Popular Tags: Wargames [+] C&C [+] Memoir’44 [+] [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A GUIDE TO THE COMMANDS & COLORS GAMES OF RICHARD BORG

I own and play all of the Commands & Colors system games by Richard Borg. Since I started out as a wargamer but now play simpler, prettier, and more exciting games, these fit the bill for me. There are currently eight of these games, all with different developmental histories, levels of complexity, and subjects, although based on the same basic design features. These include card play for miniatures or blocks of units on three different board sectors (Right Flank, Center, Left Flank), with multiple scenarios and expansions, although in one case these are unofficial and fan based. So if you learn to play one of them, you are well on your way to learning them all. Their very different fates have less to do with their relative design success than to the different publishers to whom Mr. Borg sold them, and the various levels of support these publishers have given to them.

All of these games are pretty easy to learn and play compared to the old standard hex and chit wargames, and are more comparable to other "light wargames" or even Euro/Ameritrash designs. An "Advanced" Borg game is still only of moderate complexity compared to other designs. In this short descriptive guide, I will speak in general introductory terms. For more specifics, see the individual game entries for them on bardgamegeek, the forums and FAQs on their publishers' sites, and the fan sites dedicated to them.

Ranked by relative complexity they are:

EASY

Battle Cry (American Civil War) No official expansions; updated by Battle Cry 150
Memoir 44 (World War II) 22 Expansions

MODERATE

Battle Lore (Medieval/Fantasy) 15 Expansions, all out of print
Samurai Battles (Medieval Japan) 1 Expansion
Tricorne: American Revolution (18th Century) 1 Expansion
The Great War (World War I) 3 large and 2 small expansions

ADVANCED

Commands and Colors Ancients (Ancient Greece, Alexander's Conquests, and The Roman Empire) 6 Expansions
Commands and Colors Napoleonics (The Napoleonic Wars) 6 Expansions

NEWLYPUBLISHED/UNCLASSIFIED

Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare (Science Fiction) 6 Expansions
Commands & Colors Medieval (Byzantium & Sassanid Persia)

Here are their stories:

EASY

BATTLE CRY (American Civil War; Hasbro)
Fan site: https://www.commandsandcolors.net/battlecry/

This is the simplest of them all, put out by the large game conglomerate which is only happy selling if selling huge numbers of units to every family in the nation, and holds onto designs they own forever, even if they do nothing with them. After the original game, a Battle Cry 150th Edition was published which is superior in every respect and includes many more scenarios. Unfortunately, this game was strangled at birth due to lack of support. However, the fan site has recently doubled the number of scenarios available, some of which are new ones by Mr. Borg himself. I own both editions, so I can play my own "Epic" two board larger game-my rules are on board game geek (bgg), and others are on the fansite in the Epic Scenarios, using rules from later Borg designs.

MEMOIR 44 (World War II; Days of Wonder)
Publisher site for scenarios:
Fan site: www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/scenarioapp/

Although the basic game is hardly more complex than Battle Cry, the support this small company has given the game has seen a dozen expansions, which raise the level of the advanced game in several different formats, including 'Overlord' (Epic Multiplayer Team Games for 3-4 players in two teams), Breakthrough (a deeper game board with more opportunity to move units not fully activated for two players) and now the "Extended Breakthrough" format of the new M44 D-Day Landings which allow teams made up of separate pairs of opponents on very large maps indeed (up to six maps with 2-12 players). Expansions for the original format have included the Eastern, Mediterranean, and Pacific theaters, the Battle of the Bulge, and an Equipment Pack of extended three dimensional models of more specialized units and equipment as well as others. Days of Wonder has just been purchased by the European company Asmodee; it remains to be seen whether this will accelerate the rather slow production of this game's expansions. The game just celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2014, along with the 70th anniversary of the actual D-Day Landings which were their original subject. While some are cynical about what any takeover bodes for the fate of the purchased design, Asmodee has been Days of Wonder's distributor of their games in Europe, and is familiar with the game, which is often sold in both English and French editions.

In addition, two hard cover Memoir 44 Campaign Books have been published, which offer a series of standard format scenarios played with campaign rules that allow the result of one battle to impact on the next. Each book offers several different campaigns. There is also a 500 page Strategy Guide which will be published soon.

MODERATE

BATTLE LORE (Fantasy/Medieval; Fantasy Flight Games)
Old Fansite now defunct

This wonderful and imaginative game was originally published by the small company Days of Wonder, who supported it with many expansions. In an unusual move, it was then sold to Fantasy Flight. FFG came out with a few more expansions. They then produced a Second Edition which was incompatible with the first, and cut off its development, including many more modules which Richard Borg had planned for it, such as other fantasy races. However, it plays quite well, although harder to find now. The Second Edition has gained popularity, but is a very different game.

One of the factors in the demise of the original edition may have been the publication of FFG's Battles of Westeros, (and its House Baratheon expansion) marked as "A Battle Lore Game," which remains controversial to this day, since it was in fact by a different designer and used somewhat different rules. As a media tie in with A Game of Thrones, when this design was published, expansions to (First Edition) Battle Lore ceased, and have never been continued. Battle Lore 2nd Edition, now also out of print, was not a C&C game, and not by Richard Borg as far as I know, although he might have had a hand in it.

SAMURAI BATTLES (Samurai Japan; GMT/Zvesda) Fan site:
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/samuraibattles

This most recent entry has perhaps the most exciting second deck of cards so far of all published Borg designs. Somewhat similar to the magical second deck of 'Lore' cards in Battle Lore, in both their rules and effects, the 'Dragon Deck' may include wild results both historical and semi-mythological, although explicable in mundane terms.

However, its unpainted delicate hard plastic miniatures require the careful assembly (and possibly intricate painting) that is beyond the ambitions of many board games. For this reason, and the fact that the Russian Zvesda was a miniatures company, it is far less well known. Recently Konstantin Krevenko, the original head of that company, passed away. Zvesda has said it plans to continue supporting the game, but so far their future activities since Mr. Krevenko's demise remains to be seen.

Mr. Krivenko was also the author of the 'Art of Tactic' system of the game (used also in the company's WWII sister design), which gives two separate ways to play the game with essentially the same game equipment. Thus you get two games for the price of one. This aspect was continued in its first expansion 'Ninja Attack,' which also saw again separate scenarios for each game system. Not knowing the future of this game, I again bought two copies of the base game, and made up my own rules for Epic size versions--again available on bgg.

(Update 8/22/18) GMT has just announced that SB has been placed on their P500 list for Pre-ordering! Their version will have blocks instead of minis, and include new units, scenarios, terrain types, and etc. The Krivenko version will not be included.

(Update 1/223/19) Now due in 2019, about twice as many battles will be included, and those which duplicate the original battles will feature more units, as the box package will no longer include the other version.

ADVANCED

COMMANDS AND COLORS ANCIENTS (Ancient Greece, The Conquests of Alexander the Great, and the Roman Empire; GMT) Fan Site:

For those who like more moderate level games, this was until recently the best supported and most popular game, being surpassed only now by the more recently available Napoleonics game. It is actually only more complicated in portraying more different unit types, due to the length and more varied nationalities of the Ancient Period it covers. Its large number of expansions cover such topics besides those noted above as The Carthaginian War, The Roman Civil War, The Celts, the later preByzantine Era, and etc. GMT used blocks rather than the simple miniatures of other designs, but they use colorful stickers that accurately depict the many different types of units portrayed, with light, heavy and medium infantry and cavalry, elephants and camels, war machines, chariots, and so forth. There is also a well developed Epic style expansion with many scenarios and a new card deck.

[b]COMMANDS AND COLORS NAPOLEONICS (The Napoleonic Wars; GMT) Fan site:
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics
This design, rumored to be actually the first one developed, is now coming into its own, with the different expansions representing the major nations that fought in those wars. Future expansions will include La Grand Bataille (Epic Multiplayer Battles), a Generals and Marshals leadership module (rumored to be a second card deck). An unprecedented Epic 2 is expected to be announced in 2019. Fans are also hoping for Minor Napoleonic Allies and The War of 1812, but no such announcements have been made. This is the only game in history to have three expansions placed on GMT's P500 List at the same time for possible publication. All three were fully subscribed almost immediately!

Besides fielding a similar large variety of units, CCN resembles CCA in having different national armies portrayed, in this case with actual different rules for each--as well as somewhat different units. A totally new aspect is that units lose fighting ability as they take successive losses. The original game presented French and British armies, with later expansions adding the Spanish, Russians, Austrians, and (currently expected in two months) the Prussians.

The Prussians were released, and now Expansion #5 Generals, Marshals, and Tacticians is out, which adds a second tactical card deck. The two board further addition Napoleonics Epic is now out, with an even larger "Grand Battles" format.

[b]NEWLY PUBLISHED AND UNCLASSIFIED

RED ALERT: SPACE FLEET WARFARE (Science Fiction)

This is a tactical game, with space ship models for two identical sides (although with different models for each by fan request) roughly corresponding to real world naval classes of ships. Terrain will include planets, space debris, meteors, asteroids, teleporting space rifts, and space gun platforms. The rules are available on the Kickstarter (PSC) site. A second card deck and special rules for Red Alerts (critical hits)indicate that this game will spring forth well developed in the Moderate to Advanced difficulty level as was The Great War and Tricorne before it. Anticipated Expansions: Two alien factions will have their own fleets with differently operated ships. Mr. Borg also has a 'Planetfall' land module waiting in the wings (Space Marines?)

The Kickstarter has now been funded, and the game is due out in March 2019. For my comparison between it and other C&C games see here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2006268/red-alert-early...

C&C MEDIEVAL

I just got my brand new game, and played my first scenario. Published as are most others by GMT, this is chronologically a continuation of C&C Ancients, but with different rules to reflect the new dominance of heavy armored cavalry and other changes in warfare. It is like Samurai Battles in allowing units to ignore a Flag from lighter class units. The Core Game is about the Byzantines, rather than the more well later known Medieval themes. They are up against the Sassanid Persians, Huns, and Vandals. New Inspired Action Tokens give players many options without the use of a second card deck. The rules conveniently highlight the differences between it and C&C Ancients, but it plays quite differently!

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

Richard Borg is a very friendly man, who continues to run events for and create new scenarios of his games at conventions. His prolific and dedicated band of supporters constantly create new scenarios themselves. If you are trying to choose which game to buy, you can start with Battle Cry, play it with your kids, and not have to buy any expansions (sadly). Otherwise, you will probably have preferences based on the periods you prefer. Although, all things being equal, it might be wiser to make a purchase based on the track record level of support by its publisher!

UPDATE AUGUST 17, 2015

Since two new C&C Games are appearing, I'm putting some information out about them, even though I don't own them yet.

THE GREAT WAR (World War One; PSC Games)

Just becoming available in the US, this game has been rated very highly by reviewers so far. The British miniatures company is putting out hard plastic minis in 15mm that have given some players difficulty getting them off their sprues, which apparently can be done successfully with a sprue cutter and an exacto knife. The game has two card decks, which bring it up to the latest in Borg sophistication right away, and focuses on the midwar trench action between the British and the Germans. Offboard artillery barrages can vary the terrain as the game begins and continues. Ironically World War One, possibly the worst war ever for its combat participants, is lots of fun to game out. Expansions will include other nations, fronts, and weapons such as tanks, gas, and airplanes.

TRICORN: THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (Compass Games, announced for March 2017)

It has been announced that this game will have miniatures comparable to BC150 and M44, and reproduce the linear warfare of the 18th Century. It could eventually cover the Seven Years War as well.

(Update 7/1/18) The game is great, with unique rules including morale. The first expansion, The French Army and More, is due out Dec. 2018.

RED ALERT: SPACE FLEET COMBAT

Now up on Kickstarter from PSC is Red Alert, a space fleet combat game.
Currently scheduled for publication March 2019, this is the tenth announced C&C design.

UPDATE DECEMBER 2016

C&C EPIC NAPOLEONICS (Expansion Six) should be shipping Dec. 7-10.

TRICORN AMERICAN REVOLUTION will have an expansion including the French Army and the Battle of Brandywine (among others).

MEMOIR 44 will have a brand new series of 'Battle Packs.' The first is Battles of Khalkin Gol. The old format is being expanded. Besides two Overlord format preprinted paper maps and a few 3D vehicles, it will also include six Regular format games and two Breakthrough games.

C&C MEDIEVAL is the new series following up on C&C Ancients chronoligically. It is currently available for preorder on the GMT P500 List. The new set will cover Belisarius and the Byzantines.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2017

MEMOIR 44'S Khalkin-Gol was great.

I should have my TRICORNE in a week! So far players rate it very highly. A French Army expansion for it will also include heavier artillery and more scenarios.

There will be a Kickstarter for another French Army expansion, this for THE GREAT WAR.

C&C MEDIEVAL is now due in Early 2018.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2017
Here's an update on the current roster of all nine C&C Games and the periods they cover. A list of the expansions available for each game appears under the title when you pull it up on bgg. Note that Richard Borg has designed many games that are not in the C&C series as well.

C&C Ancients
C&C Medieval (due 2018)
Battle Lore
(Fantasy/Medieval, out of print; BL 2nd Edition is not a C&C Game or by Richard Borg)
Samurai Battles (out of print; to be redone by GMT)
C&C Tricorne: American Revolution
C&C Napoleonics

Battle Cry 150 (American Civil War)
The Great War (WWI)
Memoir 44 (WWII)

PLAYER FACTION DIFFERENTIATION IN COMMANDS & COLORS GAMES
By Chas

In each C&C design, there is a different way the player factions are varied, if any. These factions are listed below. The games are noted by time period, more or less. A "Core Faction" is an undifferentiated faction, varied only by the particular forces available in its scenarios, and its unique units, if any. A "Variant Faction" is one that has special rules that apply to it alone.

C&C ANCIENTS
Core Factions: (All) Various Greek City States, Macedonian Greeks, Successor Greeks, Persians, Indians, Various Romans by period, Carthaginians, Various 'Barbarians' (Celts, Germans, Slaves, etc.)

BATTLE LORE (Original First Edition)
Core Faction: Humans
Variant Factions: Goblins, Dwarves

SAMURAI BATTLES
Core Factions: Samurai Clans

C&C TRICORNE: AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Core Factions: British, Continentals (varied by unique faction Combat Card deck)

C&C NAPOLEONICS
Core Factions: None.
Variant Factions: (All) French, British, Spanish, Russians, Austrians, Prussians

BATTLE CRY/BATTLE CRY 150
Core Factions: Union, Confederate

THE GREAT WAR
Core Factions: British, Germans

MEMOIR 44
Core Factions: Americans, Germans
Variant Allied Factions: Russians, British, French, French Resistance, US Marines
Variant Axis Factions: Japanese, Italians

Updated C&C Official Fansite Addresses

Alessandro Crespi, the moderator of the current C&C Official Fansite, has asked me to update its address and those of its major sections, where you can find out lots of information about several of the C&C games including rules clarifications, discussions, new scenarios, and more. These are:

https://www.commandsandcolors.net/
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/battlecry
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/thegreatwar

UPDATE NOV. 10, 2018

RECENTLY ISSUED AND UPCOMING C&C GAMES
(All future publication dates are tentative)

Tricorne: American Revolution: The French Army and More (Exp.#1) out

The Great War: French Army (Expansion #2) Now becoming available

Memoir 44 Flight Plan (Revised Air Pack rules) (Days of Wonder) ?

C&C Medieval (GMT) March-July 2019

Red Alert: Space Fleet Combat (PSC) Kickstarter issues March 2019

Samurai Battles (GMT Redo with Blocks) 2019

In addition, GMT just announced that "a new C&C Expansion" would be coming out in the next few months!

(Edit) I just discovered confirmation from GMT that it will a second Napoleonics Epic set!

For some of my own personal observations on all of the C&C designs, see my new 'Game Journal' entries for each, beginning on Page 8 of this thread.

UPDATE JANUARY 23, 2019:

COMMANDS & COLORS SERIES GAME FORMAT OPTIONS

C&C ANCIENTS
2 Player, Epic

BATTLE LORE
2 Player, Epic

C&C MEDIEVAL
(2 Player; 2019)

SAMURAI BATTLES
2 Player, Fan Epic (Mine, Mark McGilchrist)

C&C TRICORNE: AMERICAN REVOLUTION
2 Player

C&C NAPOLEONICS
2 Player, Epic

BATTLE CRY 150
2 Player, Fan Epic (Mine, Alt. Combat Cards)

THE GREAT WAR
2 Player

MEMOIR 44
2 Player, 2 Player Breakthrough, Overlord, D-Day Landings

RED ALERT: SPACE FLEET WARFARE
(2 Player, Multiplayer Teams; 2019)

*GENERAL GMT COMMANDS AND COLORS UPDATE* March, 2019

This from yesterday's GMT Monthly Update; their first ever general C&C announcement!

"Next up for P500 (3 months or so) will be the Le Grand Battles expansion for C&C Napoleonics. It will have the two mounted Le Grand Battles maps, two quickstart cardboard maps with units and terrain printed on both sides for Waterloo and another major battle (tba). Also a small number of blocks for minor French and Allied contingents will be included.

Late this year look for the first of the Seven Years War game series. Many of the premier battles were large affairs, so we will start large with two mounted maps to accommodate those battles.

The wheels have not come off the chariots. Next year will see the introduction of an Early Ancients expansion to C&C Ancients.

Assuming the reception for the initial Medieval game is good, stand by for further expansions there as well."

They also note that they will be replacing their stickered dice with more a permanent type. These may become available separately for the other GMT games. (For further discussion see thread Page 11 below).

(UPDATE AUGUST 2019)

ON THE FAR HORIZON...OR NOT

There are now 10 C&C designs!

goo the June GMT monthly update has come and gone, with one bit of C&C news, after all the recent activity. Otherwise nothing yet on:

C&C Napoleonics Grand Battles (Expansion #7) *Added to P500!*
Samurai Battles Core Game Redo (On P500 List)
Early Ancients With Chariots (Expansion #7)
C&C Medieval (Expansion #1 TBA)

Or the Non GMT designs:

C&C Tricorne: American Revolution (Expansion #2)
The Great War: The American Army (Expansion #3)
[or #5 if you count small tank expansions]
Red Alert: The Orthorians (Escalation #7)
Memoir 44: (New Flight Plan just issued with Bonus Scenario Book online)

And still no expansions expected for:

Battle Cry 150
BattleLore First Edition

(Addendum)

Commands & Colors Tricorne: Jacobite Rising (Compass Games)

Now available for Preorder. This offers 13 scenarios on the Scottish Rebellion against Georgian England of 1745 ("Bonnie Prince Charlie"). There is now a page for it here on BGG. Initial play tester comments have been very favorable. Although in the Tricorne Series, it is a stand alone game.

Seven Years War (GMT; yet untitled)

Where Tricorne may eventually expand to the French and Indian War, its much larger European battles of that conflict will be handled by the larger publisher GMT. Speculation is on a scale of C&C Napoleonics; with possible a Core Game with the Prussians of Frederick the Great and the Austrians, and expansions to follow with different national armies of the European Great Powers of the era.

For more on the newer titles, see later posts in this thread.
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary and overview. Mr. Borg's game system has provided more hours of fun for me than any other game or series of games. It is simply delightful in all iterations. I am very thankful to him and was pleased to be able to express that to him personally at this year's WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Thompsonville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of fun playing these Borg games with Jon Snow. I especially love BattleLore, which is the one Borg game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I agree with everything except:

chas59 wrote:
After the original game, a Battle Cry 150th Edition was published which is superior in every respect and includes many more scenarios.

I prefered the art of the original cards and board. The wood-cut art felt more historical than the comic bookish art of the new cards. I also liked the overall look of the original board better, although I will concede that the lack of border on the sides is more conducive than the original for multiboard scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hilton Ruiz - Heroes
badge
Tishomingo Blues - Elmore Leonard
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work, Jon. I'm sure this will prove helpful to those who are interested in the system and don't know where to start. I still think the best course is to start with the one covering the subject matter that interests you most, but for those who don't have a strong preference this should prove invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me want to get a C&C game and play right now!

Seriously, you mention the salient point Samurai Battles. While I am not a huge fan of the Japanese medieval period, it is interesting enough, when combined with the new flavor of C&C game, to intrigue. However, I know I do not have the patience to assemble, much less paint, all those models (sticker-ing is bad enough, and even then my wife does the majority of it for me).

I almost feel as if I have to save the money not only for the game, but also to send the soldiers off to have them assembled and painted, before I can buy Samurai Battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good review...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone knows if Mr. Borg is planing something more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:

I don't know if he is planning something more for any of the time periods (Ancients - WWII) but I know he has developed a lot more than what has been published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:

More WAS planned, and is more or less ready for publication . . . but only Mr. Borg knows (if anyone does) whether that will actually happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McHugh
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, what about Abaddon?

Abaddon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abaddon is not really a C&C game, but a simplified design for younger gamers. Since I don't own it, I'll refrain from commenting, although I've looked at videos and reviews, and I think I've played it once. I also don't know if it will be supported for expansions, since I've seen it in the discount bins lately.

(Edit): Richard Borg has designed many non C&C games as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very interesting summary, Jon.

I'm intrigued by the thought that Napoleonics could have been the first game designed because I started playing Battle Cry in 2004 but would have killed for a Napoleonic version of the game. I only stumbled on Napoleonics in 2013 by accident and since buying the base game and available expansions (Spanish and Russian at the time)then moved onto Ancients and Memoir while waiting for the Austrians and Prussians.

Apart from BattleLore and Samurai I have bought everything available for the other four systems. Although the simpler system I think it a shame that Battle Cry has not been developed further, particularly when you see the fantastic developments made in Memoir over the past 10 years.

I must give Richard Borg and his team 20 out of 10 for the enjoyment their games have given me and I very much look forward to seeing what else will be developed to augment the Napoleonics system.
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle C
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary, thanks!

I was unaware of the fan site for Battle Cry. It gives me even more incentive to get this to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
clockworks204 wrote:
Great summary, thanks!

I was unaware of the fan site for Battle Cry. It gives me even more incentive to get this to the table.
It really is a must have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:

I'm intrigued by the thought that Napoleonics could have been the first game designed because I started playing Battle Cry in 2004 but would have killed for a Napoleonic version of the game. I only stumbled on Napoleonics in 2013 by accident and since buying the base game and available expansions (Spanish and Russian at the time)then moved onto Ancients and Memoir while waiting for the Austrians and Prussians.

Apart from BattleLore and Samurai I have bought everything available for the other four systems. Although the simpler system I think it a shame that Battle Cry has not been developed further, particularly when you see the fantastic developments made in Memoir over the past 10 years.

I spent a lot of time talking to Richard when he came to LA a couple years ago. Napoleonics is his first passion... I am fairly certain it was also the first game he developed in the series but was not refined enough for his liking... thus Battle Cry was the first C&C game to test the waters.

Every game in the C&C series has more content to support multiple expansions (in addition to what s already on the market).

Because of contractual agreements the publishers have the final say about what goes into the games and also control the reprint schedules.

I am most sad about the state of Samurai Battles... I hope it gets revived at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...same for expansions with BC150 whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
David Groves wrote:

I spent a lot of time talking to Richard when he came to LA a couple years ago. Napoleonics is his first passion... I am fairly certain it was also the first game he developed in the series but was not refined enough for his liking... thus Battle Cry was the first C&C game to test the waters.

Every game in the C&C series has more content to support multiple expansions (in addition to what s already on the market).

Because of contractual agreements the publishers have the final say about what goes into the games and also control the reprint schedules.

I am most sad about the state of Samurai Battles... I hope it gets revived at some point.

Hi Steven

Even more interesting because if Napoleonics had been the first up in 2000 it might not have been so good as it turned out to be and that would have been a great shame.

The important thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was the sheer delight I experienced from opening the base game box and finding all of those different unit types for every arm. At that time I would have been happy with Line infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and perhaps one elite unit for each side (don't forget I hadn't seen how Ancients had been developed at this point since I went straight from BC to CCN). But, to find Grenadiers, Young and Old Guard on the French side in addition to line and light (not to mention militia) and Rifles, Grenadiers and Guards Grenadiers on the British plus all of the cavalry types and even artillery types was truly amazing.

At first I could not understand the shift from those lovely. quality Battle Cry figures but when I saw the number of unit types covered by the game I quickly understood; and besides, I've grown to love the blocks too and I'm a lot faster at stickering these days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy the stickering, as an old miniatures gamer whose army assembling and painting is part of the fun. Sticking blocks can be a relaxed, meditative experience where you get to know your new army(s) from the ground up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
I actually enjoy the stickering, as an old miniatures gamer whose army assembling and painting is part of the fun. Sticking blocks can be a relaxed, meditative experience where you get to know your new army(s) from the ground up...

I have to say, you're weird.

Though, admittedly, my wife also says she find "stickering" relaxing . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

Hi Jon

You do have a point about getting to know the army. When stickering, and because I have the box contents around me, I will break for a rest during stickering, say, a batch 36 line inf blocks, or 20 LC blocks and have a read of the rule book army unit mechanics. So by the time I've finished I do have a pretty good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each unit, size, moral, battle and movement etc before starting play.

Mind you, I would be quite happy for my wife to do it like Tex's

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's a new one... http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173105/great-war
WWI ala C&C...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great War by PSC, a British miniatures company, appears to have many interesting features. I note that the minis, which will have different poses, are much smaller than those for Memoir 44 at 15mm, but don't have to be assembled (as in Samurai Battles). Besides basic infantry you will get MGs, mortars, grenade throwers, and artillery and HQ markers. It is the first C&C game to be Kickstarted, and is now open for investment.

The initial game will be about mainline Western Front trench scenarios, with later expansions for the more open warfare of 1914 and 1918, planes, tanks, cavalry, etc. British and Germans are to be supplemented eventually by French, Americans, and Russians. A second card deck of "Combat Cards" has the same name as those for Memoir 44's Urban or Winter second decks. Twenty scenarios are noted.

The game is due out in July 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

SAMURAI BATTLES (Samurai Japan; Zvezda)

Recently Konstantin Krevenko, the original head of that company, passed away. Zvezda has said it plans to continue supporting the game, but so far their future activities since Mr. Krevenko's demise remains to be seen.

unfortunately Samurai Battles has been discontinued. All future releases have been cancelled from both the website and catalogue 2015 of Zvezda. Zvezda has confirmed that there are no plans for new releases at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
The Great War by PSC, a British miniatures company, appears to have many interesting features. I note that the minis, which will have different poses, are much smaller than those for Memoir 44 at 15mm, but don't have to be assembled (as in Samurai Battles). Besides basic infantry you will get MGs, mortars, grenade throwers, and artillery and HQ markers. It is the first C&C game to be Kickstarted, and is now open for investment.

The initial game will be about mainline Western Front trench scenarios, with later expansions for the more open warfare of 1914 and 1918, planes, tanks, cavalry, etc. British and Germans are to be supplemented eventually by French, Americans, and Russians. A second card deck of "Combat Cards" has the same name as those for Memoir 44's Urban or Winter second decks. Twenty scenarios are noted.

The game is due out in July 2015.

Looks very interesting, I am a backer

I do wonder what complexity rank this game wil fit in. I guess "easy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |