Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interviews by an Optimist, # 109, with Scott Alden is up, in audio format on the Dice Tower.

Find it here:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Enjoy!

Tom Vasel
"Real men play board games"
www.thedicetower.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting interview. Obviously recorded before Tanga hit. The denial of the "please some of your customers..." quote caused me and the wife a good laugh.

Edit: Or if I finish listening to the podcast.... But the begining sounded like he was hinting at Tanga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
karrde wrote:
Obviously recorded before Tanga hit.

Sounds like it was recorded on the infamous Roads & Boats day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom - is there any way that the interviews can be fed from a different feed so that itunes can handle them separately?
The reason being, is that my iPod (and I suspect most peoples) will only hold the most recent episode, which is ok if I know the episodes are weekly, but if the interviews are done ad-hoc then the latest episode gets lost.

Any chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, in iTunes, go to Edit/Preferences/Podcasts - there is a pull down that allows you to change the number of podcasts to keep, e.g. most recent - all - last two - last three- etc, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not one to listen to audio podcasts (or podcasts in general except for Rick's video's from the various conventions) but I had to listen to this one!

Scott did say in the interview that Tanga was him, Derk, Jeremy (Uberplay?), and someone else, and they would launch in 30 days. Scott also said the puzzles are easy but I guess I just don't have the right mind set for them as I looked at the 1st 4 and gave up as nothing was clicking right for me.

Scott also mentioned wanting to setup "Geek Guilds" that would create user groups and dedicated forums for the "guild"... intended for gaming groups but not limited to. Hopefully that may mirror somewhat a yahoo group so a group can limit who can see the posts to members of their guild, and can control membership in the guild (because often times a post will contain someones home address and phone number where the group is meeting, etc).

Also mentioned is that Scott has some other big change planned for BGG that would extend BGG beyond boardgames. Both this change and the Geek Guilds it doesn't sound like will happen this year.

Note to Tom: I'm not sure if it's because you are on an International call (from Korea) but it sounds like either you or Scott had a radio or TV on in the background It also sounded like one and/or the other forgot to turn off call waiting as the audio would drop out... or it could have been the call was a half duplex connection? In any case, I realize it's not in the budget , but it would be really awesome if the podcasts also had transcripts available... as Scott I believe mentioned in this interview, he usually only listens to the start and end of the Dice Tower podcast, just not enough time (this podcast was 30 minutes), and I don't believe the podcasts are indexed so you can ask an audio player to skip to the next topic? With a transcript one can visually jump to topics of interest. Not to mention that I'm sure there are probably lots of boardgamers who are hearing impaired. Plus with a transcript you could reach the non-English speaking audience who could simply babblefish the transcript into their language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
Mike, in iTunes, go to Edit/Preferences/Podcasts - there is a pull down that allows you to change the number of podcasts to keep, e.g. most recent - all - last two - last three- etc, etc.

I realise that you can do this, but more fundamentally, if you have two disparate shows, then it would make sense to have two feeds. That way the listeners can control how often they update.

Personally I listen to so many podcasts that I can't keep a history on the ipod as there isn't room (I only have a Nano), and I don't want to miss out on the regular Dice Tower! But neither do I want to have to manually manage my ipod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Tom - is there any way that the interviews can be fed from a different feed so that itunes can handle them separately?
The reason being, is that my iPod (and I suspect most peoples) will only hold the most recent episode, which is ok if I know the episodes are weekly, but if the interviews are done ad-hoc then the latest episode gets lost.

Any chance?

Tom,

If you do this, I recommend three feeds.

a. Everything feed.
b. Dice Tower standard feed.
c. Dice Tower special episode feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjwills wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:

Any chance?

Tom,

If you do this, I recommend three feeds.

a. Everything feed.
b. Dice Tower standard feed.
c. Dice Tower special episode feed.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of this. How about I leave the feed as is, and then add two new feeds ("b" and "c"). Would that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of this. How about I leave the feed as is, and then add two new feeds ("b" and "c"). Would that work?

Perfect! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Thanks for the interview Tom.

Man I sounded unlike myself on that show... real tired sounding.

I didn't have anything else on in the background, I heard some feedback on the line, but figured it was my phone. I guess it was some crossover or kind of latency issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good interview! I enjoyed hearing from Scott again - even if it was a short one.

Like everyone else, I'm having a great time at TANGA, so what ever it is, it will have a big audience to start with. Good Luck with it!

What I wanna know is what is this "incident" I apparently missed completely here at the Geek?? Man, I thought with all the times I check in here daily, I'd be on top of the vast majority of things, but what ever it was, I totally missed out. Anyone care to shed some light? (No need to mention names please!).

Oh, and Aldie, in case you haven't been over to the Geek Microbadge Thread, there are a bunch over there you can take a look at, we haven't seen any new ones in awhile!!

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aargh. An audio file. I guess I'm out of the loop on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I have a 30 GB ipod so I'm spoiled! It does make sense to split these into separate feeds.

EDIT - in reply to Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
Gotcha. I have a 30 GB ipod so I'm spoiled! It does make sense to split these into separate feeds.

EDIT - in reply to Mike.

I gotta get myself a bigger ipod, I'm coming to the US in a few weeks, so may spoil myself while I'm there!

Note to Tom, thanks for agreeing to sort the feeds - I know it's not that much hassle for me, but I like things simple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Long time lurker and podcast listener chiming in...

Tom, when you get the different podcast feed links setup, can you post a link on this thread about what they each are?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. An enjoyable show. I listen to most of the episodes. Good to see one dedicated to someone we all know but have probably never heard speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
...it would be really awesome if the podcasts also had transcripts available... as Scott I believe mentioned in this interview, he usually only listens to the start and end of the Dice Tower podcast, just not enough time (this podcast was 30 minutes), and I don't believe the podcasts are indexed so you can ask an audio player to skip to the next topic? With a transcript one can visually jump to topics of interest. Not to mention that I'm sure there are probably lots of boardgamers who are hearing impaired. Plus with a transcript you could reach the non-English speaking audience who could simply babblefish the transcript into their language.
gee...now just WHERE had I also mentioned upon JUST this 'feature' as well, hmmmmm? Get them lazy Korean School kids busy working upon improving their "English" translation and transliteration 'skills' there eh? Maybe that will keep them OFF from the "Video" gaming sites as well huh?
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kantor
United States
Bay Village
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was just great to hear Scott on a podcast again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

The interviews are great! Keep it going! I wish all your old interviews were in audio format...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
Nice. An enjoyable show. I listen to most of the episodes. Good to see one dedicated to someone we all know but have probably never heard speak.

Then grab the old GeekSpeaks off BGG or iTunes and start listening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unco wrote:
Long time lurker and podcast listener chiming in...

Tom, when you get the different podcast feed links setup, can you post a link on this thread about what they each are?

Thanks!

Here they are:
http://www.boardgamenews.com/thedicetower/dicetower-basic.xm... - Just the ordinary episodes.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/thedicetower/dicetower-special.... - Interviews by an Optimist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder what that "next big thing" is?

And what about "GeekSeer"? Which is "coming soon".

Good to hear Aldie, who we don't hear regularly in podcasts anymore.

A good episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.