Forbidden Desert» Forums » Rules

Subject: Navigator moving the climber - I know, but its not answered :P rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boing Flip
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We had a game where the navigator moved the climber 3 tiles; standard. After moving one tile he was on the same tile as another adventurer and still had 2 moves left. Does the navigator need to take a new turn if he wishes to move both the climber and, well, any other adventurer with him? Essentially, can the climber pick up people while being moved by the navigator? In this case, the climber would move 3 tiles while the person he picked up would move two. Of course this could also work if the climber was moved 2 tiles to another adventure and then both move one more tile together for the climbers 3rd move from the navigator.

In the game we played we decided, after much arguing, that the navigator will have to spend 2 actions to make this move. One to pair the climber with the other adventurer, and another action to move the pair two tiles ( they could have moved 3, but for this strategy they only needed to move 2 ). Under this circumstance we could have salvaged one of the navigator's actions if the climber could have picked up the adventurer in passing.

The winning argument, or the one that let the game start again, was that the navigator allowed the climber to move from the current tile where there was no other adventurer. Therefore, there was no one to move with him the 1-3 spaces. So third times the charm..

When the navigator moves the climber, does the climber's special ability only activate from the starting tile or any tile he passes along the way?

Conversely, can the climber drop off an adventurer and keep going the rest of the navigator's action?

ps: We ended up winning, and this situation only came up once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis C
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi!

Perhaps this thread helps you: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16064879#16064879

In the rules we read about the Climber: "He may also take one other player with him whenever he moves". And in the explanation of the Navigator's powers it's said about the Climber that "when moved in this way, the Climber can also use his power to take along 1 other player—including the Navigator!". So no restrictions about beginning in the same tile.

The german version of the rules is a bit clearer about this, but I don´t know if Mr. Leacock has supervised it. There we can read about the Climber that he can always take with him one (but not more than one at the same time) adventurer (without extra costs). So: at any time and for free, I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Aleksandrowitsch
Russia
flag msg tools
Hello! I am from Russia, Saint-Petersburg. I do not speak in English.

External image

Navigator move a Archeologist:

External image

Does this take Navigator one action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I game in the Toon!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
sergey_Al wrote:
Hello! I am from Russia, Saint-Petersburg. I do not speak in English.

External image

Navigator move a Archeologist:

External image

Does this take Navigator one action?
Maybe.

Both this and the original question appear to come down to the same idea:

Does the Navigator's special action move the other player's piece as a single, indivisible unit, or does it move the piece one space, then optionally another space, then optionally a third space?

If the former, then the Climber can't pick up nor drop off other pieces on the way, and nor can the Archaeologist use a Dune Blaster in passing; if the latter, then they can.

Argument for the former: it's a single action, so shouldn't be broken up further.

Argument for the latter: the piece can only be moved if it could move those (up to) three spaces as so many individual actions on their own turn - but if they could move that way, then the Navigator can move them, taking account of any character abilities that apply, and using tunnels if appropriate - so the move must pass through those intervening spaces.

Similar questions: can the Water Carrier hand over water as a character passes nearby, or as he passes them? If the Navigator moves one character across a tile where another character is standing, can they trade water and items?

I don't have a theory about what the answer is/should be - so far, when it's had the potential to come up in games I've played, it hasn't determined the outcome of the game - there's always been another way to achieve the same thing without having to settle the question.

Edit: This thread: Three questions i ask Matt Leacock(Game Designer) contains a reportedly official ruling that the Climber can pick up and drop off other players in the course of being moved around by the Navigator as a single action.

By extension, I'd say that playing equipment and other non-action interruptions are also acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls