GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,840 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
645 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: NetrunnerDB Cease and desist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Deadhorse [+] [View All]
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. I'm very sad to report that I received a C&D email from FFG, asking me nicely, but under the threat of legal action, to immediately shut down my website http://netrunnerdb.com .

To be honest I'm surprised by that move. Their recent decision to watermark the images on CardGameDB worried me, but I never thought netrunnerdb would pose any threat to their activity/income. I think fan sites bolster the public's interest for a game.

Anyway. I have no legal expertise whatsoever, but I know some of you are far more knowledgeable than me. Is there anything I can change in netrunnerdb to dodge the legal hammer? What is legally protected? Does the fact that I'm French and the webserver is located in the Netherlands have any importance?

(I will put up an option to download all your decks at once so that my users don't lose all their saved decks and can import them into other deckbuilders.)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This saddens me greatly. Netrunnerdb was my site of choice for deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alsciende, this is very sad news. I cannot understand how FFG can be so - sorry - stupid.
with zero costs for them, your site greatly enhances the product we've all spent so much money on! i think we players should take some kind of action. ideas, anybody? count me in.

what comes next? shutting down ono-sendai, octgn and little chiba?! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no´s!

I hope you´ll find any positive solution for both sides. This will also influence the great iPad Deck Builder, which is my favorite one... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We all have to Return to Netrunner, the true Netrunner .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really wish you the best of luck. Netrunnerdb is my favorite A:NR site and I hope they will not shut you down.

It is a pity since I think these sites promote the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible news, your site was certainly the best deck-builder for the game, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad to hear this! soblue

NetrunnerDB is BY FAR the best Netrunner deckbuilder!

Can´t you create some kind of online petition or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know who we would write to if we wanted to ask FFG to change its mind? I think it might be important to let them know that we want to keep the fan-made support for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
California
flag msg tools
This is very saddening. I use nrdb.com every day... might even write a letter to ffg over this. Really poor choice, not sure what their problem is.... =\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just removed seven Netrunner expansions from my CSI order. I was going to get caught up on the small expansions, but now I'll wait and see if this move is indicative of them trying to shutdown the wonderful fan community that has grown around the game. It also makes me reconsider my decision to get into X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Malette
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah if we are able to start any sort of action on this I would be willing to support it and I think a lot of my local play group would also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An online petition would be a very good idea. Something along the lines of "We would like Fantasy Flight Games to reconsider its decision to undertake legal action against http://netrunnerdb.com."

But I'm not the most literary of men, and English is not my native language. I'm sure one of you would be better suited to write a touching and engaging text ^^. I could then invite visitors of netrunnerdb to sign the petition.

Also, it's worth noting that the young site http://jinteki.net also received a C&D. Although, jinteki.net was offering online play, so it's a different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is very bad news. That site was easily the best Netrunner site for cards/decks. I am really waiting how FFG will make up for this loss and surprised this was worth of the big bad publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also enjoyed your website and am sad/concerned that FFG has decided to take this form of action.

However, it begs the question as to whether or not any website that offers deck-building services is immune to the potential legal wrath of the FFG general counsel. My guess is no, as I doubt that any of us have a legal instrument of understanding with FFG. Will Ono-Sendai and Meteor be getting a C&D request as well? It's hard to parse out the company's strategy; letting the fan base grow versus keeping its IP well-regulated.

As an aside, I used to be a avid fan and consumer of Games Workshop products. Over the years, GW become increasingly aggressive and hostile towards websites, forums and its own consumers; ultimately adopting a seemingly perverse principle that its products were simply too good for me. After the PR fiasco over Beasts of War (a great website like Netrunner DB that was instructed to not even mention GW products in their reviews), I stopped playing 40k.

I thought it a positive sign that when FFG approached and "bought out" CardGameDB, it was making a move towards the digitalization of the game and prepping itself for creating a more user-friendly experience than OCTGN. Now, I'm not so sure.

I will still play ANR; it IS a great game. And FFG will have to perform some pretty Draconian measures before I get irritated enough to sell my collection on eBay.

But I feel like the clock is ticking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG expects us to use cardgame db, then they have to make it better than netrunnerdb, meteor, and all the rest.

Also, if they're going to C&D all the web-based deckbuilders, we'll just have to make a regular old desktop app that people can download from PirateBay and run on their PCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain Dancause
Canada
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Why are they asking you that ? This is stupid to shutdown your website. Netrunnerdb is the place where most Netrunner players get together to discuss and share around the world... This will go against themshelves in the long run. Maybe we can start a petition, what do you think guys??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
I'd support a petition. Also i'll write a letter to ffg expressing my disapproval as a customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they have to take legal actions to defend their IP, or maybe WotC is forcing them in this case, no idea?

But instead of these C&D they could have used the money from their attorneys to write some guidelines the sites could follow so that they all stay in line and con offer their great service. And waiting 6 month to show card pics can not be the solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Alsciende, I´m sure that touching and engaging is not enough. FFG has legal rights they use to protect their intellectual property, so it is important to explicitly clarify what they´re talking. I guess, in the end, they may use legal assistance as per Games Workshop´s approach the last years nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear this. I hope they reconsider, since CardGameDB is leagues behind many of the alternatives.

NetrunnerDB is top-notch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. WTF, FFG?

Did meteor get a similar letter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
But instead of these C&D they could have used the money from their attorneys to write some guidelines the sites could follow so that they all stay in line and con offer their great service. And waiting 6 month to show card pics can not be the solution.

This is the way to go. Draw the line, say what you allow and what you don't and let the people who are fans of your game help it expand, while protecting your IP. No one was making money on top of FFG with these sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they do this with all online deckbuilders, I will straight up quit playing. I haven't the patience or the space or the time to deckbuild manually, and I don't want to support a company's game when it acts like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a lead-up to FFG 'acquiring' cardgamedb. I recall reading suggestions to the effect in the past.

I didn't think they were quite on the size or sales level to begin acting like Games Workshop in terms of their approach to fans and customers.

It has lowered my opinion of the company, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.