Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my copy of Merchants & Marauders, and am always on the lookout to pimp it out even more. When I found out about Campaign Coins, I knew I had to give them a shot. Perhaps I'm late on the boat about these guys, but they produce a wide range of real metal coins of various colors and styles to be used in all sorts of games: RPGs, board games, and anything in between. And their "King's Ransom" line looked particularly well suited for Merchants & Marauders:

dat booty

Spanish Treasure Fleet

They even offer a 2-piece coin, which makes it easy to do a 1-to-1 swap for every coin in the game. (They also offer denominations of 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000, and 10000.) Here are the front and backs of each coin that I got:

thematic home run

The coins look great and they feel great as well. Pros & Cons time!

Con
-The coins can be a little tricky to tell apart from each other at a glance.

Pro
-The coins can be a little tricky to tell apart from each other at a glance.

Huh!?
Normally this might be a small problem, but in this game, it actually helps to have similar looking coins in order to keep your opponents from knowing how much booty you've got on board.

Now, as an alternative, they also sell a line of "Island Siege" coins,
which are also suitably piratey. arrrh

These are definitely easy to tell apart, so you can decide if that's what you want or not. However, there's no 2-coin version in this set.
The other pirate-themed set of coins they sell are the Freeport series: (which I didn't pick up)

These don't have any denominations, so you could use them however you see fit.

Apparently they're also working on copper versions of some of the King's Ransom line, and they were kind enough to show me a few copper 1-pieces:

Copper version on the left

Once again, these look outstanding, and improve the visual disparity between the coins. However, I'm wondering if I'd still rather have the all-gold versions for the above-mentioned reason.

And finally, the 10,000-piece coin makes for a killer 1st Player Token, should you need one. arrrh

Until next time...
Tops! Gallants! Royals! I want every last scrap of duck on the wind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These actually do look awesome. If I got to play more M&M, I'd definitely pick up some custom coins as well.
That said, M&M has some of the finest looking coins already, so I'm more jealous of your paint jobs. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrison
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks Tom,

The game looks great! I must play it.

Cheers,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
CampaignCoins wrote:
Thanks Tom,

The game looks great! I must play it.

Cheers,
Mark

Sadly the 5 coins are out of stock. Also I don't think I can justify paying more for coins than for the game itself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Denny
msg tools
new user
If you don't mind me asking, how much did this all cost? Did you buy these individually or in like a pack? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.