think that means lowest EN first (which makes sense, since these are the easies targets). What happens if differnt units are tied for EN? (e.g. there are archers and spearman on the wall) Roll randomly? Players choice? Ranged before Melee or Melee before Ranged?
The correct order is: Trebuchet->Catapult->Ballista. First atack all siege machines from one direction (the First player direction), next from second direction etc.
Weakest units in this situation means lowest EN. If different units are tied for EN, players choice.
Tarod wrote:

Q30: Indestructable siege machines
I had the Invader attacking with a Ballista, and had no siege machines of my own. As a result, I had no means of targeting the Ballista.
I ruled that even after all invader units had been eliminated, the Ballista would keep firing. I saved my units by retreating them from the walls and towers to the keep and then "waited" until a failed loyalty roll forced the lonely Ballista to flee.
In case of a siege machine able to target fortification, would I have to endure the fire until the loyality check fails? Or are thes machines considered "abandoned" if all units (cubes) are gone?
This sentence (after all invader units had been eliminated, the Ballista would keep firing) means, that defenders or invaders don't need any additional units as a crew. One Ballista is the set of siege machine + crew. But the rule " Note: If at any time the invaders lose all of their Melee Units, they instantly retreat from the Battlefield and the Loot stage begins." (p.19) is valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Hoffmann
Germany
flag msg tools
Some more questions

Heroes:

Must the Deserter train a unit with an Action to get an additional unit for free or does he get one free unit every round?

Keep:
Are my ranged units in my Level 2 and 3 Keep save from the invaders? I didn't find any way they can be targeted.

Spells:
The Barrier and Aura last one round. Does this means that they are in effect for the complete siege phase of one round or until Step 13 of the combat phase. So is the my aura still active during the second attack of the invaders?

And on an Aura protected wall: do the invaders attack normally but no defending units die (but invading units can still die)?

Invaders siege attacks:
Do I have to treat each siege unit individually or do I add the total RFS together? Do I do this for each unit, for each unit type or all siege weapons together?
For example: I have a Level 4 wall and the invaders have a Ballista. If I have to roll each attack separately the invaders can never get over my walls endurance and the ballista is useless. If they can combine the two shots then they can hit my units.

1/2/3/4 Player Game:
Can players trade units? Or are the units usable by all the players? The rules say that each player gets units but especially with the siege units I could get in trouble with the available siege unit slots. For example: in a 4 player game I build my third siege unit but I can only use it when I'm the starting player and I control the keep. During the next 3 rounds I cannot use the siege machine.

Building costs:
The following buildings have different costs on the reference sheet (rs), the card (c) and the rulebook (rb):
Keep Level 2:
rs: 1 wood, 2 stone, 1 iron
c: 2 wood, 3 stone, no iron
rb: 2 wood, 3 stone, no iron

Keep Level 3:
rs: 1 wood, 2 stone, 2 iron
c: 2 wood, 4 stone, 1 iron
rb: 2 wood, 4 stone, 1 iron

Barracks Level 4:
rs: 6 wood, 2 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold
c: 6 wood, 3 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold
rb: 6 wood, 3 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold

Which is the correct one (I guess the card and the rulebook)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheveyome wrote:

Q31. Heroes:
Must the Deserter train a unit with an Action to get an additional unit for free or does he get one free unit every round?
Yes, the Deserter must train unit with an Action to get an additional unit for free.
Cheveyome wrote:

Q32. Keep:
Are my ranged units in my Level 2 and 3 Keep save from the invaders? I didn't find any way they can be targeted.
Yes, they can't be targeted.
Cheveyome wrote:

Q33. Spells:
The Barrier and Aura last one round. Does this means that they are in effect for the complete siege phase of one round or until Step 13 of the combat phase. So is the my aura still active during the second attack of the invaders?
And on an Aura protected wall: do the invaders attack normally but no defending units die (but invading units can still die)?
The Barrier and Aura are in effect for the complete siege phase of one round.
Aura protect only Fortifications (Walls), not defending units. Invaders and defenders units fight in the normal way.
Cheveyome wrote:

Q34. Invaders siege attacks:
Do I have to treat each siege unit individually or do I add the total RFS together? Do I do this for each unit, for each unit type or all siege weapons together?
For example: I have a Level 4 wall and the invaders have a Ballista. If I have to roll each attack separately the invaders can never get over my walls endurance and the ballista is useless. If they can combine the two shots then they can hit my units.
Each invaders siege machine attacks individually. But if this siege machine allows for two attacks, you need to add up RFS of each attack, and this is your TOTAL RFS. The only difference is that the siege machine with two attacks can kill two units.
Example: invaders use the Ballista and try to eliminate defenders (2 swordman and 1 spearmen) on Wall Level 2 (EN=2). Invaders roll two dices d3. Get 2 and 3 pips. 2+3=5. Next we deduct EN of the Wall and get the TOTAL RFS = 3. We can remove from the board 1 swordman (EN=2) and 1 spearman (EN=1).
Cheveyome wrote:

Q35. 1/2/3/4 Player Game:
Can players trade units? Or are the units usable by all the players? The rules say that each player gets units but especially with the siege units I could get in trouble with the available siege unit slots. For example: in a 4 player game I build my third siege unit but I can only use it when I'm the starting player and I control the keep. During the next 3 rounds I cannot use the siege machine.
Each player can use any of defenders units (on his sections of the Fortifications).
Cheveyome wrote:

Q36. Building costs:
The following buildings have different costs on the reference sheet (rs), the card (c) and the rulebook (rb):
Keep Level 2:
rs: 1 wood, 2 stone, 1 iron
c: 2 wood, 3 stone, no iron
rb: 2 wood, 3 stone, no iron
Keep Level 3:
rs: 1 wood, 2 stone, 2 iron
c: 2 wood, 4 stone, 1 iron
rb: 2 wood, 4 stone, 1 iron
Barracks Level 4:
rs: 6 wood, 2 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold
c: 6 wood, 3 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold
rb: 6 wood, 3 stone, 2 iron, 1 gold
Which is the correct one (I guess the card and the rulebook)?
Correct is the card and the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ekaitz banbowmn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much ,these responses have helped me to better understand this great game. I am very happy with the game.
One questions:

In battle stage I do step 1 in N,E,S,W. Then step 2 in N,E,S,W .....
Or step1, step2.........step13 in N, step1 ....step13 in E....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
banjoman wrote:

In battle stage I do step 1 in N,E,S,W. Then step 2 in N,E,S,W .....
Or step1, step2.........step13 in N, step1 ....step13 in E....
The first option is correct. Step 1 in N, E, S, W, next step 2 N, E, S, W etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Q: how do we resolve the stenched stakes damage? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As soon as the invaders move to the foreground, you count the numbers of each kind of invaders and consult the table at the top of the board.
For example: five Heavy Footmen and one Archer close in, then one of the five Footmen will die (you see under the 5 that 1 unit dies) but no Archer (you see under the 1 that 0 units die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Juri is right, but Archers can't move to the foreground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah! Thank you Mateusz... so ranged units always stay, shoot and never contribute to climbing the wall?
I was misled, because they have a SU-Stat, so I assumed they run with the horde to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Albricht
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they always stay, you can move only melee units:
"Step 5. Regrouping the enemy to the Foreground Zone.
The Invader’s Melee Units are moved to the Foreground Zone (if they’re not already there)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Estefania
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mateusz,

I've 2 questions:

Q1: Step 6 (Defender's ranged units second attack)- What happens if the invaders don't reach the walls due to a ditch? Does exists this second ranged attack??

Q2: Campaign mode. Every match of the campaign seems to be exactly the same. In theory, if I survived my first match (all 20 rounds), probably I'll be better prepared to survived the first enemy rounds of the second match,OK? I.e. Is the number and composition of the invader's army exactly the same every round in different matches?

Then, every subsequent match will be easier to survive. All my situation (units, technologies, fortifications, buildings, ...) is improving but the difficulty of the enemies remains the same. Is that true? Every match of the campaign is easier? There's someting wrong?

Thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ekaitz banbowmn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions:
1. Catapults , in page 14 say: "a catapults allows on attack to be performed ( on one target) ,in page 17 example step 4 "Catapult’s RFS is 3 and we add a dice roll (1 pip). Now the Catapult’s RFS is 4. From this result we deduct EN of the Wall (only 1 at this point) and get the final RFS=3. There are Spearmen (EN=1) and a Swordsman (EN=2) on the Wall that means we can remove 3 Spearmen from the board (following the rule that the weakest units are removed first)".
Hor many units can removed in one catapults attack?
2. Cauldrons roll I dice roll 2 and a 3 . I can kill a giant ( EN=5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Estefania
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

Forestmen: Special Rule - Lines.
What units have this ability? All?

In they rulebook There is no indication about.

Any idea??

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hiruma wrote:
Hi again,

Forestmen: Special Rule - Lines.
What units have this ability? All?

In they rulebook There is no indication about.

Any idea??

Thanks again

Only the Assassins have lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miguel, i think you are getting the terminology wrong...
A Match is just a number of rounds, you start from scratch in round 1 (basic village), fight a random type of round 1 enemy, then keep your village and proceed to round 2. once you finish round 20, you have one the game. To play again, you would resethe village to starting level again and replay. i think a lot of people find it on the easy side. You could use the optional level up of some or all enemies, I haven't tried that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Estefania
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Michael.

Surely, If I'm wrong is for the content of the rulebook:
Page 2: "The whole game-play consists of a campaign of 10 matches".

So, the match and the campaign game are the same: 20 rounds.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |