Per Matsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
I am going to Ronkonkoma for a few days next week (work) and just want to know if there are any FLGS in the area.
Since i live in Sweden I am primarily interested in games from US publishers, for example Avalon Hill (Roborally).

Thanks
Per

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best choice is to hit MonkeyHead Games in Selden and Men At Arms in Middle Island which are about 10 minutes away from each other at most.

Otherwise "hobbies" next to Kohls in Bayshore for a really weird selection presented in the poorest way possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - almost an hour to post today, Paul...what happened? lol...

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Wow - almost an hour to post today, Paul...what happened? lol...

Chris

Bad hour. Had to get the kids to daycare and camp. I didn't have access.

I'll try to do better in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Your best choice is to hit MonkeyHead Games in Selden and Men At Arms in Middle Island which are about 10 minutes away from each other at most.

Otherwise "hobbies" next to Kohls in Bayshore for a really weird selection presented in the poorest way possible.

a decent store, if not very cluttered... thats where i get the bulk of my gaming supplies...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Your best choice is to hit MonkeyHead Games in Selden and Men At Arms in Middle Island which are about 10 minutes away from each other at most.

Otherwise "hobbies" next to Kohls in Bayshore for a really weird selection presented in the poorest way possible.

a decent store, if not very cluttered... thats where i get the bulk of my gaming supplies...

OK, which one? You quioted three...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you take the train into the city and walk over to the "Compleat Strategist". The Penn station is between 32nd and 33rd streets and 7th and 8th avenues, while the the game store is on 33rd street near 5th avenue (actually in the shadow of the Empire State Building so its easy to find)
Friendly staff at the shop too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones mentioned, I prefer Men at Arms. They've recently expanded their selection a bit, improved their eurogames display and the owner is a very nice guy. Monkeyhead is a bit more expensive usually, and I don't find them to be that hospitable to eurogamers. Their primary focus seems to be CCG's, miniatures and RPG's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
donpaulo wrote:
I would suggest you take the train into the city and walk over to the "Compleat Strategist". The Penn station is between 32nd and 33rd streets and 7th and 8th avenues, while the the game store is on 33rd street near 5th avenue (actually in the shadow of the Empire State Building so its easy to find)
Friendly staff at the shop too.

Pennsylvania Station is located between West 31st Street and West 33rd Street / 7th and 8th Avenue. West 32nd Street is a one-way from the station.
well it being a one way street seems to imply that one is driving in which case you should check your sanity at the window since driving in manhattan is for the birds

FYI streets are divided into east and west configurations along 5th avenue.

you simply walk east on 33rd street, the compleat strategist is on the north side of the street in a small shop about 25 meters east of 5th avenue and 33rd street (the aforementioned empire state building)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Matsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions!

If i have the time over I will probably try Men At Arms or if I'm really lucky The Compleat Strategist.
My real problem is to get the spare time. Our schedule probably means that I will be working both day and night

Anyway, I'm looking forward to go since it will be my first visit to the US.

/ Per
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slyde wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Your best choice is to hit MonkeyHead Games in Selden and Men At Arms in Middle Island which are about 10 minutes away from each other at most.

Otherwise "hobbies" next to Kohls in Bayshore for a really weird selection presented in the poorest way possible.

a decent store, if not very cluttered... thats where i get the bulk of my gaming supplies...

OK, which one? You quioted three...

i was talking about "hobbies" in bayshore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Wow. 11 years later, that place is still open. How does he stay in buisness? Walkinging into that store is like walking through the mind of a schizophrenic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I was visiting (Long Island's my hometown), we found a nice board game store called Boardwalk Games Inc in Port Jefferson. About a 25 minute drive from Ronkonkoma. There's no play space, he was just selling games- I'd imagine his rent is already really high for being downtown. Games were pretty much MSRP, but we ended up buying Evolution Climate there, which at the time of our visit had just released and hard to find.

There's a real nice atmosphere there. We walked in to find the guy playing Rahdo Run Through videos on a mounted tv. The guy (owner maybe?) really knew his stuff and was offering us recommendations. There was a separate room for more casual games (various rethemes of monopoly, risk, life etc.) And the main room with all the modern games. Nice selection and setup. Squeezed a lot of games into a smaller space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schmalz
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all got any hot deals?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelmarcos wrote:
Last time I was visiting (Long Island's my hometown), we found a nice board game store called Boardwalk Games Inc in Port Jefferson. About a 25 minute drive from Ronkonkoma. There's no play space, he was just selling games- I'd imagine his rent is already really high for being downtown. Games were pretty much MSRP, but we ended up buying Evolution Climate there, which at the time of our visit had just released and hard to find.

There's a real nice atmosphere there. We walked in to find the guy playing Rahdo Run Through videos on a mounted tv. The guy (owner maybe?) really knew his stuff and was offering us recommendations. There was a separate room for more casual games (various rethemes of monopoly, risk, life etc.) And the main room with all the modern games. Nice selection and setup. Squeezed a lot of games into a smaller space.


I believe they may have moved (still in Port Jeff) -- but (apparently) they now have play space (at least, they seem to announce *events* on Facebook).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls