BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Stores in Manhattan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Landsberg
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I am going to visit Manhattan for a couple of weeks and would like to know where I could find a good board game store.

I know Compleat Strategist is a good one (although their site shows that they probably don't have a lot of the games I'd like to check out), but are there any others?

Also, I saw a place called The Uncommons, which seems to be a Board Game Cafe. Is it worth going to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The uncommons is good and everyone who works there is really nice and helpful, worth going too. It's fun to get to try games out there, a really great hangout and they host a lot of tournaments and events. They have significant stock in store for sale but not tons.

The strategist has all kinds of stuff in stock. Their website is totally separate from their retail store. The website is also years out of date, it doesn't communicate at all what the strategist does have in stock.

Forbidden planet, a big comic book store near union square also sells a lot of board games, and other fun goodies of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the Complete Strategist while in NY a week ago and was there for over an hour just looking at all the games. Bought a couple and then went back two days later to pick up a couple more. Make sure you have the BGG app on your phone for quick reviews on games that you don't know but look interesting.

I highly recommend it! A great shop and contrary to some on line reviews, I found the staff friendly and helpful. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Landsberg
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't know the website was so bad with updates, but it is a bit of a relief, to be honest.

I'll check out all of those places, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls