David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are going to be visiting Chicago next weekend, and I was wondering if there's anyplace in the immediate vicinity that I should be sure to visit on the gaming front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend checking out Matthew Gray's Game Store Database at:

http://gamestoredb.com/

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/124362

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus in Mount Prospect. You can take a train out to it as its across from the train stop. See Chicagoland threads like http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118232

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is really the only decent store in the area, unfortunately.

There is a small chain of mall stores called "Gamer's Paradise" (Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Watertower Place and Century Centre in Chicago) that are... passable at best. The one in Schaumburg isn't bad, though you'll only find that basic Euros there.

There's a store in Niles that I've never been to, but I get the impression that it's mostly CCG and RPG stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you happen to be in town on Thursday night and don't mind a trip out to the West Burbs for a game, the Elgin Eagles will be happy to accomodate you, I think. I've only gone once (I need to get back, but I travel too much and am usually out of town), but they had a good 20 gamers and a load of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
Things to do while in Chicago for a weekend

1. Take a walk on the Lake Front
2. Visit Millenium Park
3. Tour Museum Campus
4. Visit the Art Institute.
5. Take a boat tour of the Loop on the Chicago River
6. Go to Wrigley Field or Sox Park
891. Stay in the hotel and watch cable news.
892. Go to Mt Prospect to shop for games.

Oh come on. I think it's higher than that if you like games.

And you only go on the boat tours in Chicago if you want to get splashed by fecal matter from rock bands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you mean next weekend is the 16th and 17th and you actually are geeky enough to want to play some games, there's a 2:00 p.m. Meetup in Evanston on Saturday, just off the Foster Purple Line station at Cafe Mud. Look here: http://boardgames.meetup.com/294/events/5086398/

If you meant this weekend, the 9th and 10th, there's a 2:00 p.m. Meetup at Guthrie's off the Addison Red Line station on Saturday. Look here: http://puertorico.meetup.com/11/events/5074334/

Both events feature any and all games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
Things to do while in Chicago for a weekend

2. Visit Millenium Park

ohh boy.. a big ... giant... metal...thing...wow.snore

Now touring the museum campus is a good call.

You could then go to Navy Pier which is tourist-y but nice.

Going to a game store is definitely better than a trip to "The Cell" (US Cellular Field where I belive they have a major league baseball team) but Wrigley field is a good call: they are so bad right now all there is to do is get drunk and have a good time mingling in the "world's largest outdoor bar". There are many cool clubs and restaurants in that area particularly to the south and east along Lincoln Avenue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another associated question: we're staying out at O'Hare, and plan on taking the El into downtown. What's the likely duration of the trip? My wife is concerned about making dinner reservations, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Line to downtown is 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's a bit slower than I expected, but not by too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
And depending what time you take the Blue Line, you might get to wave at the poor souls in their cars on the expressway as you pass them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I'd provide a bit of feedback now that I've actually been to Chicago. Go! the Game Store is definitely less than impressive; I visited two of them because they happened to be where I was going anyway, and I'd say that they were less than 5% "real" games, with no RPG component at all, and just barely a few better games like Carcasonne, Axis & Allies, etc. I still spent a few bucks there, partially because the first had free shipping, and the second because we realized late in the trip that my folks might like Blokus as their thank you gift for taking care of our birds.

On the other side of things, I visited one Gamers Paradise (at Water Tower Plaza), and I'd say it's closer to 20% "real" games, with another chunk devoted to "classic" games like chess, et al. They carried some RPGs (various shades of D&D, Shadowrun, and some White Wolf), and a wider variety of games, including many of the Rio Grande games, Nexus Ops, Killer Bunnies, etc. For someone from the game-drought region of Ann Arbor, it wasn't half bad, but a far cry from a true game store - no arguments there. On the other hand, they still have buy one, get one 50% off on board games going, which isn't bad if you're planning on buying in bulk.

Anyway, even with such slim pickings between the two chains, I spent over $200 on games. Sad, really...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls