Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Eley
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why can't Board Game Arena get more of the games that BSW and BaJ have? I absolutely can't stand playing non-real time games. A game of Agricola lasting weeks sounds like hell to me. But the publishers of games like Dungeon Petz, Trajan, etc. clearly don't mind their games being played online, so why not let BGA use them? I know personally that I'd probably buy a bunch of these games if I could try them in real-time, but as they're available right now I have absolutely no interest.

I was going to ask why BSW and BaJ don't just have real-time games themselves but it seems unlikely that they'll introduce that feature, I reckon there aren't enough users to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you offering to develop them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was Board Game Arenas response when you asked them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sammmmmy195 wrote:
A game of Agricola lasting weeks sounds like hell to me.

Oddly, that's how every game of Agricola I've played has felt to me... like it took weeks, and it was hell. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW used to be real-time. I'm guessing they just didn't want to keep up with the development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games on BGA for a bit but couldn't stand their UI. And it rendered horribly on my smart phone where I did much of my gaming. Because of that I ultimately abandoned them and focused my energy on boiteajeux.net. Their UI and mobile compatibility is superior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda doubt that they'll get many mainstream games. As I understand it (I could be wrong) BGA asks permission but does not pay royalties. This means they won't pirate (some of those games you mentioned, I only seem to see on rogue sites) but if they won't pay royalties, many established brands aren't going to want to "give away the milk for free".

This puts them in a sweet-spot to get games that are right on the cusp of going really big though. They've got a few really good titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sourisdudesert Sourisdudesert
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

To answer directly to the first question: we are in fact quite happy with the collection of games that are now on BGA. There is a good mix of "mainstream games from established brands" like Through the Ages, Seasons, Race for the Galaxy and Stone Age, and some games that may be not as well known but still good.

And this is not a question of "royalties": much publishers prefer a community-based website where adaptations are realized by real boardgames addicts than a commercial website...

About the smartphone: we don't think this is a good idea to play boardgames like Tzolkin or Seasons in realtime from a smartphone, that's why the UI is not optimized. As we do support turn-based mode now, we may improve the UI for smartphones because it can be convenient if you have nothing else, but this is far from ideal...

... and by the way "+1" to the "if you want this game you can develop it" because this is exactly how Board Game Arena Studio works. See: http://studio.boardgamearena.com

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smart phone is my way to play as I get some pockets of time during commute but no time at home.

TTA works perfectly in iphone6, seasons too. and I play seasons realtime on my phone all the time.

I really hope you can work on the UI of toiken the maya calendar. as it is right now, half the board is blocked by the play log. so it's totally unplayable.

Could you guys please work on it? there really is a huge demand.

and there's no need to change layout, just make it such that the play log is not overlapping the board.

I hope you consider this request!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls