Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TL/DR: Wouldn't icehouse cards be cool? I post my thoughts on what I think these could be like, as well as asking for PNP help and posting the rules to the first game I could think of using a deck of these cards.

Last night my friend Nate had this idea, and now today I can't stop thinking about it. I can imagine lots of different games you could play with a set of pyramid cards. Looney Labs made Pyramid dice, so maybe they'll take this idea and run with it! In the mean time, I'd like to do up a print-and-play pdf or something.

Anyone know if there are nice looking generic icons for pyramid pieces? Any artist want to help out with this project?

Here's a list of the ideas for cards I have so far. Each would be represented with an illustration, so hopefully no need for text (ideally):

* 30 or 60 cards each representing a single piece (one of the 3 sizes) either standing up or laying on its side (So 6 for each of the colors, 30 if it's just the standard treehouse colors, 60 if we include Zeno colors.)
- example: a medium (2 pip) blue pyramid, laying on its side

* 6 cards representing generic (or "any" or "wild") colors: (maybe with dotted lines?)
- standing (all three sizes)
- laying down (all three sizes)

* cards representing pyramid relationships (wonder if we should try to indicate which one the card represents, or if they should just be a different type of card entirely):
- stacked on a size large (all three sizes)
- stacked on a size medium (just medium or small)
- size small stacked on a small
- tilted against another piece
- in a tree
- in a nest (is that the correct term?)

I'd definitely love to hear other ideas for cards.

Finally, I thought of perhaps the most basic game you could play with this deck, and either one or two treehouse sets (it doesn't have a name yet):

----

Game Idea

Play the most cards to win, playing as many as you can on your turn by placing only one pyramid.

Setup

Choose a start player. Shuffle the cards and deal 3 cards to each player, placing the rest face down as a draw pile.

Place all the pyramids (either a treehouse or two) to one side, making them available to all players. Leave a space in the center of the table for pyramids to be played into. Once pyramids are played, players may not move them or play them again.

Rules

On their turn, a player takes a pyramid from the available pile that matches one or more cards from their hand, placing it into the center of the table. They then place all the matching cards in a pile near them, and each will be worth a single point at the end of the game. The player then draws from the draw pile until they have exactly three cards again.

Game Over

The game ends when any of the following conditions are met:
a) either the last card is drawn from the deck, or
b) the last pyramid is placed, or
c) no players have any cards that match any of the pieces remaining to be played.

Whoever played the most cards wins the game.

----

I welcome feedback on any and/or all of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramid icons are available on the IceWiki:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Pyramid_Icons_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once in the process of building a set of cards that simply had all of the combinations of the differently sized pyramids arranged as on the pyramid dice in all of the different Treehouse colors.

I had planned on creating an abstract war game using them along the lines of Gorgias but found the card construction too much work.

All of that said, I would love to see a pyramids deck, whatever that may eventually be. Such a deck seems amenable to set-collection card games at the very least.

Indeed it seems perfect for expansions: the gray pyramids deck, the root beer pyramids deck, the electric yellow... you get the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Holman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a similar thing over in the Homeworlds File Section:

Deck Based Homeworlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Homeworlds cards look like the following:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I tend to prefer the pure (randomless) abstract strategy games, so real pyramids are my cup of tea, rather than cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW I tend to prefer the pure (randomless) abstract strategy games, so real pyramids are my cup of tea, rather than cards.

This is a totally fair opinion, and the game above, plus the one I'm working on this weekend (which is more of a worker placement type game) do have random card draws as a central mechanic... That said, I can imagine using this deck in ways that randomize game situations, but still give everyone equal footing. Heck, I'm sure you could design a game that doesn't have randomness at all by assigning each player a color, and giving them the cards in that color to do... something with. hehe.

SO MUCH POTENTIAL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to some random surfing today, I discovered there is a publisher who has a deck with pyramids on it... Not at all what I'm doing, but interesting enough that I thought I'd link it here. There are a couple of games that use the same mechanics, apparently, called Pyramideto and Geodeto. You can pay what you want for either deck on DriveThruCards, so I ordered some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP files eminent (in the next week or so, probably). Thought I'd share this screen shot. Art by August Brown.

Here is the back:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Make the pip count more obvious on the cards, especially on the top left corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
Suggestion: Make the pip count more obvious on the cards, especially on the top left corner.

The resolution I uploaded that image at isn't great. (Intentionally a screenshot and not at full resolution.) I think it will be easier to discern on the printed cards, but if not we will want to do something about it. I should have some in my hands later today for playtesting, and will know for sure at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:
PNP files eminent (in the next week or so, probably).

Was this project ever completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.