Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Round 1

The game begins with George Washington in the presidency and John Adams as his vice president, the first controlled by Luca G. and the second by Alessandro. Washington is at the same time the leader of the Conservatives.
Washington and Adams must first tackle a hot topic, a subject of ridicule and source of easy jokes: women demanding the right to vote (Suffrage for Women, difficulty 5). Washington delegates this one to the Vice President, who now seeks the support of the other players who will vote in Congress. Adams succeeds in proposing the motion to Congress by spending a point of political influence and the vote passes, mainly thanks to my support, in exchange for which I got the promise – never fulfilled (!) – to have the office of Secretary of the Treasury assigned to my Alexander Hamilton. Perhaps Alessandro is dazzled by the political charisma of Hamilton, who with his bride Dolley Todd, his popularity begins to grow ... the beginning of a great rise!

Following the issue of the suffragettes shake, slaves in Virginia rebel (Virginia Slave Revolt, difficulty 3). Explaining that we must deal with this “emergency” immediately, Washington declares that the Treasury appointment can wait (sigh!). He appoints to the position of General, Andrew Jackson, controlled by Gino. He soothes the revolt without much difficulty (only spending a point of political influence), but obtains no popularity, apart from the appointment to the office. Let's say that the appointment of Jackson to the position of General is a political move to weaken the political potential of his main rival, Thomas Jefferson, the leader of the Liberals, who is also controlled by Gino. Failing this issue would have meant, in fact, the loss of 2 popularity points for Jackson, and the public would have gone to the Conservatives by three points (to his chagrin, Gino controls only Liberal senators yuk).

What follows is another hot potato: Quasi-War with France (difficulty 5). Going to war would earn 2 points of popularity, but also substantially increase the national debt. Choosing the path of negotiation would bring no advantage in popularity, but public opinion would deploy with the president's party (Conservatives) by a good two more points! Washington decides to negotiate and chooses as his Special Envoy, John Quincy Adams (ability 4), controlled by Mauro. Adams spends just one point of influence and the treaty is delivered to Congress, which passes it by a unanimous vote. Everyone is aware of the emergency ... The public debt increases a little, only $10 million.

The Washington administration closes its first term with the Bill of Rights (difficulty 3). The president himself proposes the new law to a vote of Congress. There are at stake as many as 3 points of popularity and the risk that the Conservatives lose as many points of public support. Luca G. is therefore unable to build a broad coalition with Alessandro and Mauro. The latter takes the position of Secretary of State, in the person of Aaron Burr, who thus receives no fewer than 2 points of popularity for this prestigious position whistle. The vote in Congress is therefore favorable and Washington cashes in his popularity.

After the Treasury phase, during which the public debt rises to some extent (which the Washington presidency took no tax or tariff measures to stem), we go immediately to the election campaign. The two presidential candidates are Washington and Jefferson for the Conservatives and the Liberals, respectively. Their respective running mates are John Adams and Aaron Burr. I'm staying out of the race, as my Hamilton is still politically immature.

At the end of the election campaign Alessandro plays two action cards that overturn the election results. Maryland and North Carolina split their votes, giving the preference to John Adams. Adams is elected president to the surprise of all players. His vice president is Aaron Burr, from the other party. The old George Washington retires to private life.

During the People phase Albert Gallatin and Rufus King appear on the political scene, Adams and Burr make public speeches gaining popularity. Franklin and Jefferson try the same, but without success. The Conservatives are beginning to influence the newspapers.

Round 2

The newly elected President Adams must now face the first emergency: the British are attacking American merchant ships (British Attacks on Shipping, difficulty 5). Alessandro hesitates, not knowing whether to go to war (two gain in popularity with 2 points of public opinion towards the Liberals plus increased public debt and a 2 points of influence to Adams, leader of the Conservatives), or for negotiation (popularity -2 and 2 points of public opinion towards the Liberals, but 4 influence points to Adams). Indecision takes over, and eventually he delegates the entire matter to Vice President Burr. Mauro takes the situation in hand, convincing me to take the load of honors and responsibilities that come with Secretary of War, which is granted to my Hamilton. And like a fool I go to war, but bring home two points of popularity!

Next are two Issues to which the Congress gives the middle finger: France Seeks Aid and the entry of Tennessee to the Union. The new President has created the political vacuum because of his inability to deal with the first problem and the fortunes of the presidency are headed downhill.

At this point the President receives a request of aid from France (Napoleon Seeks Help, difficulty 5 if honored, 4 if refused). Honoring the request would cost a boatload of public money and give advantages to the Liberals in public opinion in exchange for a single point of popularity. Rejecting it would cost less and gain considerably more popularity. In either case, the issue requires a Special Envoy. Alessandro assigns the position to John Quincy Adams, controlled by Mauro. Thus the axis between these two players strengthens. The two Adams therefore each rake in popularity gains of three points and throw under the bus poor Bonaparte, who, to cope with the war in Europe, is forced to sell Louisiana to the United States.

As public debt begins to worry about the players around the table, we open the topic of taxes, but the discussion ends early in a stalemate. All are eager to start the election campaign. Alessandro places his John Adams for the Conservatives and chooses as a running mate, my Hamilton, making a big mistake. Not discouraged, the Liberals once again deploy Jefferson and Burr.

Again the close elections is decided thanks to a card; Pennsylvania divides its vote, siding with my Hamilton, who becomes the third president of the United States by a single vote! (hooray!) Jefferson is elected vice president.

Completing the turn is a round of public discourse during the disastrous People phase. The only Statesman who manages to gain any popularity is Charles C. Pinkney, who recently joined the coalition of Luca G. The Liberals begin their campaign financing of newspapers. Also in the Luca G. faction, Franklin marries Abigail Smith (adding +1 ability to old Benjamin).

Round 3

Hamilton begins his term of office surrounded the skepticism from all, perhaps still unhappy about the last administration. The first proposal is the admission of Kentucky to the Union, inspiring the distribution of offices to buy up votes. As a consequence the vote easily passes Congress.

The second Issue is pretty difficult: it involves no less than solving the problem of slavery (End Slavery, difficulty 7). To do so would increase the public debt by $200 million! surprise without providing any gain in popularity. A rapid exchange of glances between the players, and a few words ... all together now ... it's a no to freeing the slaves. devil

So far so smooth, but now a row to hoe. The Sedition Act (difficulty 4) inflames public opinion. The attempt to inhibit the press from criticizing the government is actually seen as a clear violation of the First Amendment. In short, I am up the creek without a paddle. In the meantime old Benjamin Franklin and George Clinton, old and battered, leave us, having gone to a better life.

Solving the Sedition Act would give 3 points of influence to the leader of the Liberals (Burr, now that he has become more popular than Jefferson) and 4 points of public opinion in favor of the Conservatives, who would thus achieve a kind of “moral” dictatorship. The motion, however, could then be cancelled by the Chief Justice, Albert Gallatin, controlled by Alessandro, if in the meantime someone were to play the Theory of Judicial Review card. In short, the road is uphill all the way!

Hamilton proposes the motion to Congress. As voting begins it quickly becomes clear there is a falling out between Burr and Andrew Jackson, controlled by Gino. Tempers did not subside.

In the end of Aaron Burr challenges Jackson to a duel; the latter does not hold back. The duel takes place in the early hours of the morning, not far from Congress. The two point their guns and fire, the shot is fatal, both dying on the spot!

Voting continues in the next few hours, as if nothing had changed. The vote passes and I rub my hands together. I have success in my pocket. That's when Gino plays the Theory of Judicial Review card and Alessandro, who controls the chief justice, immediately rejects the new. In the end I must settle for a point of influence to Hamilton. angry

The last Issue of my first term is war with the Indians (Northwest Indian War, difficulty 4). Immediately I race around looking for a possible General to address the emergency. The only one available is my Thomas Pinckney (ability 1), but he can do nothing to address the situation. As a consequence both Pinckney and Hamilton lose 2 points of popularity, the latter even going negative with a nice black cube – tsk tsk!

Things continue to go wrong at Treasury. I too have "forgotten", in fact, to propose taxes. The national debt really starts to worry public opinion. Eventually Hamilton loses another point of popularity.

Nevertheless Hamilton wins re-election; this time it is almost a plebiscite from south to north. The vice president is Albert Gallatin (who must give up the office of chief justice), controlled by Alessandro.

In the People phase there are various public speeches, this time all successful. Hamilton, Marshall and Jefferson gain in popularity. The Liberals are beginning to take advantage of the support of the newspapers; the Conservatives have now lost the support of the public.

Round 4

My Hamilton opens his second term by proposing the Land Act of 1804 (difficulty 3). Treasury is assigned to Elbridge Gerry, the bi-partisan Statesman controlled by Gino. Via a winning combination of card play and influence spending – Coalition Building and vote buying (1 point of influence = 3 votes), the vote passes Congress. Gerry and Hamilton each cash in three popularity points, plus 1 point of influence goes to Hamilton, who is beginning to accumulate a nice pile. Behind this facade, however, lies the deception. The law is revealed, in fact, just a ploy to enrich speculators, rather than a distribution of land to the settlers. The public sides with the Liberals for two points.

At this point, I take advantage of the popular discontent to accuse Gerry of "betrayal" by playing the Expose a Spy in the Cabinet card against the poor man, who is thus forced to resign. The new Secretary of the Treasury, John Marshall, is controlled by Alessandro. Marshall must now solve a new Issue: Create National Bank (difficulty 4). Alessandro has little influence and asks me for help. I meet his demand, giving him enough, but he makes yet another U-turn, takes the money and gives me the middle finger. Moral of the story: no central bank, tsk!

This is followed by two more Issues, both resolved by the new Secretary of the Treasury: Assume State Debts (difficulty 1) and Pay Off War Bonds (difficulty 4). This time both are resolved successfully, giving Marshall a total gain of just one point of popularity, but a significant increase in public debt. Hamilton meanwhile has accumulated an impressive nu of influence .. cool

But it is too late because you go early in the election, and after his second term Hamilton is forced to retire to private life, however rich like no other! The Treasury phase reserves the right to deliver to the president one last slap in the face and he loses another point of popularity for the growth of the debt, now almost out of control. This time, however, it is not his fault, but Alessandro's, as he categorically refused to propose any tax or customs tariff to replenish the state coffers ... shake

We then resolve the last election before the end of the game. The favorites are the Liberals, in particular the candidate Mauro, but one wrong move of his ally (Gino), means that Marshall (Alessandro) takes a surprise win in the election.

The match ends as follows:

Alessandro wins with 17 VP
I follow with 14 VP
Mauro with 11 VP
Luca G. 8 VP
In the back is Gino 7 VP

The match lasted about three hours. We completed the first scenario. The other players are going to play again as the gaming experience was fun and quite addictive, more or less. There followed a long discussion about the game mechanics and themes, with large digressions on the current policy, which lasted late into night. Ultimately, then, this is a game that provides "food for discussion", always a great sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As a consequence both Pinckney and Hamilton lose 2 points of popularity, the latter even going negative with a nice black cube – tsk tsk!

I thought black cubes were only given out for increasing the Tension level and that you could not reduce a statesman's popularity other than by removing white cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
Quote:
As a consequence both Pinckney and Hamilton lose 2 points of popularity, the latter even going negative with a nice black cube – tsk tsk!

I thought black cubes were only given out for increasing the Tension level and that you could not reduce a statesman's popularity other than by removing white cubes.
Au contraire. The normal use is that each black cube represents a negative Popularity point. A Statesman's Popularity could even go negative, though folks usually manage to avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.