Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eh. To me, this one badly misses its target. You want to skewer a gamer-archetype who fears and shies away from randomness, go back at the Abstract Gamer. To me, the *definitive* Eurogame is Settlers of Catan - a dice game. Just about every other Eurogame is full of randomness as well - mostly card-draw or tile-draw based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but how many eurogamers have proudly talked about how little luck there is in Puerto Rico and other similar games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Eh. To me, this one badly misses its target. You want to skewer a gamer-archetype who fears and shies away from randomness, go back at the Abstract Gamer. To me, the *definitive* Eurogame is Settlers of Catan - a dice game. Just about every other Eurogame is full of randomness as well - mostly card-draw or tile-draw based.

Shhh. It's a secret. We pretend not to like dice to distance ourselves from wargamers. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Quite the reverse, this is dead-on. While you might think Settlers is the definitive Eurogame, that isn't a very popular opinion with "the Gamerati" these days. Most eurogamers tend to shun games with random elements these days and dice are especially disliked. Most snobbier eurogamers absolutely turn up their noses at the few euro offerings in recent years that dare to use dice (like That's Life! or Rum and Pirates), dismissing them as fluffy.

I make all these comments knowing full well that I am one of this bunch. I'm a dyed-in-wool eurogamer and I haven't played Settlers in about eight years - and, yes, I shun dice but it's only because they don't like me...

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

i feel better now.........it means i am only partly a eurosnob. or it just means i can laugh at myself. hmmmmmmmm....well, it was funny and i did laugh and that is what is important.

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't get it. Who is this Eurogamer? And how can he play monopoly without dice?
Can we please make these cartoons less exclusive!!!

ROFL!!!
Oh man, that's better than the comic itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Most snobbier eurogamers absolutely turn up their noses at the few euro offerings in recent years that dare to use dice (like That's Life! or Rum and Pirates), dismissing them as fluffy.

Um, but they are fluffy! By no means does that mean they're bad, but neither game could be described as heavy.

Roma is probably a better example of a game that uses dice but still has a good deal of meat. And I can't think of too many gamers (snobbish or not) who complained about the dice-rolling in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Yea, I agree 110%. Eurogames are chock full of randomness. I'm afraid I don't get this one at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear...
{rant on}
Why can't people just do like with the cartoons in the newspaper. If its funny and cracks you up, laugh out loud. If its semifunny, chuckle. If you don't get it, raise an eyebrow and move on.
The man is trying to make a cartoon, and just face it. There is NO way he can rub everyone the right way. Its just a cartoon, and no matter which way you turn it, the cartoon reflects the artist's image of the world, and if he sees eurogamers like this, then thats how he sees it. Not funny? Too bad.
{rant off}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Done playin'... Logan... done playin'...
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Didn't know in America Eurogames published Catan. In The Netherlands it's 999 Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bradshaw
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh come on. This is funny. A pretty girl like that would NEVER befriend a game-er.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Evangelista
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

Yea, I agree 110%. Eurogames are chock full of randomness. I'm afraid I don't get this one at all.

Yes, I agree that Eurogames are just as random.

However, the cartoonist is pointing out a trend on the BGG, and that's a lot of self-proclaimed Eurogamers like to bash on the randomness of die rolling in other games.

It's those guys I see up on chairs.

Made me laugh - I understand the stereotype and the reason for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me? I have a nice big Crown Royal bag full of dice in ASL colors. Sometimes I'll take out a big handful and roll them just to . . . roll them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I went to the thread to post a comment along the lines of "Now here's one no one can claim he doesn't get it". Now, I changed my mind to a commentary of the sort "I'm not sure what's more fun: the original cartoon, or those who take seriously the irony in some of the answers".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this one becomes even more weird if we assume that the man is Arthur Dent, and the girl is his daughter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harding
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe it is quite funny.

(Although I play eurogames, I *love* dice - I have hundreds of them, all sizes. What can I say - I play RPGs...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stony wrote:
Oh dear...
{rant on}
Why can't people just do like with the cartoons in the newspaper. If its funny and cracks you up, laugh out loud. If its semifunny, chuckle. If you don't get it, raise an eyebrow and move on.
The man is trying to make a cartoon, and just face it. There is NO way he can rub everyone the right way. Its just a cartoon, and no matter which way you turn it, the cartoon reflects the artist's image of the world, and if he sees eurogamers like this, then thats how he sees it. Not funny? Too bad.
{rant off}

Relax, Steen.
People are just making fun because they have nothing better to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.