Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first preview, I explained that there was two ways in which a card can be played, and I covered the first of these. The other way to play a card is onto the main game board, and doing so triggers any of the 6 core actions in the game.

Recruit Official
Assign Officials
Hire Workers
Install Governor
Build Palace
Construct Wall

Before I go into detail, I’m just going to explain something which is very important because it catches people out all the time.

Any card played may trigger any of the actions.

It’s as simple as that. No matter what the colour or number of the card you play, you may choose to do any of the 6 actions.
The number is important for something else, which I will cover later on.

I’ll explain each of the 6 actions in the order in which you are likely to do them in the game.

Each player starts with a supply of 5 red cubes, 5 grey cubes, and 5 white cubes. These represent officials of three different types.

When you choose this action, you may recruit an official of your choice into a region of your choice. Place the official onto your player board into the top section.

These officials are used for various things, which will become clear soon.

Choosing this action gives you 3 movement points to assign your officials to different areas . Notice the arrows between the regions of the player board. These indicate that you can move an official in that direction for 1 movement point. The moves may be split amongst your officials, or all used on one.

Of special note is the arrow down, because within a region, officials can be in one of two locations. In the top section, they are government workers, and in the bottom part they are soldiers. Assigning an official from the top part to the bottom part costs no movement and it can be done at any time, not just when you select the movement action.

Once you have officials in the bottom part of a region you may hire workers there. For each official (Maximum of 2), you may hire 1 worker, which is placed into that region.
The local population however, do not take kindly to being dragged away from home to work for the new Emperor, and so when you hire workers, the level of unrest in that region increases by 1.

You cannot perform an action if it would give you more unrest than there is space for on your track.

The cost to choose this action is one official of each colour which have to be present in the top section of the region you want to install the governor. A governor does three things.
1. It removes all unrest in that region
2. If there is still an available governor bonus space available on the board, you get that bonus.
3. Governors score at the end of the game if you have the majority of them in a region.

To build a palace in a region, you need to use 2 workers from that region, and 1 worker from a different region. Place the palace on the main game board and immediately score points equal to the number of cards you have played on your own player board (total number of cards, across all regions)

Unlike Governors, there is no end of game scoring for Palaces, you just get the points at the time you build them.
However, building a palace does get you one of the available large octagons in a colour of your choice. These count as 3 of the smaller octagons, and will be explained more later.

To construct a section of the great wall also requires workers. There are six different sections of wall to be built, each of which has a scoring tile associated with it. These tiles are double-sided, and you use a random mix in each game.

Walls score points at the end of the game based on how well you meet the criteria shown on the tile. There are three parts to each section, and you may choose to build any of them that has not yet been built. Building part 1 of a section requires 1 worker. Part 2 is worth more points but costs 2 workers, and they must be from different regions. Part 3 is worth even more points, but costs 3 workers, which again, all have to be from different regions.

That’s enough for now.

In Part 3, I’ll be covering why the number on the card is important, and what all those icons on the top of the cards do. Oh, and those pesky rebels will be explained too.

EDIT: Part 3 is here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Hire workers. How did the gray official get there? Some action which was not shown?

4. Install governor. So each player can have more than one governor per region? That sounds kinda odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
3. Hire workers. How did the gray official get there? Some action which was not shown?

4. Install governor. So each player can have more than one governor per region? That sounds kinda odd.

The images are not intended to follow on. However, now that I go back and look at them, it looks like they do. Just assume something else happened between those two actions, like the grey official moved in there from another region

And yeah, each player can have more than one governor. I'll let the designers answer that thematically, as it wasn't something I thought about. Maybe the first governor retired? (but you still get the VP for him)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Yes you can have several governors in each region. These regions represents the old kingdoms that were united into the new empire and each of these kingdoms is big enough that several regional parts need a governor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A picture is worth more than a thousand words..." (Chinese proverb)
"Your videos are worth more than a thousand (p)reviews..." (My opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:

Video should be done in approx. 2 weeks time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Sun Of A Beach wrote:

I was preparing to ask you about it. I knew you was making one. Eager to watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

That's my Paul!!! Thanks a lot! I can't wait - I already know it: I'm gonna love this game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Video is not quite done. In the meantime....

Part 3 is here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.