Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
There may ba thread that discusses this but couldn't find it.

So, what are the differences between the 2nd and 3rd editions? I am assuming cosmetic. GMT vs. AH....does it play the same?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clausen
Denmark
København Ø
Perplexed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem - from the game description :

Quote:
Successors was first published in 1995 by Avalon Hill. Some years later a second edition rulebook was published that gave more options for the Tyche cards. Successors III builds on the foundation of the Successors II rules set plus expansion cards that appeared in the Boardgamer. Minor refinements have been made to make the game easier to play and increase enjoyment. The map is very similar to the original with some minor changes around Macedonia. Counters have the same excellent artwork for the generals and new GMT artwork for the combat units and control markers. The Tyche cards have received the most changes—nearly every card has had some minor modifications and a few new cards have been added.

In addition to the changes, the rules have been cleaned up and improved. Years of questions and answers on Consimworld have been used to clarify the rules. The rules also include hints on strategy from a number a long-time Successors players, and an extended example of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes from 1st/2nd Edition Cards
Changes from 1st/2nd Edition Counters
Changes from 1st/2nd Edition Play Aid Card
Changes from 1st/2nd Edition Map

the above applies for 2nd to 3rd also..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so there are cosmetic differences.

But does the 2nd edition play the same as the 3rd edition?

I know they added cards and cleaned up the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the quote above. They changed nearly every card. And the movement rules make hauling the body much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played both 2nd and 3rd editions, and in practice the differences are essentially unnoticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that on this GMT Successors 3 map http://www.gmtgames.com/success3/SUCCESSORS_MAP-3.jpg
Scythians and Illyrians have strength of 7. Is that official change as well?

I'm pretty sure that I have 3rd edition, but my Scythians/Illyrians counters are weaker.

Funeral in Pella is 8 L on the map instead of 10 L as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.