Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with Historicon, in late July, GMT Games has been handing out an intriguing booklet containing five new scenarios for use with the original CCA set. They still have some of these and will be handing them out while they last at other cons this year, and you might be able to get a hard copy if you happen to be ordering something from GMT any time soon.

I've read that, when the CCA reprint is released, GMT will do a "living rules," which will be good news to folks who want to see how it works. They also said that they will post the scenarios as free downloads at the same time.

I've probably heard mention about "the new scenarios" in 4 or 5 different places, followed immediately by folks asking "where/how can I get them?", without even knowing the content. Having been lucky enough to lay hands on a set, here is an "out of the box" review of what is there. Mind you, I haven't set any of these up or played them yet, but I think there is still some useful information here (which will likely only make you want them even more.)

First, the historical situation-- the five scenarios are all linked to what is sometimes called the "Truceless War." We don’t see a lot of First Punic War battles for CCA or any other game, for the simple reason that there were not many full-fledged, set-piece type battles in that conflict. Lots of sieges and skirmishes but the dominant action was naval, with Rome being the surprising winner in that department and the war. (“Surprising” because Rome scarcely had a navy to begin with and managed to build and lose several hundred warships and still win in the end.)

Carthage did most of its overseas fighting at this period with mercenaries, and there was a highly successful mercenary force on Sicily when the war ended. The Romans gave them “passage home” to get them out of the way, planting a dangerous seed in the heart of Carthage. Indeed, having these people “unemployed” in Carthage would likely have been unpleasant. With extensive back-pay lacking, the mercenaries elected to collect their pay the old-fashioned way—earn it-- and served as a core for Carthage’s disaffected “allies” to revolt. Four years of warfare followed, with more battles than the First Punic War and some particularly nasty cases of unpleasantness to prisoners (hence the name "Truceless) Five of those battles are depicted in this scenario booklet.

What’s so interesting here? First off, there are the new experiences of fighting battles using the Fortified Camp, Ramparts, and WAR MACHINES— things we had little or no experiences with in the first 13 scenarios. (The Roman chariots come out to play as well, something else we have not used before.) You will use the Roman blocks for the “rebels,” and the Roman War Machine blocks are sublet out to the Carthaginians as they attack a rebel camp. The scenario includes simple special rules for use, as these units (in this scenario anyway) are more like the field artillery of the day, versus wall beaters.

While we did have Fortified Camps in one original scenario (Baecula), here the counters are combined with Ramparts to make a serious defensive position, right in the middle of the board in one scenario and an enclosed defensive position on the edge in another. Assaulting these will be a very different experience from what we have been playing, so brush up on their terrain rules use and get ready to learn new combined arms tactics. You will need both.

And refresh yourself on the elephant rules and discussions—ALL 5 of the scenarios include elephants, although they are exclusively on the Carthaginian side (so that elephant versus elephant combat we’ve wondered about will still have to wait.)

The scenario size varies widely, from one in which each side has only ten units and one leader, another with 11 on 9, to the biggie, with 15 units on each side. The mix and style of the two sides varies widely as well, with several situations that see solid mercenary infantry opposed primarily by elephants, cavalry, and “good generalship,” (more cards in the hand). Whether these are “enough” will be what you’ll fight to discover.

Oh-- names. Right.
There are two different battles at Utica-- one 241, the other 240 BC. Hippacritae, 240BC, "Hannibal's Camp" in 238 BC. (No, it's not THAT Hannibal), and Leptis, 238 BC.

The timing is certainly good. With many of us chomping at the bit for CCA Expansion and fretting over the component delay, here are five new scenarios, with units and terrain you’ve never used before, to bring new excitement to gaming sessions while waiting for the Greeks and Eastern Kingdoms. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, this is awesome. Thank you so much. If I was more established here with geekgold to spare, I'd tip you. You definitely deserve it!

Thanks for the writeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

many thanks for keeping us informed about what's going on on the CSW side, and for all the details about the new scenarios!

BTW, I've already asked if they can add these to my Exp#1 preorder...

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question-- I asked it myself.

One problem with that is that they have fewer printed scenario booklets than they have pre-orders for the Expansion.

Another problem is that these were created to be Con give-aways and they still have at least one more Con they want to use them at.

If you are ordering something from GMT-- and I don't mean a pre-order-- you might ask them about including one in your box. This might be a good time to get that extra deck you've been thinking about (isn't the old one worn out yet? No new deck with the expansion, you know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.