Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of my entire collection no other game is more underrated then Marvel Heroes.

I haven't played it in years, but because my son is older and is really into super heroes I decided to pull it out, and give it a go again. I remember thinking it was 'OK' but not fantastic.

After going through the rules, FAQ, and these boards, I think I finally got the rules down properly. And WHOA...were we playing this wrong all those years ago.

After reading through some threads one comment struck me. "This game has no strategy". Well 6 years ago I probably would have agreed. But not now.

Choice, it all comes down to choice. There are a lot of decisions to be made. The Story cards alone are a game in of itself.

Even just deciding to leave a hero on the board, move him to another district, or bring him home for the plot point can be huge. 'Wasting' an action to heal a hero so you can get the plot point is another

Deciding on hero combinations to make a headline easier. A headline that another team could beat you to. So many decisions.

The people that say there is no strategy clearly aren't playing properly, and are giving this game a bad rap. To be fair I didn't see the strategy in it years ago either.

I actually don't think my 9 year old would enjoy this game anymore. There are so many choices, he wouldn't truly understand what was going on.

Another comment I saw is that this game is better with 2 players. I disagree. With 4 players, your choices become more important. Especially with which headlines you pick, and when to adjust the story track. It makes the game more cut throat which is what our group loves. In a 4 player game I am more likely to place one of my heroes in a support spot to "block" another team from placing their support person there.

With the popularity of Super Hero movies this game could easily be rated 8+. It just needs a reprint with more heroes more villains.

More choices for the Arch Villains. More power ups for villains and heroes.

If you own this game give it another try. If you still don't like it sell it to me. I'll buy more copies of it.

Maybe I should create a new Kickstarter Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like the game too and think it's a shame expansions were never released. The rules were a bit of a mess though. It took a number of tries to iron everything out. I downloaded a few cheat sheets that really help. Especially if you haven't played for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This is a truly wonderful game.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should've submitted this under "Reviews", because it is. Thumbed and tipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another agreement from me. Great game. One of my favorites for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for MH!!! Played twice in a row recently with my group of hard gamers and everyone liked it!!! Plus wonderful miniatures and cards... the map could be better maybe... Thumb up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
TK

It is a sad day indeed when I agree with the likes of Tim Kelly. But he is right, it is truly a wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwculp wrote:
tkelly wrote:
TK

It is a sad day indeed when I agree with the likes of Tim Kelly. But he is right, it is truly a wonderful game.
Sad because you've finally gotten something right, and that's an unusual feeling for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
dwculp wrote:
tkelly wrote:
TK

Sad because you've finally gotten something right, and that's an unusual feeling for you?

Dead of Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:
After going through the rules, FAQ, and these boards, I think I finally got the rules down properly. And WHOA...were we playing this wrong all those years ago.

So I own the game but haven't gotten round to playing it.

Having read so many "complaints" about it on BGG, I wasn't very eager to get into "learning" the rules.

As a Marvel fan, and someone who enjoys complex strategy games I decided to hold on to it.

What would you recommend to download and read in addition to the rule book in order to get it right the first time round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is awesome but there isn't really much complexity to it or to the rules. I have done very well with the rulebook. But, if you insist, read the rules summary by Universal Head in the files section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Ronaldo.