War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The enslavement of the free peoples :( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Goodwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So, today my brother and I decided to play a heated game of War of the ring. I always end up taking the free peoples whilst he NEVER lets go of the forces of Shadow. I don't think I have ever play shadow before

We are both fairly new to the game, so aren't experts of the games tactics.

So in turn 1 I departed Legolas from the fellowship in order to try and get the elves to war. Ben got isengard to war so I attempted to move rohan down the political ladder with as many dice as possible! Rohan is one away from being at war by the end of the turn. I also usually move troops from Minas Tirith to Osgiliath to reinforce it, as the river must be held! However to my surprise Ben started moving troops north through the black gate as a pose to turning west through Minas Morgul.

In turn two I play the card Eomer son of Eomund to muster troops in helms deep to defend against the looming threat of Isengard. I then start to move the fellowship towards Mordor following the route of high pass. I also manage to get the Elves to At war. However Ben makes an offensive move against my muster in helms deep by playing 'a new power is rising' to recruit a shed tonne of troops is Isengard! Whilst dealing with this Mordor and the Easterlings are quickly moving north towards Erebor! No! The dwarves musn't fall!

In turn three i attempt to fortify the woodland realm but fear it will not be enough, as Mordor is approaching closer and closer. At this point Ben puts the Easterlings to 'at war' and uses them to attack the iron hills! Simultaneously the woodland realm comes under siege! unfortunately the lonesome dwarf of the iron hills falls in his quest to defend the iron hills I also try to bolster Dol Amroth just in case of a corsair attack.

In turn four Ben plays the card Worm tongue meaning i cant get Rohan to war to muster more troops! I send Gimli on an urgent quest to Erebor. Ben now starts moving troops from Dunland into Moria. At this point i assume he is attempting an attack on Lorien. He also plays the card 'monsters roused' strengthening the northern edge of the map. Ben then sends troops forward to take Pelargir. Ben then starts the move towards Lorien. Dismay! Ben take Erebor without a single casualty! Gimli is now cut off, with Erebor taken and Woodland realms at siege. The following turn he uses the easterling at Erebor to take Dale and help with the siege of the Woodland realm.

Turn five begins and i send Gandalf to Lorien in order to defend against the coming darkness. Ben then uses the card corsairs of umbar to attack Dol Amroth with a huge force he has mustered. Luck turns my way however when i make 4 hits on the attackers on Dol Amroth. Isengard then attacks the fords of isen. I take a single casualty and am forced to retreat into Helms Deep. Ben then rolls 4 sixes and the woodland realm falls! Gimli perishes as he defends the realm.

Turn six I send Merry to Edoras to activate Rohan and muster troops to lift the siege off of Helms Deep. The Witch King then enters play north of lorien. The battle of lorien is about to begin. No casualties are taken at helms deep whilst one on either side is taken at Dol Amroth. Lorien also suffers zero casualties with the help of Gandalf.

Turn Seven i muster both at Gondor and Edoras. Ben then sends troops to Rivendell and begins a siege. Both Lorien and Dol Amroth defend well again! Helms deep falls

In turn eight i flank around Helms deep to the fords of isen forcing the isengard forces to confront me on open ground. However Ben reaches 10 victory points as he conquers rivendell! :'(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcinius Orca
England
flag msg tools
What was the Fellowship up to besides splitting up?
The Fellowship player cannot win by military means. The Ringbearer must get to Mordor. All the fighting done by the Fellowship player is to but time for the Ringbearer to get to Mordor. I feel that you spent too much time (dice) fighting and not enough moving the Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Goodwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Oh sorry, by the end of the game the fellowship had reached the dead marshes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcinius Orca1 wrote:

The Fellowship player cannot win by military means.

They can! My FP opponent once almost managed to, by launching an attack from multiple forces from the Dale region into the North. It came down to a single die roll in the end. Shadow won, but it was surprisingly close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls