Subject: Cataclysm or Triumph & Tragedy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4x fan
Some upcoming games on WW2 with a focus on economics and political ideals as well as military options. Anyone familiar enough with both able to comment and contrast the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Pax Baltica fan - RussiaMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - SaxonyMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - DenmarkMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - PolandMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - Sweden
I plan on owning both.

Here’s a short list of differences as far as I can tell (I haven’t had the pleasure of playing Craig’s game, though I’ve preordered it.)

• Cataclysm starts in 1933 and can run to 1950 if no other endgame condition is reached (T&T is listed as “1935-1945″)
• Cataclysm includes the Pacific/Asian theatre from India to Dutch Harbor, from Hawai’i to Xinjiang.
• The combat, economic, diplomatic, and sequencing systems seem completely different.
• Cataclysm does not use cards.
• Cataclysm does not include technological development of weapons systems (we assume it’s below the scale of the game).
• Cataclysm shows some political differences between the ideologies directly in the gameplay.

We wish Craig all the best with his project. I look forward to playing our game and his back-to-back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Napoleon's Triumph fan
I've been involved with helping Craig Besinque develop Triumph & Tragedy for roughly the last year or so. I remember looking into Cataclysm some time ago and being intrigued with what I saw but I haven't played their game so I can only comment from the perspective of T&T. Here's a brief list of T&T features. I can't say how they differ from Cataclysm.

• Rather than a “WW2 game,” TnT is a “Great Power rivalry game” set in the 1930’s and 40’s, focused on economic and diplomatic as well as military competition.
• In T&T there are three distinct routes to an early victory: Military (capturing 2 or more capitals), Atomic (develop the A-bomb) and economic (attain a dominating empire).
• T&T has a running time of roughly 4-5 hours, but that can shift a lot depending on the style of game played as well as if anyone achieves an early victory (fairly common).
• T&T does use cards (Action Deck and Investment Deck) but they aren't the Ops/Event style. Each card does have multiple uses though.
• T&T is a block war game.
• T&T is designed for high accessibility with a short rulebook, fast play time and easily understood mechanics.
• T&T is designed for 3-player but has had a 2-player rule set since before I came aboard and has been in constant testing.
• T&T has a really cool blockade system where through submarine warfare and other means you can try to economically strangle your foes.
• T&T features a true three sided affair. Allied cooperation is not assured and war between any of the three factions is very possible.
• If I had to describe T&T in one word it would be "Freedom". T&T is a sandbox style game where you, not Hitler, Stalin or Chamberlain are in charge of your respective faction. You can decide on the construction of your military, whether you want a strong navy or a dominating air force. You can decide your faction's commitment to gaining allies through diplomacy or your faction's emphasis on research and even espionage. You can decide to cooperate with your Rivals or to beat them bloody with your armies. The freedom of choice is yours.
• Triumph & Tragedy achieved P500 status some time ago and we are hopeful it will enter art development in the next few months.

Craig has written a nice article describing Triumph & Tragedy for the GMT Blog. I don't believe the piece has been released yet but I imagine it will be soon.

GMT Blog

If anyone has any questions regarding Triumph & Tragedy, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
Microbadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: Oingo Boingo fanMicrobadge: LIVE fanMicrobadge: Fields of despair fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
I have played several games of TnT and one brief intro to Cat. They are nothing alike. So different that I wouldn't know where to begin.

My advice is to P500 both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Profession - Business and managementMicrobadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Religious History buffMicrobadge: Naval Aviator
p38_Lightning wrote:
I have played several games of TnT and one brief intro to Cat. They are nothing alike. So different that I wouldn't know where to begin.

My advice is to P500 both!
Nevertheless a review of the two together might be most illuminating. I think there could be a symbiotic co-operative advantage in linking the two rather than being in competition. I could buy both should I see the individual merits of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Any of these games have additional scenarios or just one standard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: board game developer - I help designers make their games betterMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: "Red 5 standing by..."Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Mutt lover - We don't need no pedigree!
I can't answer for T&T as I'm not involved in the development/design of that game, but Cataclysm will have a main campaign (starting in 1933) and several smaller scenarios. The smaller scenarios will deal with either just Europe, just the Pacific or both.

-Kevin Bernatz
developer, Cataclysm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Pax Baltica fan - RussiaMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - SaxonyMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - DenmarkMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - PolandMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - Sweden
kbernatz wrote:
Cataclysm will have a main campaign (starting in 1933) and several smaller scenarios.
Specifically. this is what we are planning as of now...

Introductory Scenario
Crisis In The West ... 1937-40 ... 1 hour ... 2 players

One-Theatre Scenarios
The Eagle And The Sun ... 1941-46 ... 1 hour ... 2 players
The Great Patriotic War ... 1941-46 ... 1½ hours ... 2 players
Storm Over Europe ... 1941-46 ... 2-3 hours ... 2-4 players
Hitler’s War ... 1939-46 ... 3 hours ... 2-4 players

Global Scenarios
Prelude To War ... 1933-42 ... 3 hours ... 2-5 players
Closing The Ring ... 1943-46 ... 2-3 hours ... 2-5 players
The Hinge Of Fate ... 1941- ... 3-4 hours ... 2-5 players
The Gathering Storm ... 1939- ... 4 hours ... 2-5 players
Tragedy And Triumph ... 1933- ... 5-6 hours ... 2-5 players

Alternate History Scenarios
Pour La Patrie ... 1937-42 ... 1 hour ... 2 players
White Star, Red Star ... 1945-50 ... 2-3 hours ... 2-3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: board game developer - I help designers make their games betterMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2Microbadge: "Red 5 standing by..."Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Mutt lover - We don't need no pedigree!
Currently...

but I should add that Scott is 'jumping the gun', since I am not sure we will include all those scenarios in the finished product. Size of playbook and adequate testing will determine which scenarios 'make the cut'...the others will likely be made available post-publication.

-K (gotta keep these designers in check... :-> )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls