8 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spoiler Alert - question regarding the Inner Sanctum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Kuniega
United States
flag msg tools
We will be playing the second adventure this Thursday and I will be the keeper. Setting up the board and checking it out I examined objective 1B as I thought it would be great to get a Chthonian onto the board. It seems like a keeper win would be very very difficult with this specific objective as all that is required of the investigators is finding the last objective and having it with them when the last event card is revealed.

I am just somewhat confused on how this would play out. If while the investigators are milling around for clues I manage to get 4 cultists in the chapel and get the chthonian out they would only have 4 rounds to kill it and I could see that being difficult. But on the other hand if they were able to race through and collect the clues, regardless of the chthonian coming out or not they would win. I'm not saying that would make for a bad game as I'm sure it's going to still be intense but the investigator objective reads "the investigators win if the chthonian is killed, or if an investigator had Clue 1 when the last event card is revealed... "You've done it, you've stopped the abomination. The cultists will likely kill you, but you have saved the world!" Now I can understand that flavor text if they would kill it, but being that clue 1 is simply finding Marie and her telling you to get to the chapel because "they're planning something horrible there" I don't see how if the chthonian is on the board, they have Marie, and the last event card is flipped, how would they have "stopped" it? Obviously if the monster is out the ritual would have taken place ...

Sorry for the long post, I guess the question is less of "how is this a 'fair' game as I see how it can be very close, and more of: Can someone just clarify how this all thematically ties together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this one over the weekend and it only took two turns for the investigators to kill the Cthonian. I may have been playing recklessly but I don't think that it will be as difficult as you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are already assuming you will be unable to summon the Chtonian...

The reason the objective is there is that the invstigators have two different ways of winning the game. Their first priority should be to prevent you (the keeper) of summoning the Chtonian in the first place. Then, if that has failed, it is their objectiv to kill the Chtonian before it can escape the Mansion and wreak havoc upon the world.

Now, it is true that the base game endings are somewhat anticlimatic. Which kinda counts for every scenario...
There is a fan-created document out there that creates epiloges for the base game scenarios which may be more satisfactory.

If I may give a suggestion on balance. Nerf the Keeper with these house-rules:
- Summon Worshipper may be used once per altar per turn.
- The Chtonian, once summoned, may not leave the Chapel.

(obviously, do not announce the las one to your players before the objective is revealed)

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kuniega
United States
flag msg tools
Well no, I could see if I really devoted points to getting cultists on the board and into the chapel it could happen. Like I said just more a question of thematics with the events and clues tying together. But thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Great_Escape123 wrote:
But on the other hand if they were able to race through and collect the clues, regardless of the chthonian coming out or not they would win.

If you summon the Chthonian before Event 4, you'll win before Event 5 happens, so the investigators will lose even if they've found Clue 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find the following useful to look at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92877/mansions-base-sc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dar dar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a quick question? when u have four cultist and chtonian arrive at the end of keeper turn u still put a counter on event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.