Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb

Instructions

* Select the appropriate category from the buttons at the top of the page.
* Rank the games by clicking on the box and selecting the rank.
* Duplicate rankings are OK if you think the games are equivalent.
* Change a rank to N/A if you have no opinion on a game.
* 1 is Highest - 15 is Lowest

Your votes are recorded immediately and may be changed up until the time voting closes (11:59 PM CST - September 30, 2006).

The final voting will resolved using the Ranked Pairs method - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_pairs

Vote Now: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php?action=vote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to vote for Gamers' Game, but the rest wouldn't let me vote. The box where you choose your rating wasn't popping up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin' Developin'
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mb
There is some last minute tweaking going on for the voting code... it will be back shortly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Ok - I fixed that glitch - sorry... we tested this for hours... honestly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Why do "Kids Games" go to 16? Spinal Tap Voting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Why do "Kids Games" go to 16? Spinal Tap Voting?

There was a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it. What keep us ranking all the games we wish to see high on the nomination list a "1" and everything else a "15"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I rate two (or more) games the same rating in a category, do I rate the next one sequentially or skip a number? For example if I rate Caylus and Reef Encounters both as 1, do I rate the next game as 2, or 3, or does it matter since the Ranked Pairs method resolves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
The voting only looks at how YOU vote games relative to one another. That means if you vote one Caylus a 1 and Tempus 2, you are voting Caylus over tempus. IF you vote Caylus a 14 and Tempus a 15, you are still just voting Caylus over Tempus, as far as those two games are concerned. You are also voting everything else over Tempus too, in that case, assuming you rank everything else, but if the two top candidates are caylus and tempus, your vote counts between them just as much as someone who voted them 1 and 2. If you give everything you like a 1, and everything else a 15, you are saying that You vote all the games you like over all the games you don't, but have absolutely no opinion on which game wins between the 1's or between the 15's.

In other words, if you were to give all the games you like a 14, and all the games you don't a 15, it would be EXACTLY the same as voting the games you like a 1 and the ones you don't like a 15 (or a 2). All that matters is, for every pair of games, does A beat B, B beat A, or do you have no opinion.

In other other words, your ranking is really a shorthand for voting in something like 100 individual elections (in a consistent manner):
Caylus vs Tempus
Caylus vs Antike
Antike vs Tempus
Etc etc

If two games are given the same number (or if one of the two games was given an NA), you don't vote in the pairwise election between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
Walt Mulder wrote:
If I rate two (or more) games the same rating in a category, do I rate the next one sequentially or skip a number? For example if I rate Caylus and Reef Encounters both as 1, do I rate the next game as 2, or 3, or does it matter since the Ranked Pairs method resolves it.

It doesn't matter--the ranked pairs will resolve it properly either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In ranked pairs, The numbers have no meaning on themselves: ranking half of the games a 1 and the other half a 15 should be no different than ranking them as 1 and 2.

If you rank two games the same, when they are paired up, your vote won't affect the score.

The wiki is pretty clear on everything else, I think,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I could be wrong, but probably not. I AM a Steve.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmb
My idea had been to only rank the games I'd played and leave the rest as N/A. Then I saw a game I've played that I thought really didn't fit as a party game. There were a number of games that I recognized as party games even though I hadn't played them.

Which creates more of an impact:
1) Leaving that one and the ones I hadn't played as NA
2) Ranking that one as the lowest on the list and leaving the ones I hadn't played as NA
3) Rank that one 15, the others I hadn't played 14 and the rest as normal

Suggestions are welcome, including the suggestion that I'm overthinking things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
The category is light/party games. This means the both party games and light (not necessarily party) games are eligible.

But regardless, you shouldn't rank the games you haven't played. If you rank them 15, you are saying that you like all of the games above it more than them, and clearly you don't want to give that impression. But if you really want that one game not to win, you can rank it 15 (or below all the others). But you won't be expressing an opinion on that game versus the ones you didn't rank. There is no way to vote so that you put the one game below the ones you haven't played, while not expressing an opinion on those games otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
The category is light/party games. This means the both party games and light (not necessarily party) games are eligible.

But regardless, you shouldn't rank the games you haven't played. If you rank them 15, you are saying that you like all of the games above it more than them, and clearly you don't want to give that impression. But if you really want that one game not to win, you can rank it 15 (or below all the others). But you won't be expressing an opinion on that game versus the ones you didn't rank. There is no way to vote so that you put the one game below the ones you haven't played, while not expressing an opinion on those games otherwise.

Hold on. Are you saying that if I vote Wits & Wagers with a 1 and You Must Be an Idiot with a 2 and 13 others with N/A, that the other 13 games are NOT ranked behind W&W and YMBAI? I sure hope those N/A's count as being behind the games I voted to the top. Here's why.

Let's say that 1000 people vote for 14 of the 15 wargames and leave one entry out as N/A. Every single one of them does that. So, we have a ranked list of 14 games plus another game that has nary a vote. Not one. Then one fellow comes along and rates that unknown game with a 1 and everything else with a lower number. If those N/As didn't count as lower votes, then the game with one vote wins the entire shebang.

I sure hope those N/As count as, in essence, a vote of 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I don't like Pickomino, for example, I should give it an N/A or a 15?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

Yeah, but all of us who are in the know are whittling that list down to the only two party games and rating the other 13 very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Hold on. Are you saying that if I vote Wits & Wagers with a 1 and You Must Be an Idiot with a 2 and 13 others with N/A, that the other 13 games are NOT ranked behind W&W and YMBAI? I sure hope those N/A's count as being behind the games I voted to the top. Here's why.

N/A actually means you're not voting on those games. If you want to rank them lower than the games you like, you have to vote for them.

W&W at 1 and YMBAI at 2, and the others at N/A, means that you prefer W&W to YMBAI, and don't know anything about the other games.

If what you're trying to express is "W&W is better than all those other games, and YMBAI is better than everything except W&W, but I don't know much about the others so I won't vote between them", then you should vote
1 W&W
2 YMBAI
3 (Everything else)
or something equivalent.

N/A should definitely not count as 16, otherwise there is no option that lets you not express a preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
Randy Cox wrote:
Hold on. Are you saying that if I vote Wits & Wagers with a 1 and You Must Be an Idiot with a 2 and 13 others with N/A, that the other 13 games are NOT ranked behind W&W and YMBAI? I sure hope those N/A's count as being behind the games I voted to the top..

Yes, that is what I'm saying. If I haven't played a particular game, I'm going to let people who have decide whether it is better than the games I have played. If you don't want your votes counted in that way, you are welcome to give the games you haven't played a 15, which is the equivalent of "lower than all other votes." I expect that many people will do exactly that anyway.

There are pluses and minuses with both methods. As we have structured it, if you have played half of the games in a category, you can rank them as you like without having to feel bad about voting down games you have never played. While the situation you have described is possible, it is highly unlikely. If some unknown wins an Golden Geek with a very tiny number of votes, I guarantee you that the voting system will be changed next year. But we had the nomination process to weed out the unknowns, so I don't thing we have to worry about that. With your system, I and others who prefer lighter games could go into the wargame category, say, "Hey, I liked Nexus Ops better than Twilight Imperium," while inadvertently voting down 13 other excellent games we have never tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
Randy Cox wrote:
dakarp wrote:

Yeah, but all of us who are in the know are whittling that list down to the only two party games and rating the other 13 very low.

Which will have essentially the same effect as voting those two games 1 and 2, and ranking the others 3,4,5,6,7, etc. The absolute number of your vote doesn't matter, only its position relative to other games. There is no "very low" in Ranked pairs, only y is better or worse than x.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
Incidentally, another benefit of this system is that you don't have to worry about "throwing away your first pick vote" on an unlikely candidate. unless your top pick makes a come-from-behind victory, you won't be hurting your top "likely" pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Let's say that 1000 people vote for 14 of the 15 wargames and leave one entry out as N/A. Every single one of them does that. So, we have a ranked list of 14 games plus another game that has nary a vote. Not one. Then one fellow comes along and rates that unknown game with a 1 and everything else with a lower number. If those N/As didn't count as lower votes, then the game with one vote wins the entire shebang.

That sounds like a valid concern to me. I'm going to rate them all relative to each other just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well that's neat...

So as long as you've played 2 games in a category you can still vote without worrying about anything...

Very nice cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I am totally not affecting anything at all - I have only played three of the nominated games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mb
mrbass wrote:

That sounds like a valid concern to me. I'm going to rate them all relative to each other just in case.

The reason this is unlikely is that the nomination process ensures that complete "dark horse" candidates, for which most people will vote NA, are unlikely to make the list of nominees in the first place. Of course, the other reason this is unlikely is that at least some users will vote down games they haven't tried in order to increase the chances that their favorites will win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
mrbass wrote:

The reason this is unlikely is that the nomination process ensures that complete "dark horse" candidates, for which most people will vote NA, are unlikely to make the list of nominees in the first place. Of course, the other reason this is unlikely is that at least some users will vote down games they haven't tried in order to increase the chances that their favorites will win.

And thank goodness for those of us who will vote down unplayed games behind the games we know we like. I like Curried Vegetables and don't know if I like snails or not. But if someone were going to feed me based on the results of a ranked pairs vote, I'm gonna vote the veggies above the snails because I surely don't want to get stuck with the untried pig in a poke. I'll go with the known quantity.

And while the nomination process weeded out dark horses for the biggie categories (especially Gamer's Game), I bet that the number of nominations for the least nominated Kids game was significantly smaller than the one that had the most nominations. That dark horse (or something like Nacht der Magier) could take the prize even though hardly anyone owns or plays it (or has even seen it). This is where my concern comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.