Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!
This is the discussion thread for the November 2014 European Math Trade.

geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181531/november-2014-e...

List closes: Friday, November 14, 2014, 20:00 GMT
Deadline for submitting want lists: Friday, November 21, 2014, 20:00 GMT

chrome users please note: you will have to use an alternate browser. step 3 in olwlg yields an "aw snap" page after the latest chrome update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When our geeklist is up on the
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

try the automated way to transfer your items from previous trades into the current one:

After clicking on the icon, select a previous trade from the dropdown list and press submit. Then you can easily transfer the entries of your choice into the current trade by pressing the corresponding buttons. This will save you a lot of time.

or,
enoon wrote:
Actually you don't have to wait for it to be in the OLWLG to add items to the geeklist from your collection or any other MT - use this link:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/addmygames.cgi?listid=1815...

where listid=181531 is the id of the geeklist in question, it works for any MT geeklist if you add the right number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griff Glowen
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in UK and have never tried a European Math Trade because of the postage cost. I can others in the UK do though. What postal service do you use to make it viable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Royal Mail prices here: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_OurPrices_Ma... (Page 10).

Try 'parcel2go.com' for quotes for items over 2kg. They are not as bad as you'd think to major destinations. I've summarised the prices (E&OE) in the header of this geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181240/uk-europe-shipping-... . Ignore the items.

I try to offer free shipping wherever I can, where I can't then I'll quote the actual cost (or give the accurate packed weight if over 2kg so people can check themselves) and 'subsidise' that by a certain amount - minimum £5 normally. It's not the best way by far: free shipping is, but that's unrealistic for heavier items.

Shipping 'in bulk' makes a lot of sense: I sent a large package to Finland which ended up costing £2/game. I am happy to do the same for anyone - I can receive games here from anywhere in the UK, store them until ready and ship them onwards in bulk. I have plenty of time and space. People would have to trust me not to run away with their games (or play them!) but it saves a lot of shipping cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Tringali
Germany
Offenbach am Main
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Griff Glowen wrote:
I live in UK and have never tried a European Math Trade because of the postage cost. I can others in the UK do though. What postal service do you use to make it viable?

I have the same question to the german geeks: What postal service do you use? (I'd say "DHL Päckchen").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becienz wrote:
Griff Glowen wrote:

I have the same question to the german geeks: What postal service do you use? (I'd say "DHL Päckchen").

Yes.

DHL Päckchen international for games up to 2kg costs 8,90 € to DHL Zone 1 (EU). (17€ for 5kg). For a good overview, see this table: http://www.dhl.de/en/paket/preise/preise-international.html
(Might be worth bookmarking as it wasn't that easy to find (at least for me).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griff Glowen
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. If you are only paying the first £x how do you charge for the remainder? PayPal invoice? I have never tried doing that between different currencies. Does PayPal do it automatically for a fee?

P.s. When you ship in bulk how do you arrange to distribute the parcels the other side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello

New to trades.

What are these trades where they say Outside BGG (understand that) and then the trade is 10 euro or something like that.

Where do I pay 10 euro for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take some time and watch this video, it will answer many of your questions:

(In short: The money entries mean that the receiver of this item won't be sent a game but some money via Paypal or bank transfer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griff Glowen wrote:
Thanks. If you are only paying the first £x how do you charge for the remainder? PayPal invoice? I have never tried doing that between different currencies. Does PayPal do it automatically for a fee?
There are couple of ways of doing it. What I do is to ask the receiver just to send me £x by Paypal and ask them to cover the fees. I make it clear in the listing. You can do that (asking for the payment) through BGG Trade Manager (which is what you use to confirm and record the trade anyway).

You can send and receive in pretty-much any currency in Paypal (subject to their exchange rate profit, of course) and you can maintain a balance in any currency too. I typically keep balances (if I have any!) in £, $ and € rather than converting everything to £ as then I can spend the other currencies without having to go through another currency exchange.

This is an example of how I did it in the last trade:

Free UK Shipping. First £5 of European shipping paid. Additional shipping costs (and any Paypal/transfer fees) to be paid by receiver. The item itself weighs 860g, packed weight will be around 1.160 to 1.250kg.

The additional shipping costs will be between €5.63 and €7.44

Free shipping is better of course, but it can't always be afforded and it doesn't always help make a trade loop if it makes the offer 'too expensive'.

Quote:
P.s. When you ship in bulk how do you arrange to distribute the parcels the other side?
Well, the parcel I sent to Finland was all for one lucky gamer

What I have done in reverse is to receive a large package (some purchases for me, some MT items for me and MT items some for other people) and then just ship them on using a UK carrier. The person sending them will pay the UK costs by Paypal to me.

Everyone involved has to be a bit patient and sometimes it can take a while to assemble a big enough shipment to make it worthwhile, so everyone involved needs to understand what's going on, but tit does mean reasonable shipping costs for games that might be hard to find in the other country or cheap in one but expensive in another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

(In short: The money entries mean that the receiver of this item won't get sent a game but some money via Paypal or bank transfer.)

So the one who places that trade atem is in fact offering money for a game? Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:
smithlucas wrote:

(In short: The money entries mean that the receiver of this item won't get sent a game but some money via Paypal or bank transfer.)
So the one who places that trade atem is in fact offering money for a game? Right?

Exactly right. You treat it just like any other item being offered in the trade. Almost everyone makes cash offers in € (but just take care to check it's not £ or $)and make sure you can receive the money in the way it's offered (e.g. you have a Paypal account or you can receive € by bank transfer - which we cannot sensibly do in the UK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

Exactly right. You treat it just like any other item being offered in the trade. Almost everyone makes cash offers in € (but just take care to check it's not £ or $)and make sure you can receive the money in the way it's offered (e.g. you have a Paypal account or you can receive € by bank transfer - which we cannot sensibly do in the UK).

But how does the meneytrader knows what game he is trading his money for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:
enoon wrote:

He agrees to "pay" his money for any of the games which he selects out of all games offered in the Online Wishlist Generator (OLWLG). Please watch the vid above or read an introduction into Math Trades, this is the very fundamental stuff.

MTs aren't easy and we have all needed some time to figure out how everythings works, too. Once you get it though, it's a great system and not even that difficult to handle (because of the OLWLG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:

The same way a game-trader knows what games he might trade his game(s) for. As Lucas says - have a look at the video.

The important thing to realise about MTs is that (mostly) you never ship a game to the same person who sends to you what you are doing is participating in a 'pool' of trades which creates a chain (sometimes dozens of items long) where everyone gets something they want in exchange for sending something to someone else.

What you do (using the OLWLG which you have to sign-up to - it's easy) is -in effect - say "I am happy to receive any one of this list of games (from anyone offering them) in exchange for sending MyGame to anyone who wants it.

This is really important: when you do this you are saying that you are happy to send YourGame to anyone who wants it in exchange for any of the games you have 'ticked'. Any of them! You should assume you will always get a copy of Munchkin if you ticked it, so don't say you'll be happy to send Caverna to someone in exchange for it (unless you really hate caverna and love Munchkin, of course). As long as you are careful what you tick, you will never get a trade you are unhappy with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
maartend wrote:

The same way a game-trader knows what games he might trade his game(s) for. As Lucas says - have a look at the video.

The important thing to realise about MTs is that (mostly) you never ship a game to the same person who sends to you what you are doing is participating in a 'pool' of trades which creates a chain (sometimes dozens of items long) where everyone gets something they want in exchange for sending something to someone else.

What you do (using the OLWLG which you have to sign-up to - it's easy) is -in effect - say "I am happy to receive any one of this list of games (from anyone offering them) in exchange for sending MyGame to anyone who wants it.

This is really important: when you do this you are saying that you are happy to send YourGame to anyone who wants it in exchange for any of the games you have 'ticked'. Any of them! You should assume you will always get a copy of Munchkin if you ticked it, so don't say you'll be happy to send Caverna to someone in exchange for it (unless you really hate caverna and love Munchkin, of course). As long as you are careful what you tick, you will never get a trade you are unhappy with.

Thnx. I knew that I'm not trading one on one. And iff I had caverna I would trade it for Munchkin.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:
And iff I had caverna I would trade it for Munchkin.laugh
That would make you Trader of The Year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
DHL Päckchen international for games up to 2kg costs 8,90 € to DHL Zone 1 (EU).

That's what can make it a little difficult for us in the Uk to participate fully with free shipping: here's our costs from 1kg to 2kg:

Under 2kg by Royal Mail to anywhere in Europe*:
1kg 1.25kg 1.5kg 1.75kg 2kg
£8.05 £9.50 £10.95 £12.40 £13.85
€10.05 €11.85 €13.70 €15.50 €17.30

*Mind you, that covers Nuuk to Vladivostock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

[/q]
Thnx. I knew that I'm not trading one on one. And iff I had caverna I would trade it for Munchkin.laugh[/q]

If I had Munchkin I would trade it for Caverna.

It's just ticking boxes for on the OWLG tool for the geeklist item you would give away next to the ones you would swap it for.
I participated in the doomed October 2014 UK trade as my first trade, but actually, as complicated as it all seems it's pretty simple.

The only hardish bit is duplicate protection but people will happily walk you through that when you get there,

I'm not taking part because the postage costs and will wait for another UK trade to take place, but don't be put by what seems to be complicated.

Then, hey presto, you get a geekmail about 12 hours after it all closes telling you what you gave up and what you got back for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd say hello, and apologise if I screw anything up as this is my first maths trade... I've watched/read a bit but feel free to shout if there is something I do wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't do anything really wrong until you come to submit your wantlist vis the OLWLG - at that point you must be absolutely sure you're happy to do any of the trades you say you will. You do that by 'ticking boxes' so just make sure you've ticked the right ones

Looking at your 'wantlist' in summary view (the pink label button) is a good way to check. Ask some more when the geeklist is closed for submission if you need to - no-one minds answering questions.

Make sure you understand your shipping costs and have some decent packing material to hand - good luck!

Welcome to your first MT too I doubt it'll be your last - they are addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyk wrote:
Just thought I'd say hello, and apologise if I screw anything up as this is my first maths trade... I've watched/read a bit but feel free to shout if there is something I do wrong.

Hi Joe!
exactly as enoon said, when phase 2 starts, I will describe 2 methods to doublecheck you are happy with your wantlist so you don't get a result you didn't ask for. So, please make sure to use both methods to double check your wantlist in phase 2. Other than that you are going to be fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Dieren
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base the Bass wrote:
joeyk wrote:

Hi Joe!
exactly as enoon said, when phase 2 starts, I will describe 2 methods to doublecheck you are happy with your wantlist so you don't get a result you didn't ask for. So, please make sure to use both methods to double check your wantlist in phase 2. Other than that you are going to be fine!

In that same vein, I could hook you up with an imgur album where I explain the basics. Where to press what buttons etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resitance: Avalon used to be item # 243, but is now 242.
TransAmerica is still 131,
so I guess a game between
item # 131 and
item # 241 has been deleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
probably, yes.
please refrain from using numbers to track items.
deleting items now does not cause problems to the math trade process, it only causes a problem to the users who use numbers to track items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.